Possible cessation of graduate school, affects application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BajaBlast89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:

I have been in a Masters program for over two years now and my project was recently scrapped due to the grant expiring and inconsistent data/results. My PI has suggested either starting a new project on a different grant or stopping altogether. Since I am currently applying and a new project/thesis would probably take over a year to complete I am considering dropping out of the program and getting a job for this next year before (hopefully) matriculation. There aren't many opinions about how this would affect the way medical schools would view me as an applicant, and am wondering what y'all think.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say how medical schools will look at it but leaving any program of study incomplete doesn't look good. Sure you can explain but what if schools don't bother reading up your explanation?

anyway, even if you apply right now, you can only join medical school in Fall 2015 earliest. So why not just stay?

The only issue is that if it takes longer; I read on some schools' sites that I would be required to finish the program before I could enter the MD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only issue is that if it takes longer; I read on some schools' sites that I would be required to finish the program before I could enter the MD program.

Make a tentative list of medical schools now. Find out the email addresses of their admissions office. Email all of them ASAP and explain your situation in detail. Ask them for suggestions.

Make a tentative list of medical schools now. Find out the email addresses of their admissions office. Email all of them ASAP and explain your situation in detail. Ask them for suggestions.
If you do that, be sure to be as professional as possible in every correspondence.

Thanks for the input! I've actually already applied so I'll e-mail those schools.