Ponce-St. Louis Professor Medicare Fraud

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1153517

Don’t go to an MD school simply because it is an MD school. This place is way more shady than just this story. They fake retention numbers and grades as well. They wait to see how people do on exams and then adjust the grading accordingly. They also hold secret study sessions to basically give everything that will be on the exam.
Just run, please. I am certain you can get in somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They wait to see how people do on exams and then adjust the grading accordingly.

This is called a curve and is an extremely commonplace practice with nothing shady or suspicious about it....

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So podiatrist with inconsequential teaching role previously got into trouble.

You're going to need a higher threshold for outrage if you want to survive in medicine.
i don't agree with all of OP's points, especially regarding the curve, but I don't think it's misplaced to be upset if you were to find out you're learning medical ethics from someone with a felony conviction in that very area of medical education. especially considering the fraud included prescribing and potentially subjecting patients to unnecessary medical procedures (????).

also medical ethics is inconsequential?

So podiatrist with inconsequential teaching role previously got into trouble.

You're going to need a higher threshold for outrage if you want to survive in medicine.
I posted the article but have other grievances. It is ridiculous that you believe someone with a felony conviction, teaching medical ethics, isn’t enough of an issue. There is sexism and racism at this school as well.
The professor is teaching ethics and she defrauded Medicare. What financial connection do you have with Tiber Health?

This is called a curve and is an extremely commonplace practice with nothing shady or suspicious about it....
They advertised and emphasized that there are no curves at this program and yet give points to people they prefer.

Grading adjustments are commonplace, often professors will double-key or remove questions that a large portion of the class missed. This is not curving. It is also common practice.

Also, it seems like you have a bone to pick with whatever school was mentioned in the article. Not to be too nitpicky, but your accusations all seem like gossip and rumor-milling, with little-to-no backbone. What's up OP?

Reactions: 3 users
Whether or not those specific concerns bother people, I wouldn't get anything fancier than an EMT license from a for profit school.

• Haha
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 2 users
Whether or not those specific concerns bother people, I wouldn't get anything fancier than an EMT license from a for profit school.
that makes 0 sense lmao, you still walk out a doctor with a medical degree from them

that makes 0 sense lmao, you still walk out a doctor with a medical degree from them
Maybe I'm wrong to think in these terms, but so many for profit colleges end up being sued for defrauding their students that I would be afraid to risk my future on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I'm wrong to think in these terms, but so many for profit colleges end up being sued for defrauding their students that I would be afraid to risk my future on it.
that still doesn't matter? You still earn your MD/DO degree doing the exact same thing

that still doesn't matter? You still earn your MD/DO degree doing the exact same thing
It sounds like we just have different risk tolerances and red flags. I'm aware that you get the degree if all works out, but I would need to see good evidence of a place being well managed with acceptable graduation and pass rates and I'm sceptical that these things will be found and honestly represented at a for profit institution.

A psychologist I knew a few years ago had his degree in question after his for profit school was shut down for fraud. I know there are protections in place once you get an MD/DO degree. I'd still rather go to a well established public school if at all possible. I'll apply to private nonprofits too. I need to feel secure if I'm going hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt. It's okay if we disagree.

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds like we just have different risk tolerances and red flags. I'm aware that you get the degree if all works out, but I would need to see good evidence of a place being well managed with acceptable graduation and pass rates and I'm sceptical that these things will be found and honestly represented at a for profit institution.

A psychologist I knew a few years ago had his degree in question after his for profit school was shut down for fraud. I know there are protections in place once you get an MD/DO degree. I'd still rather go to a well established public school if at all possible. I'll apply to private nonprofits too. I need to feel secure if I'm going hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt. It's okay if we disagree.

All I gotta say, we shall agree to disagree!

100%. There's a reason Goro doesn't reccomend for-profit schools.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users