Portal venous system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alde8127

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that without the portal venous system the substances would travel to the heart and be dispersed around the body, but are there any disadvantages to this system?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that without the portal venous system the substances would travel to the heart and be dispersed around the body, but are there any disadvantages to this system?

What does this even mean?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if the Portal venous system is blocked you can get esophageal varices. Personally, I think that'd be a terrible way to die.

A disadvantage of the working system is it processes drugs taken by mouth. The liver can inactivate quite a lot of it depending on the molecule. Some new drugs are formulated to be activated by the first liver pass.

Well, if the Portal venous system is blocked you can get esophageal varices. Personally, I think that'd be a terrible way to die.

A disadvantage of the working system is it processes drugs taken by mouth. The liver can inactivate quite a lot of it depending on the molecule. Some new drugs are formulated to be activated by the first liver pass.

Or you can get past that the old fashioned way and shove them up your ass.

There are many disadvantages to the way the human body is set up. You can see them all here:
51geG-4UKeL._AC_UL320_SR250,320_.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
How’s life at Hollywood Upstairs Medical School?

Please describe to the class the anatomy of the middle and inferior rectal veins.

Rectal administration - Wikipedia

Even sorority girls with their vodka soaked tampons know this.

Sorry, my brain is dead from Robbins. My mind went straight to the Superior rectal artery. (Cue head up my butt joke)

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, my brain is dead from Robbins. My mind went straight to the Superior rectal artery. (Cue head up my butt joke)

Has to be pretty far up there to hit the portal venous system. (Your head, that is.)

Reactions: 1 user