Point system micromanagement working in PBM? How do you guys feel ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRx1986

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, guys . I am receptive to all feedback , critique , or calling out my bs if I’m wrong but what do you guys think about the following - I worked as a retail pharmacist for one of the big chains for nearly a decade as salaried and towards the end hourly pharmacist and found there was far more flexibility with scheduling . If I needed to take care of an errand and arrived 15-20 minutes later or I am sick and have no more PTO/PST, i could call out and that was the end of it - what was the consequence if i had no more PTO/PST and i'm sick or have an emergency ? Nothing- i simply didn't get paid for the day and that was it . No points that accumulate and go against you . If you needed to leave a little earlier, you can ask another pharmacist colleague if they were cool with that and take off if needed . You felt more like a professional who has some discretion over work time . Fast forward 1.5 years into my current role as a consult pharmacist working for a PBM , and anytime you have an emergency , need to leave a little earlier , or even clock in 5 minutes late, it seems to be a problem because the company has some “point system “ in which they target you for any “unscheduled absence” whether it is an emergency or not . They seem to expect you to make up even 45 minutes of the time on some random day or time you have off or you’re dinged with a point or “occurrence “. It is demeaning and honestly makes you as a pharmacist feel like you are nothing more to them than a cashier or some hourly wage slave . Here’s a great example - you work 40 hours a week, you have run out of PTO or PST for the year and you have to leave 2 or 3 hours early just once . Well, guess what ? Instead of just not paying you for those 2 or 3 hours, they expect you to make it up on another day or time that same week and if you don’t or can’t because of other obligations , you get punished with a point as if in you’re in junior high or high school . In my 11 years as a pharmacist , I never faced that problem . If I didn’t work the full 40 hours for the week and only worked 35 hours and have no more PTO to use, that would be my problem and I would simply be paid for 35 hours and that’s it . No one at the chains cared to punish a professional with points . It seems childish and inappropriate for a doctorate holding professional . Yesterday half way through my shift , I had to take 45 minutes after my lunch due to a family emergency involving a sick relative and when I got back , the supervisor asked me about making up the 45 minutes since I don’t have PTO. I told her I would be ok starting 45 minutes earlier on a shift next week , but no- the company has a policy in place in which you must make up that time the same week . The supervisor very well knew I had a 3 day planned weekend coming up . I told him I would be unable to make up those 45 minutes and that it was somewhat ridiculous holding a professional accountable for every minute or hour not worked and that life happens even after you run out of PTO/PST. I told him I don’t understand what’s the problem with simply not paying me for those 45 minutes - don’t pay me and that’s it , it’s my loss , not theirs . Surprisingly, my supervisor did acknowledge the point system the PBM has in place is punitive . Other issues - I’ve had a case of covid this year after I used up my time off - guess what ? That’s considered an “unscheduled absence” and you can take the day off but get points . I don’t know if this rigid policy is in place because it’s a call center rph job . And by the way, I am a top performer and like the job . All I do is counsel patients and reinforce my knowledge everyday . But **** happens . Life happens . In retail , I knew many other pharmacists and we’d swap shifts , if someone came in 10 minutes late, it wasn’t a problem . Here they are sticklers down to 1 minute . I am not used to such rigid policies and am seriously thinking of leaving once I reach 2 years in this role (6 months from now ). I feel like I’m their servant and not a professional . This role is WFH. If I didn’t work 40 hours that week, had an emergency and called out last moment because I woke up sick or some other issue and have no PST or PTO, who gives a damn ? Don’t pay me . Move on . It’s my problem . I’ve never worked in a setting in which they expect you to make it up or you get “points”. There is no room for professional discretion with the ability to swap a shift with a colleague, get sick unexpectedly without getting an absent point etc . Funny thing is every couple of months they are hiring pharmacists and state it’s the because the pharmacy is growing ….hmmmmm…I’m starting to feel it’s because of high turnover . I told the supervisor straight out I will take the “occurrence” but I was not going to account for every goddamn minute if I have a family emergency or something happens to me . I’ve been in this role now for 1.5 years, am at the top in terms of metrics per my supervisor , and it’s just easy . I make about $3.60 less than retail now . I truly don’t understand what’s the issue with simply not paying the person if they worked 38 hours instead of 40. Even my “attendance” metric is good . Am I a cashier or a factory worker for crying out loud ? I don’t owe anyone anything nor am I a servant to anybody . I am waiting to reach 2 years in the position in order to look good and stable and look for other roles . Never had an issue in a decade of work . Please enlighten me . Thanks .

Members don't see this ad.

You would hate my employer. Absolutely no grace whatsoever and no unpaid time off. It is by far the most rigid and well enforced attendance policy I have ever encountered. I will say it is kinda nice that it is fairly enforced (no favorites) and it is kind of nice that people are actually held accountable.

Having said that, I absolutely hate how difficult it is to get PTO approved and how restrictive all our attendance policies are.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am receptive to all feedback , critique , or calling out my bs if I’m wrong but what do you guys think about the following - I feel like I’m their servant and not a professional . Am I a cashier or a factory worker for crying out loud ? I don’t owe anyone anything nor am I a servant to anybody .
Selectively quoting.

The only defense and right you have as a worker in a capitalist society is to whom you sell your labor to.

You are incorrect that you don’t owe anyone anything. They agreed to pay you for fair labor from you (so this is not like illegal or undescribed labor). If they want to treat you like a servant, that is what you are. You need to find an environment or work that fits your expectations but also your employers.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand where you’re coming from but also understand that’s the deal if you’re still working for UHG. I often felt the attendance policy was harsh when I was there, but I never faced any issues. Feel free to message me if you’d like.

I don’t get why you think you should get special treatment over “cashier or a factory worker”?

Reactions: 1 users