Poll: Are committee letters beneficial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are committee letters beneficial?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

0Mik3cho

Dentgineer
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m curious about everyone’s opinions on the usefulness of committee letters. I’ve seen a few opinions that they add unnecessary complexity to the application process and that not having one may not be held against you.

Members don't see this ad.

It can’t hurt and is probably an advantage. In order for my uni to allow me to get a committee letter I had to be interviewed by the faculty. I would like to think that this process helped me because they could write something meaningful, which gives the admissions committee more information prior to an interview offer. Some schools add on extra essays onto the application process to bolster info on applicants, and it is possible that for the schools that don’t require this through adsas, that they were able to peer into who I am as a person just as well only because of that additional information gathered through the committee letter. Maybe a current faculty member can comment.