Possible restart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrianBerm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... My family told me it was okay to drop out of high school at the age of 18 and provided no sense of direction for since I was a kid. I got straight F's in grades 9 and 10. I dropped out at 16 and eventually went back and got a high school diploma. From there I decided I wanted to be a respiratory therapist so I can make some decent money(decent to my family is more than 10$ an hour). So with that in mind I finished the pre requisites with just enough to pass, I did not care if I earned good grades or not. After taking all these courses I then decided wanted to be an RN, so I tried harder and got into RN school with a 2.7 gpa, I had a 2.0 when I finished respiratory prerequisites. I had no idea what kind of options I had and only found them out as I went a long through college. Now that I am a second year RN student I have discovered how awesome it would be to earn the privilege to become a doctor. I currently stand at a 2.7 gpa still and am wondering if there is a way to reset it and Start fresh with all the knowledge I have gained. I feel as if I was an infant when I started college and have learned so much since. I'm actually the first person in my family as far back as anyone can remember that even attempted to go to college. Should I just give up the dream of becoming a doctor and stick with nursing? Cut my loses and raise my kids to aspire to be something great early on? Or is there some slim chance in hell that i can fix all the damage done in my life? Brutal honesty is helpful in my opinion, I already feel that I know the answer is a flat out no way will it ever be possible, but I'm still hopeful nevertheless. Excuse my typing, I'm on an iPhone and I type terribly slow and sometimes write with the syntax of a Neanderthal.

Members don't see this ad.

Only in TX. Look up Fresh Start.
DO schools will replace old grades for the same course with new grades. It's as close as one gets to a restart.
MD schools average undergrad grades. It takes years of A's to bring up a gpa like yours to one that passes screening (even with a decent MCAT).

Reactions: 1 user
So... My family told me it was okay to drop out of high school at the age of 18 and provided no sense of direction for since I was a kid. I got straight F's in grades 9 and 10. I dropped out at 16 and eventually went back and got a high school diploma. From there I decided I wanted to be a respiratory therapist so I can make some decent money(decent to my family is more than 10$ an hour). So with that in mind I finished the pre requisites with just enough to pass, I did not care if I earned good grades or not. After taking all these courses I then decided wanted to be an RN, so I tried harder and got into RN school with a 2.7 gpa, I had a 2.0 when I finished respiratory prerequisites. I had no idea what kind of options I had and only found them out as I went a long through college. Now that I am a second year RN student I have discovered how awesome it would be to earn the privilege to become a doctor. I currently stand at a 2.7 gpa still and am wondering if there is a way to reset it and Start fresh with all the knowledge I have gained. I feel as if I was an infant when I started college and have learned so much since. I'm actually the first person in my family as far back as anyone can remember that even attempted to go to college. Should I just give up the dream of becoming a doctor and stick with nursing? Cut my loses and raise my kids to aspire to be something great early on? Or is there some slim chance in hell that i can fix all the damage done in my life? Brutal honesty is helpful in my opinion, I already feel that I know the answer is a flat out no way will it ever be possible, but I'm still hopeful nevertheless. Excuse my typing, I'm on an iPhone and I type terribly slow and sometimes write with the syntax of a Neanderthal.
I would focus a year or two on being a RN. If that doesn't satisfy you and you end up having a compelling reason to want to be a doctor (which would no doubt come up in an interview), then I would look into maybe DO, or a one year post bacc program. If you could pull a 3.8 plus in a post bacc and do well on the MCAT, you would prove your ability to do well in medical school. It will take work to get your application to the standard it needs to be. I think the big questions here are why do you want to be a doctor and are you willing to put in the time and effort to make yourself a competitive applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would focus a year or two on being a RN. If that doesn't satisfy you and you end up having a compelling reason to want to be a doctor (which would no doubt come up in an interview), then I would look into maybe DO, or a one year post bacc program. If you could pull a 3.8 plus in a post bacc and do well on the MCAT, you would prove your ability to do well in medical school. It will take work to get your application to the standard it needs to be. I think the big questions here are why do you want to be a doctor and are you willing to put in the time and effort to make yourself a competitive applicant?
I cannot accomplish what I want to do within my scope of practice as an RN. I don't really care too much about money. Doing minor skills such as starting IVs or inserting Foley catheters do not satisfy my needs. I want to be the one actively doing a more complicated procedure, not the one handing the instruments to accomplish them. IF I was able I would reset everything and start fresh. Since that cannot happen unless I become a. Resident in Texas and wait 10 years, I'm willing to do what ever it takes. What types of post back programs are you referring to? It sounds like a good opportunity.

I cannot accomplish what I want to do within my scope of practice as an RN. I don't really care too much about money. Doing minor skills such as starting IVs or inserting Foley catheters do not satisfy my needs. I want to be the one actively doing a more complicated procedure, not the one handing the instruments to accomplish them. IF I was able I would reset everything and start fresh. Since that cannot happen unless I become a. Resident in Texas and wait 10 years, I'm willing to do what ever it takes. What types of post back programs are you referring to? It sounds like a good opportunity.
post bacc was auto corrected to back, sorry.

post bacc was auto corrected to back, sorry.
What is your state of residency? There are one year masters programs or you could do a year of upper level science courses thru a post bacc that doesn't offer a degree. I myself did not have a stellar undergrad GPA but did a post bacc at a state school and did well. I was accepted this cycle to a great MD school. I also had years of clinical experience and a strong application otherwise. You can look up different post bacc programs on the AAMC website. What are your grades like in nursing school?

Do you have a Bachelors yet? I think if you try to switch out of nursing to medicine after already switching out of resp ther. med schools will think you really don't know what you want to do. Finish up the nursing, get your degree and work for a few years. Take your pre reqs,do some new ECs and then make a decision. You might really love nursing when you are really a nurse. You might also look into physician assistant programs. You can also look into grade replacement offered by DO schools.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 1 user