Poor GRE scores, but great GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Just wanna be a PT

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

This is my first time posting on this forum, or any forum for that matter. I am posting today because I became very concerned about my chances of being accepted into PT school after receiving my GRE scores, particularly my analytical writing scores.

Verbal reasoning - 149 (43rd percentile)
Quantitative reasoning - 158 (68th percentile)
Analytical writing - 3 (17th percentile)

Yes, these scores are very unimpressive, however I wanted to ask you guys if you think that my other qualifications will improve my likelihood of being accepted into PT school.

Community college GPA: 3.71
Illinois State University GPA: 4.0
Last 60 hours: 4.0
Prerequisite classes: All A's and one B (statistics)
A in every science class taken

Observation hours:
Outpatient
Athletico: 62
ATI: 150
Loyola: 4
Inpatient
Amita Hospital: 16

I have 3 letters of recommendation as well.

What do you guys think? Have any of you received poor GRE scores, but still managed to get into PT school? All of the schools I am applying to do require GRE. I do not have enough time to retake it, so I am very worried that I will not get accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Holy cow. PT school is that competitive?

I'm impressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everybody,

This is my first time posting on this forum, or any forum for that matter. I am posting today because I became very concerned about my chances of being accepted into PT school after receiving my GRE scores, particularly my analytical writing scores.

Verbal reasoning - 149 (43rd percentile)
Quantitative reasoning - 158 (68th percentile)
Analytical writing - 3 (17th percentile)

Yes, these scores are very unimpressive, however I wanted to ask you guys if you think that my other qualifications will improve my likelihood of being accepted into PT school.

Community college GPA: 3.71
Illinois State University GPA: 4.0
Last 60 hours: 4.0
Prerequisite classes: All A's and one B (statistics)
A in every science class taken

Observation hours:
Outpatient
Athletico: 62
ATI: 150
Loyola: 4
Inpatient
Amita Hospital: 16

I have 3 letters of recommendation as well.

What do you guys think? Have any of you received poor GRE scores, but still managed to get into PT school? All of the schools I am applying to do require GRE. I do not have enough time to retake it, so I am very worried that I will not get accepted.

Hey, and welcome.

If you apply with those scores be very selective about which schools you select. Many schools have minimum percentile scores. I would sign up to take the GRE again. Perhaps, it would be helpful to find someone to help you with the writing and verbal sections. You math school is fine (better than mine)

Otherwise, your GPA and hours are good to go.

This is the Physical Therapy Forums specifically the pre-physically therapy forum. They are in the right place to ask this question.

This thread was moved after they posted it in pre-med.

Hey, and welcome.

If you apply with those scores be very selective about which schools you select. Many schools have minimum percentile scores. I would sign up to take the GRE again. Perhaps, it would be helpful to find someone to help you with the writing and verbal sections. You math school is fine (better than mine)

What about the analytical writing section?

This is the Physical Therapy Forums specifically the pre-physically therapy forum. They are in the right place to ask this question.

Um Yeah obviously I said that before it was re-routed to the right forum.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey, and welcome.

I studied very hard on verbal reasoning and Analytical Writing. I thought I did well on my writing as well, so I don't know what needs to improve. My other problem is that application deadlines are around the corner, so I do not have time to take it again.

I studied very hard on verbal reasoning and Analytical Writing. I thought I did well on my writing as well, so I don't know what needs to improve. My other problem is that application deadlines are around the corner, so I do not have time to take it again.

I would be very careful where you apply then. Some schools have minimum scores others do not. Where are you looking at applying?

I would be very careful where you apply then. Some schools have minimum scores others do not. Where are you looking at applying?

I'm applying to mostly Illinois schools but a few others in the midwest. Do theses schools with a minimum score requirements typically only care that you reached that minimum?

I don't know a lot about schools in the midwest. I would strongly recommend going to PTCAS, clicking program directory, sort programs by state, and click into each school you wish to apply to, and then click requirements.

I just quickly looked at Northwestern's requirements and they do not have a minimum score, but do have average scores of V-67% QA-62% AW: 70%.

Reactions: 1 user