Portfolio LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I was told today by a professor at my university that sometimes a portfolio type of LOR can be submitted to professional schools. This meaning that different professors contribute a portion of the LOR for you, and then another professor puts it together, and it counts as 1 LOR. This is done for students where professors dont know them A LOT, but that have a little input about the student. Do dental schools accept these types of portfolio LOR's?.

The reason im asking this, is becasue it is kind of hard to ask a professor for an LOR in my masters program, becasue they dont really know me all that well, and I graduated from undergrad 2 years ago, so I wanted to get LOR's mostly from Masters professors..

Any suggestions plz ?

Members don't see this ad.

MasterDental... I think what you're referring to is essentially a slight variation of a "committee letter." You take a conglomeration of letters and make them into one "big" letter of recommendation (though I think they still include the individual letters in the packet they send to AADSAS). They are super common. :) Just do a few searches. If you can get one, it is a good idea. But, if you can't, it isn't a deal breaker.

Thank you. However I am talking about portfolio letter. I know what a committee letter is. However we do not have a pre dent committee at my school.
My advisor told me that portfolio (different than committee), is accepted at many med schools, but she told me to ask if this was fisible for dental school.

This 1 portfolio LOR also counts as just 1 LOR

Members don't see this ad :)
if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

regardless of what they call it, its the same thing.

Correct. The difference is that I choose what staff members to include in that LOR. I choose the professors. Is not a set committee. And also it wouldn't be addressed as pre dent committee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm almost certain that even with a standard committee letter, you can still choose who submits your individual letters.

You ask favorite professors A, B, and C to write a letter of recommendation for you. You ask a dentist to do the same thing. However, instead of submitting directly to AADSAS, these folks submit their letters to the committee. The committee takes these letters and makes one comprehensive recommendation out of them.

...At least some people have committees that work like this, I believe. There are probably variations on the process.