possible to get in med school with F(s) on transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tank you

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have one F due to extenuating circumstances, but i retook and got an A. what do the adcoms think about F on transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

sorry about that. I read the one post and replied in the wrong post, lol.

But in regards to yours, i think it's a similar situation. Although the F will look bad, as long as the rest of your transcript looks solid, the GPA average is okay, and the 34 MCAT is a pretty good score as well. I think you'll find that you'll get interviews. Plus, there is the section on the AMCAS to explain subpar grades, and you can explain in that section, but also explain that you retook and got an A to show that it was indeed a fluke.

My Gen Chem TPR teacher had 60 hrs of F's on his transcript and is now an MS4 at UT Southwestern.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 7 F's. Not quite 60 hours but still pretty bad :laugh:.

chaeymaey said:
My Gen Chem TPR teacher had 60 hrs of F's on his transcript and is now an MS4 at UT Southwestern.
explain that one

I recieved a D in general chemistry my entering freshman year of college and asked the head of the admissions committee at the university of texas medical branch if it would be a problem. He told me that I needed to look at things realistically, one bad grade isnt going to be a problem.

MadameLULU said:
TX has a Fresh Start program
He didn't qualify for that. He applied to med school several times and got a couple bachelor's and master's degrees. What got him in was doing research at UTSW and networking. Not everyone gets into med school based on grades.

chaeymaey said:

Yes seriously 60 hours? How do those 60 hours not show up on your transcript and what is the fresh start program?

I had a some bad grades, F's & D's. I still think I'm a decent appplicant. Got an interview last time and am applying to a lot more schools this time around.

jtank said:
i have one F due to extenuating circumstances, but i retook and got an A. what do the adcoms think about F on transcript?

One bad grade can be overcome. I had a few on my transcript and it did not stop me. Just don't let it paralyze you. Charge forward and build positive momentum.

Kazema said:
I had 7 F's. Not quite 60 hours but still pretty bad :laugh:.
And, you should add for those unwilling/unable to look at your profile, you're headed to SUNY Buffalo in a month!

I guess you edged out my 4 Fs and 3 Ds. ;)

chaeymaey said:

No offense but your statement is taken out of context. I don't think he had that many F's, although his GPA was very low in the beginning. People should also know that he had an exceptionally high MCAT score and he completed the last 2 years of college with all A’s, while doing research everyday. Even with all his efforts he still came very close to not getting accepted anywhere.

jtank said:

They will think, "He got an F."

Possible to get in med school with F(s) on transcript? YES

People get into med schools with F(s). On the other hand, people with 4.0s have had to reapply. While grades are an important factor, they are not the only factor.

jtank said:

congratulations on the 34 B*TCH! NICE JOB!