Politically Correct BS aside, why do you REALLY want to be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mafunk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you apply to medical school they always want to know, why do you want to be doctor? Putting aside all politically correct BS, just lay your cards down... why do you really want to be a doctor. I'll go first... here is my totally uncensored, un pc answer

1. I've always wanted to be a doctor, since I was eight year old. But I dropped out of high school and had a rough young adult life. By the time i got my head on straight I had two kids and thought I couldn't be a doctor. Then after more living I realized that the only thing holding me back is myself, and I decided that I wanted to pursue my dream of being a doctor.

2. I'm going to be an empty nester.. My oldest will be out of the house, and I want to feel useful to the world. So once he is gone, I want to pursue my dream of becoming a doctor as a way to stay useful and needed in the world

3. My oldest was special needs and I've dedicated the last 19 years to him. now that he is doing well, I have all this maternal/healing energy that needs a point of focus. I figure I will focus it on healing others... being a doctor.

4. I've been in marketing an nonprofit for over a decade. While I've helped many people, often I still feel like what I'm doing is not that important. I want to be a doctor because keeping people alive and healthy, imho, is the most important thing I can do.

5. As a web developer and marketing professional I feel like there are so many people who (mistakenly) believe they can do what I do. They think that anyone can be marketer. They don't realize the hard work and knowledge it takes to be a pro. As a doctor I don't think I'll have to deal with the neighbors wife thinking she can do my job.

6. I believe that a have a true calling/gift to heal others. I've had other(female) doctors tell me that I have an amazing bedside manner and will make a great doctor.

7. I'm going to be 50 yrs old, 60 yrs old, etc no matter what I do. I might as well get to that age pursing my dream of helping others.

8. My dad was a poor migrant worker and my mother was a poor european immigrant. I want to help provide medical care to 'my people' - making all of my family very proud and happy for the sacrifices and suffering that they endured for the next generation

Members don't see this ad.

All those sound like pretty good, pc responses that adcoms would expect/ like to see.

Heres my honestly gritty answer.
I find I've a passion giving back to the world and do so with my extensive volunteering. However, I also have a passion for science and understanding the world we live in, as evidenced by my extensive rocket scientist experience. I wasn't put on this earth to paint houses for the disadvantaged on the weekends and can be of better use if I merged my two passions in becoming a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
I am still really defining this but here goes:

I am pretty sure I always wanted to be a doctor but I was never one to think about it a lot. I remember in Ms. Prescott's class I was asked what I wanted to be (2nd grade) and I said I wanted to be a nurse because I wanted to help people get better. She then asked me why I wanted to be a nurse instead of a doctor. I sat there for a minute and said I didn't think girls could be doctors. When she told me that of course girls could be doctors, I decided I would do that.

As stated above, I didn't think about it a lot and when I got to college I had almost forgotten. I looked around at other things and came back to doctor but not one for going all in, I chose to major in Bioengineering- it covered most of the prereqs. and if I couldn't get in I would have a back up. That is probably the worst decision for a direct to med school plan I could have made because the class load killed my self esteem and I was sure I was too stupid to be a doctor. I didn't even finish the last two prereqs I had to take.

Working as an engineer I have many of the things I find important: a challenge, a variety of work, some human interaction, science, and critical thinking. If this was enough I would not be applying to med school because the only thing on this list that would improve is the human interaction.

What is missing from this list is a sense of purpose. That original response of a 2nd grader that says I want to help people get better. There are plenty of other careers I could do that would fulfill that sense of purpose (my parents are great examples and are really inspiring in this aspect) but to combine everything on my list the only thing I see fitting the bill is being a doctor.

Being completely honest I would have to add to the list that I would like to be in a respected field and be able to pay my bills (even if they are 6 digit debt bills!) and I thought those would be higher on my list but really the more I think about it, the less true that is. I could stay where I am and do that (minus the 6 digit debt).

Long story short (sorry, I have been needing to write this down so it just sorta happened), the number one reason is the sense of purpose. Medicine will give me a sense of purpose in a way I cannot experience where I am. I will be able to directly help people rather than hopefully work a job where my little step in the process might help make something that might someday get to someone to help them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to say my want or need to be a doctor didn't come when I was a young kid. I actually grew up wanting to go in to the military to help and protect others.

When I was in my mid teen I started taking an interest in the human body, no not puberty :rolleyes:. I was reading different books that were geared toward anatomy and different aspects of medicine. I still wanted to go into the military, but started thinking about how helping others that were sick would be a great thing to do and a great feeling.

I never thought about pursuing medicine due to no encouragement and little funding, or at least knowledge about funding. Since I didn't have the drive I dropped out of High School and got my GED then about 5 years later got my Associates in Web Design, but never was really into it.

My working career has always been geared around helping others, but the help I would render just didn't seem like the right type. I have always liked helping others when they are injured or not feeling well, so I think this is a message I didn't get till recently that I should be helping others for a living with the right knowledge base. This was my determination that I wanted to be a Physician.

Sorry for the ramble, sometimes it's hard to get to the point :D.

My honest, occasionally less than serious reasons...

1.) I've talked myself out of it for a good chunk of my life, only to realize the arguments I used against the idea were ones that could actually support it. ie genuine desire to help people, not confident to the point of near arrogance and realize the serious nature of what I'd be responsible for as a physician, high level of empathy (too high?), desire to avoid those only in it for the money or status, etc. Basically it was comparing myself to a lot of docs and pre-meds around me going I'm just not wired like that. Only I've now realized that's probably a good thing. (and no that's not directed at all pre-meds, just my local circle who seemed to be a particularly annoying strain :p )

2.) I like to read a lot of sci stuff for fun, especially medical type stuff. If I'm a doctor it will substantially cut down on the amount of grief I get for being a geek, since it will be expected that I'm fascinated by this stuff. :laugh:

3.) I enjoy the human connection and interacting with people, those that qualify as human anyway.

4.) I want the sense of purpose, not to lie awake and go is this what I'm going to do everyday? Yet I can also be satisfied with small rewards and intangibles.

4.) I grew up rescuing whatever lost or abandoned animal found it's way to me. I'm the go to person when my friends need to talk about something serious or need advice and they don't feel comfortable telling anyone else. I just can't stand to see someone hurting without wanting to reach out and help them.

Couple that with my insatiable curiosity and the fact that I love thinking about this stuff, problem solving, the interaction with people, and enjoy putting in a solid days work there isn't anything that fits quite as well to satisfy everything I'm passionate about.

I'm amused at how many of these answers are actually pretty pc :) I have the feeling the OP was looking for more people saying "I'm in it for the money and to get to cut people open!"

Anyways, I'm in it to help people. I had a rough childhood, missed a lot of school in high school to take care of my sick parent, and helped my friends work out their own medical issues (lots of teen pregnancies with complications). I want to give back to the lower income communities and be a reliable, trustworthy medical resource who can provide a depth of empathy because yes, I have survived only because my family was on government aid, and yes, I do have siblings who are in prison, and, why yes, I understand you have to pick between school and survival - let's find a way to make it work.

I love working with patients in a medical setting, and everything else I have tried doesn't give me that same sense of accomplishment when I go home at night. I love solving the puzzle of medical treatment, and I'm very interested in it.

And I want to be a doctor because I don't think I could be happy taking orders from others for the rest of my life. I have intense admiration for nurses, medics, and PAs, but after some point, I want to make my own decision, and I don't think I would be as happy as a second in command in perpetuity.

Also, there is nothing like the feeling of having a patient look at you, smile, and say "Thanks."

For a long time I have wanted to change my last name to Feelgood and have 80's rock music play as I make people feel alright.

This only works if I am a doctor.

For a long time I have wanted to change my last name to Feelgood and have 80's rock music play as I make people feel alright.

This only works if I am a doctor.

I had an amusing story from an older friend the other day - he was going in to take his MCAT, and the woman checking him in said, "Is there a Mr. Hack here?"

He raised his hand.

She grinned at him and said, in a thick boston accent, "Doctor Hack? You're going to be Doctor Hack, eh? What're you gonna be, a surgeon?"

:laugh:

I was completely sure I wanted to do con law all through high school and into college. But my freshman year of college, I fell in love with biology (I had a near-religious experience dissecting chick embryos :laugh:) and I started trying to figure out how to incorporate that into a future career. My parents are academics, and I know I don't want to go into academia - the push to publish research grind just isn't for me. I've always wanted to do something concrete, something where I'm actually producing or changing something, not just writing or thinking about things.

Add to that a certain idealism, plus a number of years being very very ill and therefore learning about the medical system from a patient's point of view, and being a doctor has made more and more sense.

I remember in Ms. Prescott's class I was asked what I wanted to be (2nd grade) and I said I wanted to be a nurse because I wanted to help people get better. She then asked me why I wanted to be a nurse instead of a doctor. I sat there for a minute and said I didn't think girls could be doctors. When she told me that of course girls could be doctors, I decided I would do that.

Huge applause for Ms. Prescott!

I'm another one who had a pretty good career going but was lacking that sense of purpose. After a dramatic event (stillbirth of my daughter), the idea of having a purpose became much more important to me. Here's an excerpt from my PS.

Little Victoria died an hour before her birth, but in many ways she taught me more about life than anybody else. In the months following our loss, I focused a great deal of energy on re-evaluating my priorities and aspirations. I gained a greater appreciation for the miracle of life and the special people in my own. Ambitions I had earlier dismissed as impossible or impractical suddenly became achievable and deeply meaningful. My interest in medicine had been growing for years, but it was my experience with Victoria that gave me the "permission" I needed to pursue it.

Most if not all people go into medicine because they want to save lives, but no one really discusses dealing with death. I want to be the one who can provide comfort and assistance even when there is no good news to be had.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most if not all people go into medicine because they want to save lives, but no one really discusses dealing with death. I want to be the one who can provide comfort and assistance even when there is no good news to be had.

I'm impressed. I personally feel very strongly about palliative care but don't discuss it as it is amazing how many Dr's are not comfortable with death and dying.

I want to be a Doctor because:

I feel strongly that life is to be used and given away - and with the desire to make something out of my life that is tangibly helping others, I want to meet that desire with equal level of ability and skill.

Challenges motivate me. If you're going to be doing something for 8 or 10 years of your life, at least I know I'm in a challenging, rewarding field. I'm just a pre-med, but I could not recount the times when I was at work landscaping, plowing snow, and getting whacked with the realization that this was not what I wanted to do. I think of that often when I'm studying physics...

I would be a good doctor. For 7 years now the field has interested me and I have dabbled in it (EMT, Med assistant) I like long hours. I enjoy getting up at 2AM to answer an EMS call. I care about people and can honestly say that money is not my motivating factor.

There's more...I love talking about it, but I feel (like Tom, father of eight) that you only live once and I'm not ready to settle for "what ifs". If I fail, I fail, but I want to take the shot and spend myself for something I believe I can and should be.

someone mentioned not wanting to take orders for the rest of their career...

I have to admit one of the reasons I want to be a doctor or PA is because I want more control/input over the direction of my patient's care.

I already posted, but I guess I was just thinking how much my profile quote sums up the way I hope to live my life.

I'd also like to say I'm happy to be in this with such a great group of people. :hello:

As a doctor I don't think I'll have to deal with the neighbors wife thinking she can do my job.

Unless your neighbor's wife is a nurse...;)

I have to admit one of the reasons I want to be a doctor or PA is because I want more control/input over the direction of my patient's care.

Make sure you shadow doctors or PAs before you make the plunge. You do have some degree of control over patient care, but your patient's care is also dictated by other factors (insurance, for example). If you think the doctor makes 100% of the calls in patient care you're in for a disappointment. Wait until your patient refuses everything you suggest because "that's not what Dr. Oz said."

Anyway, medicine is a great career, but go into it knowing what to expect. If you expect the same kind of autonomy and respect that doctos of old used to enjoy, you're in for a rude awakening.

Just being realistic, not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Good luck to all of you applying to medical school. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat.

I got my BS in psych and I felt rather unfulfilled because before I graduated I wanted to learn more about the brain. I took a physiological psych lab my senior year and we watched a video about a lady with parkinson's who received deep brain stimulation surgery and that's when I knew that I wanted to work with the brain, but my grades sucked. A year later I was determined to find a way to follow my passion and I realized the neurology would be a better choice than trying to be a neuropsychologist. And here I am. The idea teaching in a specialized field also interest me.

I suppose that I'll weigh in on this. In no particular order:

I'm a scientist and want whatever field I choose to require a commitment to science and continuing self-education.

Medicine offers a continuing opportunity for research. Grant writing and a life at the bench don't interest me, but medicine still offers the chance to contribute to our understanding of physiology, illness, and how we treat and manage diseases.

Medicine offers and requires a commitment to teaching - patients, students, residents, and colleagues. All of it. I love teaching and any field that I choose has to have a significant teaching component.

Finally, I want to apply all these things to the treatment of our patients. Nothing more really profound to be said here - I wish there were. But, it's really pretty much as simple as this.

Grant writing and a life at the bench don't interest me, but medicine still offers the chance to contribute to our understanding of physiology, illness, and how we treat and manage diseases.

I totally agree. I also consider myself a scientist but the complete and total lack of human interaction combined with academic selfishness turns me off to lab research. I think it is both the direct contribution that doctors can make to their patients combined with the dynamic nature of medical science that make this field so exciting to me.

Make sure you shadow doctors or PAs before you make the plunge. You do have some degree of control over patient care, but your patient's care is also dictated by other factors (insurance, for example). If you think the doctor makes 100% of the calls in patient care you're in for a disappointment. Wait until your patient refuses everything you suggest because "that's not what Dr. Oz said."

Thank you Shinken for your comments. I have been fortunate enough to shadow Doctors, PAs, work in a free medical clinic and also work in Triage at a community clinic. Through that I have had a taste of what it is like to deal with non-compliant patients, the coding acrobats a health care provider must deal with to try to help a patient, HIPPA, and the relationships between PA's vs Doctors.

I see that Doctors are definitely 'handcuffed' by insurance, HIPPA, bureaucracy and all that jazz. But still they seem to have far more autonomy and ability to make decisions regarding patient care than some other direct care medical providers. Of course, I'm sure the full gravity of the situation can not be realized until one is actually an attending

Unglamorous as it is.

To feel useful. To have a good job. One that provides me with enough to do mentally that I feel like I'm using my brain and not just my cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems exclusively.

One that can enable me to support an artist. In an urban environment in california. The only place I'll ever not feel out of place.

One that correctly aligns with my sense of duty and service. Not one that I have to grease anyone for a buck. Or convince anyone of anything I don't believe myself.

That's about it. I don't believe in sueprhero myths of medicine. Think it's ridiculous. But as for standing by someone in the palliative sense. After the circus has moved on. Beautiful state of mind--I agree.

Last edited:
I've loved science since I was young, and became fascinated with virology and epidemiology in the 6th grade when someone from the CDC did a presentation in my science class. I tried other boring fields but I've always loved science. It wasn't until I had a really awesome mentor and boss who had her MS in Nursing push me toward doing what I enjoyed, instead of what was just paying the bills. From that point in my life on I've wanted something that would be out of the ordinary, challenging on a daily basis, based in science, and that would allow me to learn for the rest of my career. The fact that I get to help people and earn a livable wage is incidental, to be honest. I like helping but it is not my primary drive in becoming a doctor.

A bit selfish, but we are being honest.

I became interested in the medical field through a course on forensics while pursuing my degree in Anthropology. I started my research on what it would take to become a pathologist and found out that the human body is amazingly interesting.

I want to be a doctor for the mental challenge. I want to solve the problems that plague people. I pursued nursing because I didn't think that I had what it really took grade-wise to be a doctor, but now I am adamant that I will. The scope of nursing is important, but I want the ability to make the real decision that influences the course of a patient's progress. I don't want to play a support role for the rest of my career.

Unglamorous as it is.

To feel useful. To have a good job. One that provides me with enough to do mentally that I feel like I'm using my brain and not just my cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems exclusively........

One that correctly aligns with my sense of duty and service. Not one that I have to grease anyone for a buck. Or convince anyone of anything I don't believe myself.
:thumbup: Yes, I totally agree.

I did it because it was one of the handful of professions worthy of me.

There's a lot to hate about it, ******* colleagues, information overload, endless competition.

But it could be worse, DUMB colleagues, and using rote skill everyday would be a nightmare.

Plus, after the preclinical years, which are an absolutely awful memorization-fest, the clinical years actually involve a lot of critical thinking.

I still hate the commitment and energy it takes sometimes, but that's because I'm naturally lazy

It's the economy, stupid!

(Kidding, kidding).

Because I like to read useful stuff. And listen to people. And really, this is the only job where people actually NEED to do that, AND be a workaholic. There are lots of jobs where people can read and listen, but it's mostly swine getting the pearls. Not that that doesn't happen in clinic sometimes too, but it doesn't feel as hopeless to me there as it did in the classroom.

I sincerely hope that you are never my physician.

Dude. Go make love to your science books. Smoke something. And relax.

It was tongue and cheek. And the way any sane person should regard themselves. As protective of your oncoming slaughter of normalcy.

There will be time enough for all of us to be tried and judged by god, country, jury and janitor.

Some of your ideal will be the first to put the needle in their arm. Or the pistol into their mouth. Or the attach the hose from the tailpipe. Or just write the script for nighty-nights.

On their way to glory. Family and friends and bridges of life burned.

Because I played healers in World of Warcraft.

Reactions: 2 users
I am pre-vet, not pre-med...

I never wanted to do anything else but I didn't know about student loans as a kid so I had little hope of it happening. I got married and had a couple kids young and put ME on hold. Now the kids are older and I traded in that hubby for a more supportive model and here I am just starting my pre-reqs.

I just can't see myself doing anything else. I need to use my brain to be happy.

Edit to add: I always played a healer in WoW too ;) But mine is a Druid.

I am pre-vet, not pre-med...

I never wanted to do anything else but I didn't know about student loans as a kid so I had little hope of it happening. I got married and had a couple kids young and put ME on hold. Now the kids are older and I traded in that hubby for a more supportive model and here I am just starting my pre-reqs.

I just can't see myself doing anything else. I need to use my brain to be happy.

Edit to add: I always played a healer in WoW too ;) But mine is a Druid.

I also played a druid healer :). Played for years and years.

(Same name as my username).

I always thought druids wanted to do things other than heal. ;)

Because being a doctor is cool as ****. :)

Ok, so other than the usual PC stuff:
I love to fix things. In my other jobs I've always been happiest when I've had to use my brain and negotiation skills to solve problems. I enjoy interacting with people, and have always been particularly drawn to people and animals that are broken or hurting. I'll be honest - this isn't a totally selfless thing. Seeing a living being's life improve because of something I did is a tiny bit of a power trip, and of course it's so incredibly rewarding to help others.

I'm happiest when I'm challenged intellectually. I'm a workaholic. No matter what job I have, I will bring it home with me, so it's important that I have a job that I enjoy most of the time.

Oh, hell, I'm definitely one of the selfish ones. In the end, it comes down to my highly specific professional tastes. What I do for a living needs to meet the following criteria (not in order of importance, by the way):

• Significant, complex, broad body of knowledge. (I get bored easily.)
  • An applied science, rather than a pure one. (I enjoy science, but it's not inherently thrilling to me.)
  • Cool ****. (At the end of the day, I need to be able to say "Whee!" and get genuinely excited about what I do.)
  • Professional authority/autonomy. (Within my scope of practice, I'm the one to have the responsibility and call the shots.)
  • Financial security. (I make six figures in my current field, and yeah, I'm a bad person; I'm not going to take a pay cut.)
  • Crises. (Adrenaline junkie. And they have to be spontaneous crises, rather than artificially-induced deadline-oriented crises.)
  • The opportunity to be a rock star. (Self-explanatory.)
  • Making a difference. (You can make a difference in other ways, but direct patient care is such an amazing rush.)

My first career had all of these things. But nobody does my first career for ever, least of all me; people burn out. I always knew I would need a second one. I just never knew it was going to be medicine.

Finally, to the person who invoked Burnett's Law: Shame on you. Not that I think it'll matter, since I expect that the above will be judged similarly nonvalid in your eyes.

Reactions: 1 user
mafunk said:
When you apply to medical school they always want to know, why do you want to be doctor? Putting aside all politically correct BS, just lay your cards down... why do you really want to be a doctor.
See, the problem I have is that I *don't* want to be a doctor, and it's too late. My medical school refuses to take the dang degree back; they said something about lying in a bed I made, which makes no sense at all to me since I never sleep anyway. Plus, whenever I'm at the hospital, people respectfully address me as "Doctor," which is not even my name. Drives me nuts. I mean, can't they read? It clearly says, "QofQuimica, MD, PhD" on my ID badge, not "Doctor"! Also, that's Q of KEEM-ee-ka, not KWIM-ick-a, for those of you who can't pronounce a simple Spanish word.

Ok, so I kind of like people thanking me for saving their life, especially when I really have helped save their life. It happens on occasion. I also like being able to experiment on people. If you call it "clinical judgment," you don't even need to have IRB approval first. And I like the drugs. Studying them, of course, not taking them.

As a doctor I don't think I'll have to deal with the neighbors wife thinking she can do my job.
Au contraire. In fact, even your patients will often think that they can do what you do, down to coming in and telling you what their diagnosis is and what you need to do to treat them. Sometimes I have to just look at someone and say, "hmm, seems like you've been talking with Dr. Google." Usually they laugh, because it's true. Everyone is an amateur doctor these days.
Oh, be prepared to take orders. Many of them. From many people. Including people who have no idea where the patient care areas of the hospital even are.

MD Odyssey said:
I sincerely hope that you are never my physician.
My friend, if you can't find the humor in someone being politically incorrect in a thread explicitly asking for politically incorrect responses, this is going to be an extremely painful (and lonely) decade of training for you.

[...] Also, that's Q of KEEM-ee-ka, not KWIM-ick-a, for those of you who can't pronounce a simple Spanish word.
[...]

I totally nailed it, then, and the first time I read it.

What do I win? Whatever it is, I want it in blue.

See, the problem I have is that I *don't* want to be a doctor, and it's too late. My medical school refuses to take the dang degree back; they said something about lying in a bed I made, which makes no sense at all to me since I never sleep anyway. Plus, whenever I'm at the hospital, people respectfully address me as "Doctor," which is not even my name. Drives me nuts. I mean, can't they read? It clearly says, "QofQuimica, MD, PhD" on my ID badge, not "Doctor"! Also, that's Q of KEEM-ee-ka, not KWIM-ick-a, for those of you who can't pronounce a simple Spanish word.

Ok, so I kind of like people thanking me for saving their life, especially when I really have helped save their life. It happens on occasion. I also like being able to experiment on people. If you call it "clinical judgment," you don't even need to have IRB approval first. And I like the drugs. Studying them, of course, not taking them.

Au contraire. In fact, even your patients will often think that they can do what you do, down to coming in and telling you what their diagnosis is and what you need to do to treat them. Sometimes I have to just look at someone and say, "hmm, seems like you've been talking with Dr. Google." Usually they laugh, because it's true. Everyone is an amateur doctor these days.

Oh, be prepared to take orders. Many of them. From many people. Including people who have no idea where the patient care areas of the hospital even are.

My friend, if you can't find the humor in someone being politically incorrect in a thread explicitly asking for politically incorrect responses, this is going to be an extremely painful (and lonely) decade of training for you.

I just wanted to say that I love you.

Oh, that's just too easy. What better prize can I give you than a bottle of Sol Azul. :cool:

How did I not know this existed?

Ironically, of the tiny bit of Spanish I remember, I can still say "¡Yo soy un alcoholico furioso!". Oh younger me, why you so silly.

I was going to say the same, but I didn't want to scare her off just yet. Sshhhh.

How did I not know this existed?
You didn't consult "Senor Google" before telling me that you wanted a prize, whereas I did consult him before telling you what prize you would receive. :zip:

Bluesun said:
I was going to say the same, but I didn't want to scare her off just yet. Sshhhh.
Hmm. Evidently my virtual pheromone experiments have been more successful than I anticipated.

You didn't consult "Senor Google" before telling me that you wanted a prize, whereas I did consult him before telling you what prize you would receive. :zip:
I'm calling shenanigans -- I just googled "blue present for bluesun" and found no such thing.

Hmm. Evidently my virtual pheromone experiments have been more successful than I anticipated.

I knew there was a scientific explanation. You sneaky PhD's and your research.

I'm in it for the stable career and money. Simple as that.

I hate not using everything I learned or even, well, anything I learned. I'm tired of grading. I'm trying of needing to be stupid to get my job done because using even a fraction of my intelligence confuses these kids who are paying 50K a year to text in the back of my classroom. I'm tired of being told I'm "too strict" when I fail cheaters. I'm tired of uncertainty from semester to semester. I have no interest in writing grants for money...forever. I want to publish intermittently.

And hell, even a full professor in most places makes less than even a crappy doc.

I hate not using everything I learned or even, well, anything I learned. I'm tired of grading. I'm trying of needing to be stupid to get my job done because using even a fraction of my intelligence confuses these kids who are paying 50K a year to text in the back of my classroom. I'm tired of being told I'm "too strict" when I fail cheaters. I'm tired of uncertainty from semester to semester. I have no interest in writing grants for money...forever. I want to publish intermittently.

And hell, even a full professor in most places makes less than even a crappy doc.

Your college hasn't discovered the concept of undergraduate TA's? :D