poor grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

chocotaco

how did you guys explain poor grades? if you had any...

Members don't see this ad.

I did fairly poor my first year of undergrad. My father had breast cancer and as a result was out of work so I was working 2 8pm-8am shifts a week on the ambulance. After being up all night and then going straight to class I had a reason for my grades to be lower. I just explained to them that my grades did increase each semester and that MCAT score proved I can handle the subject I did poorly in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nate said:

OMG, I shutter to think that we should actually be honest! :eek: :D

My GPA is less than stellar or adequate. Luckily, they were confined to two semesters. I simply said I had some personal issues, but at the same time I failed to realize I should have withdrawn..................Basically, I didn't try to hide the fact that I did poorly and the respected that. This also only came up in one interview, everywhere else had a closed file interview. Besides, if you have recieved an interview they have already considered your grade issue, so don't worry about it too much.

Hi there -

I was a "long shot" at best. Now I am in my fourth month of med school, outperforming many of my classmates.

2.62 science GPA when I applied
3.1 overall GPA
25 MCAT (9 V 9 B 7 P)
Two years in the ER as a unit secretary
EMT certificate
Phlebotomist certificate
etc - you can see my profile at mdapplicants - I am #1612

and, I even applied LATE!! Duh.

Here's what I said in my applications - that I had given up everything in my life to move to a city where I could sell my car and live on loans because I believed so strongly in my calling to be a doctor. As that wasn't enough money to live on, I started working in an ER and learning a lot but not doing well in core classes. I worked hard but never did well enough to crack the A territory. However, I knew I tested well and when the MCAT rolled around I did well, and was very happy with my score.

So, when I got my two interviews, I walked in focusing on what I was bringing, rather than what I was lacking. If you do well on the MCAT it really shows that you test well and that you understand a lot of the science, so I had that behind me. I also could sparkle with my scintillating clinical experience so I brought it up at every opportunity.

And, believe it or not, many of your classmates will have never stepped foot in a hospital!! If they did work, it was in a private clinic or other setting where they never got any real exposure to medicine or a very low level. So, at some schools, grades can be offset with a good MCAT score, good clinical and volunteering.

How bad are they? I had two C's, one D that I should have withdrawn from earlier, and all the rest B's. A lot of B minuses as well.

Regardless, I'm doing great in med school. I am falling back on my MCAT study skills and clinical experience. I am very happy to be here and know that I could be re-applying as we speak. I got very lucky. If you can keep taking classes and improve your GPA that would be good as well.

Good luck!!

Kay