Possibility for DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unhDO1130

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,
I'm a non-traditional student (28 years old) and my stats break down like this:
-cGPA 3.14
-sGPA 2.94
-MCAT 25
-5 years of research with international cancer conference publication
-over 6,000+ hours of hands on clinical experience as an ER technician
-multiple leadership positions both in and out of hospital and was a D-I athlete
-LORs from 3 DO's, two MD's and two academic professors

Personally, I'm a cancer survivor and that's what has made such a significant impact on my grades. Does anyone out there think I have a shot at all of admission to a DO school or should I just pack it in now? I appreciate your advice and suggestions in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would use grade replacement to get those GPAs up especially sGPA as that might cause you to be screened out automatically for <3.0. If you bump both GPAs you have a shot if you apply broadly. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a great resume, but your scores are below average. I think, if you have the funds, apply to a few low-tier DO schools this cycle and see how it goes.

To increase your odds of getting an acceptance letter you should boost your GPAs through post bacc/upper level science courses then apply.

Thanks Brawns, any suggestions on those lower tier schools?

Hello SDN,
I'm a non-traditional student (28 years old) and my stats break down like this:
-cGPA 3.14
-sGPA 2.94
-MCAT 25
-5 years of research with international cancer conference publication
-over 6,000+ hours of hands on clinical experience as an ER technician
-multiple leadership positions both in and out of hospital and was a D-I athlete
-LORs from 3 DO's, two MD's and two academic professors

Personally, I'm a cancer survivor and that's what has made such a significant impact on my grades. Does anyone out there think I have a shot at all of admission to a DO school or should I just pack it in now? I appreciate your advice and suggestions in advance.
Chances are slim now due to your low GPAs. Retake a few classes to bump up your GPAs to 3.2+, then you will have a shot at low tier DO such as DCOM, LUCOM, ACOM, VCOM, WVSOM, WCUCOM, PCOM-GA etc... Avoid DO schools that are 'obsessed' about high MCAT score.

Gotta get that gpa up love. I would suggest having both at least a 3.4

Awesome ECs btw!