Podiatry vs Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist420

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am considering both of these fields. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each? Please discuss salary, difficulty of schooling, and difficulty of day-to-day job. I am aware that podiatrists need to do residency for 3 years which is 3 years of lower pay.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a vacation, man.
Seriously.

Even if it's just a long beach weekend or solo camping/fishing or hot springs spa or drive to a National Park with a couple nights at nearby hotel or whatever. You can do any of that for a grand or much less. When you're not happy, disconnect from stressors and do what makes you happy.

...You have a dentist username, you are asking pharmacy and podiatry questions. What's next? Chiro? OD?

You are teetering on a very expensive and very bad knee-jerk decision.
When you spend as much money and time as health doctoral degrees take, the career is nearly always the rest of your life (and also dictates how/when you can retire!).
You are EXACTLY the type of person/situation that overpriced for-profit health grad schools will prey on... and then you may leave after six figures debt, flunk out, or be dissatisfied with the job that you jumped into with little research, shadowing, or contemplation. It's imperative to understand and like what you're getting into.

Take a break, then come back and shadow the profession(s) that make the most sense, and proceed accordingly. Nobody know you like you.
You are from Alaska, so maybe some sunshine in Miami or LA for a weekend to chill and relax and do R&R??
Spend some time alone, take care of your sleep and your health, and collect your thoughts. You will be more motivated and refreshed for it. GL :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Take a vacation, man.
Seriously.

Even if it's just a long beach weekend or solo camping/fishing or hot springs spa or drive to a National Park with a couple nights at nearby hotel or whatever. You can do any of that for a grand or much less. When you're not happy, disconnect from stressors and do what makes you happy.

...You have a dentist username, you are asking pharmacy and podiatry questions. What's next? Chiro? OD?

You are teetering on a very expensive and very bad knee-jerk decision.
When you spend as much money and time as health doctoral degrees take, the career is nearly always the rest of your life (and also dictates how/when you can retire!).
You are EXACTLY the type of person/situation that overpriced for-profit health grad schools will prey on... and then you may leave after six figures debt, flunk out, or be dissatisfied with the job that you jumped into with little research, shadowing, or contemplation. It's imperative to understand and like what you're getting into.

Take a break, then come back and shadow the profession(s) that make the most sense, and proceed accordingly. Nobody know you like you.
Spend some time alone, take care of your sleep and your health, and collect your thoughts. You will be more motivated and refreshed for it. GL :thumbup:
This doesn't answer my question.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean this unkindly, but a lot of your asks/questions are essentially "do the work I should be doing". Want to find out about podiatry? Read about it and shadow someone. Go to the links that deanchat or whatever posted and then shadow someone in real life. The same probably applies to pharmacy. They are totally different fields and I could sit here and write about it, but why should I? Why can't you do what everyone in the history of the world who wanted to go into a medical field has done and shadow.

You couldn't get an interview to an MD school without shadowing and yet people are tripping overthemselves to commit to podiatry without an hour of shadowing and podiatry schools will let them because their admissions standards are so poor.

Podiatry has some good moments (and haha, some bad), but sometimes I cut a fungal toenail and it explodes and I literally can smell the stink of the fungus in my nose. Its on me, in my clothes, my hair, my skin. And when that happens I think about the fact that there are students out there who shadowed a podiatrist and they saw that happen. They saw the podiatrist cut nails and maybe they even smelled the fungus in the air too and they knew they couldn't do that. They knew not to apply. They knew that podiatry wasn't for them and that for all the fancy talk about helping people cutting toenails is disgusting.

And then here you and others come along just ready to commit without a second thought with no awareness of your future.

Go shadow. Smell the fungus. Smell the wet wounds. Smell the feet. And then come back and ask questions.

Reactions: 8 users
I don't mean this unkindly, but a lot of your asks/questions are essentially "do the work I should be doing". Want to find out about podiatry? Read about it and shadow someone. Go to the links that deanchat or whatever posted and then shadow someone in real life. The same probably applies to pharmacy. They are totally different fields and I could sit here and write about it, but why should I? Why can't you do what everyone in the history of the world who wanted to go into a medical field has done and shadow.

You couldn't get an interview to an MD school without shadowing and yet people are tripping overthemselves to commit to podiatry without an hour of shadowing and podiatry schools will let them because their admissions standards are so poor.

Podiatry has some good moments (and haha, some bad), but sometimes I cut a fungal toenail and it explodes and I literally can smell the stink of the fungus in my nose. Its on me, in my clothes, my hair, my skin. And when that happens I think about the fact that there are students out there who shadowed a podiatrist and they saw that happen. They saw the podiatrist cut nails and maybe they even smelled the fungus in the air too and they knew they couldn't do that. They knew not to apply. They knew that podiatry wasn't for them and that for all the fancy talk about helping people cutting toenails is disgusting.

And then here you and others come along just ready to commit without a second thought with no awareness of your future.

Go shadow. Smell the fungus. Smell the wet wounds. Smell the feet. And then come back and ask questions.
I was under the assumption that I was allowed to ask questions from professionals who have the experience to guide me. Shadowing won't answer the questions that I've posed. I have read about each field but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask more. Guess I was wrong.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
You are allowed to ask any question you like here, but you are then obligated to hear all responses, including those that will be displeasing to you. There are no "safe spaces" in professional school.

FWIW, DPM > PharmD, but that's like asking firing squad vs electric chair

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I was under the assumption that I was allowed to ask questions from professionals who have the experience to guide me. Shadowing won't answer the questions that I've posed. I have read about each field but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask more. Guess I was wrong.
Shadowing will answer the questions though. I put a list together on my own comparing the careers I was looking into. You know your values, not anyone else. Write down the top 5 things you value most; be it family, financial success, doing surgery, etc. Write a list of the careers you're looking at; pod, dent, pharm, whatever. Under each write the salary, cost of education, time spent in education, average stress level, satisfaction, etc. Go shadow first. That will tell you.

There have been plenty of threads each discussing salary, difficulty of schooling, difficulty of day to day job.
Please use search function in the podiatry forums.
You can reach out to current students in ask me anything threads to get a feel for how difficult schooling is.
You can shadow a podiatrist in multiple settings to see how difficult the day to day job is.

Why pick two professions that are very different, both of which have an admissions crisis for very good reasons? It sounds like desperation, but some podiatry school may very well offer you a seat.

I would say podiatry over pharmacy, but only if you are not a bottom feeder in podiatry school. The honeymoon period of being a future ankle surgeon wears of quick when the tests start. Podiatry schools used to have attrition rates as high as 25 percent. Then of the remaining 75 percent of students you really want to be in the top half academically if at all possible. So those students with low MCATs and mediocre GPAs from less rigorous colleges are often in for a rude awakening. The school/profession believed in you high is over fast and the debt adds up fast and you will slowly start to realize just making it through podiatry school is not good enough for a good residency or a good job like most healthcare professions. Those who have trouble getting into other desirable programs beyond just MD/DO are the ones more likely to fail out, not pass boards, get poor training, not become board certified in surgery and end up cutting toenails as an associate. Everyone thinks they will just try harder in school and out hustle the others when they enroll.

Most of the bottom feeder applicants to podiatry school, that still might get in and struggle or flunk out could still get their BSN and go onto to get their NP. If you really stand out CRNA is not impossible after your BSN and some good experience. Good pay, good benefits and jobs everywhere. There are some very bright BSNs and NPs, but the rigor to complete those programs is just not that difficult compared to podiatry school. Bottom line is even bottom feeder podiatry applicants almost always have other good options. Podiatry can be a good career for many and great career for some, but is really not a sure thing. Yes some careers are sure things as far as jobs and ROI.

The better podiatry applicants could get in a PA program, become a CRNA or maybe do a masters or improve MCAT slightly and get in DO or possibly some MD schools.

So IMO what type of student does podiatry make the most sense for currently? A good student who falls just short of DO school and really took a lot of time looking at mid level options also and decided on podiatry school knowing the true pros/cons and is willing to remain geographically open for training and jobs. A good percentage of these type applicants will be the ones who end up getting the good residencies and the organizational jobs or partner track with the good groups in good locations. Some that can not get a good job or are not geographically open will do well by opening their own office, but that is harder than it sounds and who knows what that will be like where you want to live by the time you get out. Some areas are already monopolized by hospital systems and large ortho and podiatry groups making it much harder to open solo.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
So IMO what type of student does podiatry make the most sense for currently? A good student who falls just short of DO school and really took a lot of time looking at mid level options also and decided on podiatry school knowing the true pros/cons and is willing to remain geographically open for training and jobs. A good percentage of these type applicants will be the ones who end up getting the good residencies and the organizational jobs or partner track with the good groups in good locations. Some that can not get a good job or are not geographically open will do well by opening their own office, but that is harder than it sounds and who knows what that will be like where you want to live by the time you get out. Some areas are already monopolized by hospital systems and large ortho and podiatry groups making it much harder to open solo.
This is me, right? Or am I just coping?
sciGPA ~3.5, cumGPA a 3.3 at a rigorous school, MCAT diagnostic around 506 with admittedly not that much studying. I don't want to go to DO school because I don't want to get stuck in FM or IM. I don't want to be a PA or NP because I don't want to have to be under someone else, and I want to do surgery. I'm geographically open and I have parents that will financially support me in opening my own practice.

sciGPA ~3.5, cumGPA a 3.3 at a rigorous school, MCAT diagnostic around 506 with admittedly not that much studying. I don't want to go to DO school because I don't want to get stuck in FM or IM. I don't want to be a PA or NP because I don't want to have to be under someone else, and I want to do surgery. I'm geographically open and I have parents that will financially support me in opening my own practice.
So you want to do surgery. How much surgery are you thinking about doing? The truth is that podiatry is a pathway to become a surgeon, but much of what we do requires little to no surgery at all, and most podiatrist don't even want do surgeries because it pays so little and not worth the time in the OR. Instead, you'll be dealing with diabetics, foot infections, ingrowns, warts, toenails and calluses, plantar fasciitis, tendon pain, etc that requires little to no surgery. Most can be treated conservatively. And did anyone tell you it all goes back to doing toenails...calluses...toenails! People coming into podiatry are tricked and lured into thinking they'll be the best foot and ankle surgeon doing all these grandiose and complex foot and ankle cases, but the reality is that they don't. Unless... you have a nice gig with ortho groups, msg, hospital, etc. but know that you'll be financially better doing the above in clinics to bring food to your table. It's all about the referrals and who's going to give you those referrals for surgeries. You can wait all day long and no referrals will go to you (maybe some luck) because traumas, fractures or ankle injuries are taken care of by orthopedist at the hospital before they get to you, if any. That's just the way it is. Everyone who's an attending now was in your shoes and everything is hindsight. Podiatry is not what its advertised to be.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
So you want to do surgery. How much surgery are you thinking about doing? The truth is that podiatry is a pathway to become a surgeon, but much of what we do requires little to no surgery at all, and most podiatrist don't even want do surgeries because it pays so little and not worth the time in the OR. Instead, you'll be dealing with diabetics, foot infections, ingrowns, warts, toenails and calluses, plantar fasciitis, tendon pain, etc that requires little to no surgery. Most can be treated conservatively. And did anyone tell you it all goes back to doing toenails...calluses...toenails! People coming into podiatry are tricked and lured into thinking they'll be the best foot and ankle surgeon doing all these grandiose and complex foot and ankle cases, but the reality is that they don't. Unless... you have a nice gig with ortho groups, msg, hospital, etc. but know that you'll be financially better doing the above in clinics to bring food to your table. It's all about the referrals and who's going to give you those referrals for surgeries. You can wait all day long and no referrals will go to you (maybe some luck) because traumas, fractures or ankle injuries are taken care of by orthopedist at the hospital before they get to you, if any. That's just the way it is. Everyone who's an attending now was in your shoes and everything is hindsight. Podiatry is not what its advertised to be.
I used to want to do general surgery but after lots of shadowing it doesn't seem like the life I want to have. I don't care about doing crazy complex cases, I'd be satisfied with being in the OR preferably once a week doing bunions or hammertoes. I love all the little in office procedures too. I'd probably be as satisfied doing several office procedures as I would be doing 1-3 cases in the OR.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to want to do general surgery but after lots of shadowing it doesn't seem like the life I want to have. I don't care about doing crazy complex cases, I'd be satisfied with being in the OR preferably once a week doing bunions or hammertoes. I love all the little in office procedures too. I'd probably be as satisfied doing several office procedures as I would be doing 1-3 cases in the OR.
Yah based on numbers you are likely to be in top half of your class and maybe top 25 percent or higher if you work hard.

2 Things

1.Do not discount midlevels. In my experience in most settings they practice fairly independently. It was different 30 years ago when PAs could not even write an Rx.

You might be able to get into a PA program or if you became a BSN you might be smart enough to become a CRNA. Many in podiatry school will be worse students than you and not even have these options. Most would still be smart enough though to get their BSN and go onto be a NP which is still a good career.

If you finish a podiatry residency you will cry with our job market there is just no getting around this. Being open geographically helps, but is not a gurantee you do not end up as an associate. You will probably feel less independent as an associate than most midlevels. Yes you might eventually get a better job or open your own practice. Jobs don’t come to you as a podiatrist just because you have experience….you have to chase them. Offices do not just open themselves …..it is hard and involves risk and a period of negative cash flow for most.

2. Being an above average student is good…..but as with everything in podiatry there is no guarantee. I feel with effort there is realistically no way you will fail out like some bottom feeders. Let’s say you finish top 25 percent or even top 10 percent in your class. You have a good chance at a good residency and will likely have more available externships and interviews, but that is not a guarantee for a good residency. Someone well below you in class rank that is better looking, more charismatic, a former college athlete etc might get the residency despite you being hard working, humble and a good student. This is life really and what you get with the supply versus demand for good residencies and good jobs. It is how life is for most outside of careers that involve a lot of time and education…..part of why many go through all the schooling and take on so much debt is to know there is a good job waiting for them right? Podiatry does not have this guarantee.

Now say you remain geographically open and get a typical residency. Well it is still probably good enough in many regards I suppose. Slight chance for a good job if extremely open geographically, but more realistic you will be an associate. You will not feel so independent and often feel rather trapped wondering how you become the successful podiatrist you had planned on becoming . Again midlevels have predictable good jobs everywhere. Want to go to a desirable city for a few years when you are young then move closer to home later to raise a family…….not a problem as a midlevel.

In podiatry you are looking for that one good opportunity or to make your own by opening an office. If good jobs were more readily available podiatry would be a great profession for those who shadowed and liked the work.

As per surgery it can be fun, but I have many colleagues who would cut back if they did not have ownership in a surgery center. They make good money from their surgery center, but the surgery itself not so much. As an attending complications from surgeries can lead to sleepless nights.

If you have also legitimately researched/shadowed midlevel options and still really want to do podiatry then do it. Try as hard as you can though to realize the real risks involved. Getting into podiatry school is the easy part, but you will someday face the less than good job market.

Last edited:
My recommendation if you should do podiatry or not: Don't.

SoleScholar - go into podiatric medicine, you'll do well now and in the future.

It seems many think DO is preferable to DPM, perhaps it's how you look at the various opportunities. If you want to go into primary care then DO certainly is a better choice and is the path to take....65-75% of DO graduates will be matching in "primary care". 8.0% don't match, nobody talks about that. You do the math on matching into a "specialty" even though it may not be your top choice. Oh, DO schools opening everywhere too and competition for residency programs brings tremendous stress. Very few students love medical school whether MD, DO or DPM because it's hard stressful work to get the premier residency opportunities. There will never be a world where everyone is happy with their residency placement.

DPM students like the fact they will specialize in the foot and ankle from the beginning and be trained surgically, while others want to keep other specialties open so a DPM degree isn't an option. It's a free world....we all want to match desires, talents, time and money to our occupational goals and "work/life harmony"....Borrowed the term from Dr. Cicchinelli. Happy Holidays, All! Dr. Jensen

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I am considering both of these fields. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each? Please discuss salary, difficulty of schooling, and difficulty of day-to-day job. I am aware that podiatrists need to do residency for 3 years which is 3 years of lower pay.

Thank you.

At this point in time, I would not go to any professional school unless it was an MD school in the cheapest areas.

The amount professional school costs post-covid is just too much imo, and I would probably stay away from dentistry, OD, DO, pharmacy, podiatry, etc. at this point in time.

I mean dentistry tuition alone is like 400k at some schools now, without including the cost of living. It's just getting absurd.

I wouldn't do podiatry now with the current tuition, it's just getting ridiculous.

Do you want to be a podiatrist and enjoy your 80-120k salary with a side of 300k+ debt...?

Do not, and I cannot stress this enough. Do not. Go into podiatry.

If you shadow a podiatrist and they say they are loving it they aren't, they are lying to make themselves feel better.