Poor gpa -> CC Postbacc -> foreign masters -> what next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marinermed

Reaction score
My future application is rocking some pretty hardcore non-trad vibes and I could use some advice on what to do. My undergrad career was pretty rough between health issues and working. I graduated five years ago with a 2.9x and a massive pile of credits (mostly bcpm sadly) from nearly 6 years of switching majors and not knowing what I was doing. I went through cycles of getting A’s some semesters and C’s (the occasional F) others. In short, my GPA trend is inconsistent throughout.

Immediately after graduating I snapped out of my immaturity. I spent a year volunteering in research, working in research, and taking math/science courses (40 credits) at a community college that offers bachelors degrees (so I have a couple upper division classes as well) in order to prepare myself for a biostats masters. In that time I got my grades up to a 3.2 cum GPA 3.1 sGPA. After that I immediately went abroad, learned another language, and eventually got a masters abroad. I’m about to turn 31 so I want to expedite as much as possible the process to gain acceptance anywhere. My first thought is to enroll in a bunch of upper division courses but after a year of study I would only move my GPA up to a 3.3 cGPA 3.2 sGPA assuming I 4.0 everything (I think an A- average is more realistic). An SMP is an option but I’m a Washingtonian and there aren’t many options if I stay on this side of the country as I’d like to. Additionally I’m concerned about extracurriculars. The past 4 years they’ve exclusively been foreign coursework and research however, I was a CNA for 7 years before and after college so I have a ton of exposure. My questions boil down to SMP or Postbacc? Can I skate by with basic hospital volunteering and shadowing given my background?

Members don't see this ad.