Pointers for NYS MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to study for NYS MPJE...anything I should focus on?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just found out I passed today.....I would definitely say know the rules for Controlled Substances inside out, like rules for refills,partials, oral prescriptions for controls, it gets complicated yea but a good part of my test were scenario questions revolving around these. I also had a good amount of questions regarding rules for pharmacies repackaging and manufacturing, so those are also good topics to study. Other than that, the test kinda had 1-2 questions for everywhere, and plenty of stuff I didn't study/have no clue where they got the question from. It was a lot of situational, best educated guess questions. Whenever a requirement regarding a number (such as within how many days must you notify the board for a change of address) is mentioned, definitely know it.

In terms of what I used I went with Cutie's notes to study, that's all. I've heard the BOP website has some info in case you don't have any notes. Hopefully this helps, honestly there's probably a whole lot of stuff on the test you won't know, just b/c study guides dont talk about it, but if you get the requirements memorized and pick reasonable answers for the guess questions I think till be ok. Most people seem to be okay

I mainly studied the materials from the BOP, I didn't buy Dr. Cutie's notes. Know your numbers as MrClue stated. Don't over-think the situational questions, use common sense.

Good Luck!

I recently took the NY MPJE and failed with a 69; devastated about the grade since I failed within such a small margin. I don't know how to study differently. I've been using Dr. Cuties law review notes and was hoping to get clarification about a few areas. Any help is appreciated!!!

a) PA prescribing
: I understand that PA's have the authority to prescribe both controlled + non-controlled medications in out-patient or in-patient settings; but when are they required to obtain their supervisors signature? Is it only for CS? Is it only within in-patient/hospital/institutional settings? (and would the same regulations apply to e-Rx's as well?)

b) Partial fill of CS: in NYS after dispensing a 'partial fill', does the remaining balance become automatically void for C-II and C-IV benzodiazepines in any circumstance, or only when the patient asks for a partial fill? And does the "dispense within 72 hrs'' protocol only apply to situations where there isn't a sufficient quantity of that medication in stock? (Does the remaining balance of C-II or C-IV benzo's become void in this scenario as well?)

c) I understand that in NYS, CS prescriptions for "office use" is prohibited by law however, would a DEA registered practitioner be allowed to prescribe CS for their own individual treatment/clinical use, or even for that of a family member/relative? Or would it have to be prescribed by someone else?

d) Controlled substance inventories are required to be done biennially (every 2 years), but are the records to be kept on premises for 2 or 5 years? (I've seen both printed in Dr. Cutie's notes)

e) DEA Form 41: in the event of breakage or spillage, is it required for the disposal of recoverable or non-recoverable substances?

f) Do any members of law enforcement (police officers, investigators, attorney/prosecutors, etc.) have the authority to see patients prescription records at anytime? In those circumstances is the pharmacist required to let them access this information (and if so, under what conditions)?

g) In an institutional/in-patient setting where the pharmacy might have specific hours of operation, after the closing of the pharmacy department, does any member of clinical hospital staff (doctors, PA's, nurses, NP's, etc) have any level of access to the pharmacy?