Podiatrist working with dermatolgist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of a podiatrist working in a dermatology practice? Since podiatrist see a lot of lower extremity skin conditions, I was wondering if this is possible or beneficial for a dermatology practice? What percentage of an average derm clinic involves lower extremity conditions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of a podiatrist working in a dermatology practice? Since podiatrist see a lot of lower extremity skin conditions, I was wondering if this is possible or beneficial for a dermatology practice? What percentage of an average derm clinic involves lower extremity conditions? Thanks!

Depends on the derm clinic and the patient population they are trying to attract. I've been to some practices that have an in-house podiatrist as they are running a wound healing clinic as well

If you are targeting a practice that is focused more on skin cancer surveillance, Mohs, cosmetics, etc., you may not get as far

Thank you for your reply. Do you think a podiatrist who also gets trained as a PA (Specializing in derm and gets training in cancer/Mohs) can provide a special niche for derm practices?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. Do you think a podiatrist who also gets trained as a PA (Specializing in derm and gets training in cancer/Mohs) can provide a special niche for derm practices?

The practice I'm a part of doesn't utilize midlevels (for now) so hopefully others can chime in. I would guess it would not help as the only reason to bring aboard a PA or a podiatrist is presumably for them to have a busy clinic. You'd either be focusing on one or the other so I wouldn't see any benefit in being "dual trained" as a derm PA and as a podiatrist. But again, hopefully a practice that employs PAs or podiatrists can chime in.

Reactions: 1 user

I've only seen Dermatology practices hire PAs, not podiatrists. Usually PAs are hired for very basic-level dermatology (i.e. primary care level dermatology), so that the dermatologist can effectively spend more time with patients who have much more complex dermatology problems, cosmetic derm patients, etc. The PA serves to help with the overall volume of the practice and effectively keeps the patient in network for all their derm needs, when they start getting older and things get more complex, in which then they'll see the physician.

Of course, like any practice, the line is sometimes blurred btw what the PA does, and what the physician does (i.e. some PAs doing cosmetic derm - such as lasers, etc.) I guess that's what good malpractice coverage is for: https://www.google.com/search?q=der...1366&bih=644#q=+laser+burns&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Thanks for all the reply. I appreciate the feedback