Politics in application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radishguy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have competing advice from my school’s advisement vs. a professor I trust, so I’m seeing what you think.

In 2014, I was nominated for congress and technically won a couple primaries. I ended up loosing in the general, so should I include that in the ECs? The pro-adding it side says that it will set my application apart since there aren’t a whole lot of med school applicants who can include that, and the don’t-add-it people say what if I get that one person who is very political and crosses me off just because I was the opposite political party… what say you all, include it or leave it out?

Members don't see this ad.

I have competing advice from my school’s advisement vs. a professor I trust, so I’m seeing what you think.

In 2014, I was nominated for congress and technically won a couple primaries. I ended up loosing in the general, so should I include that in the ECs? The pro-adding it side says that it will set my application apart since there aren’t a whole lot of med school applicants who can include that, and the don’t-add-it people say what if I get that one person who is very political and crosses me off just because I was the opposite political party… what say you all, include it or leave it out?
Unless you have continued to be politically active or engaged in advocacy, perhaps related to whatever induced to to accept the nomination, a 7-year-old activity won't add much to your candidacy. As a non-trad, I'm sure you have better activities with which to fill your spaces.

No need to mention political party affiliation, if you decide to proceed. If it would be glaringly obvious based on your platform, I'd agree you may have ~50% chance of irking any given interviewer who asks.

JMO.

Reactions: 3 users
You were a congressional candidate in 2014 who lost the general election.

Runner up in a congressional election is not something that will get you much traction, particularly if it happened 7-8 years prior to your application.

I am sure you have 15 other items that are more impressive/important than this ancient history.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe talk about it in secondaries for the schools like GW that like advocacy and tie it into wanting to be active in the political landscape to enact healthcare change. Probably do not include in primary though as we all know how divisive politics can be.

Reactions: 2 users
Best not to highlight political activity or positions in your app. As contentious as the political climate is now, you never know who will be reading it. For sure mention it, but I wouldn't push it to the forefront of my best qualities. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user