Poll, HCOL Salary in outpatient primary care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What kind of salary in outpatient M-F primary care are you seeing in large high cost of living

• Only production based (RVU only or percentage collections only)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 150k-175k + bonuses or production threshold

• 176k-200k + bonuses or production threshold

• Total voters

InvestingDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my friends just took a job in a desirable large HCOL city and starting salary is $165k / year plus production bonuses. I was shocked that it was so low.

I am curious what kind of salaries you are seeing in large desirable cities with high cost of living? (LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, NYC, Miami, Austin, you get the idea)

We are trying to hire docs to join my practice now and indeed plus our competition is all over the place in terms of compensation. It is ranging as low as 150 all the way up to 250 plus production. There are some out there for flat salary for about $210k a year. However, the 250 place has their docs seeing 25+ pts every day of the week with no admin time and a revolving door of docs due to burn out.

Just curious to see what you all have noted in your search for primary care jobs in desirable large cities.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
kaiser is 250+ with 100-200k sign on bonus (takes 5-7 years to fully earn), 5% match and pension vest after 5 years. in DC and norcal

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In Northern California, I've seen bigger groups offering 285k +benefits (~130+/year) for full time PCP, more with partnership after 2 years. I've Urgent Care going at 145-190/hr.

Intro offers for new grads I have seen with county and FQHC jobs in LA have been in the $200-$260k range for M-F, typically 9 clinical half days a week. There usually is a bonus structure, but they don't seem that great, with the exception of Kaiser and the crazy retention bonuses and matching.