Possible to start program before hearing from all schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EZ2CjrADPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The subject title poses my questions pretty well but...

Is it possible for an applicant to start a program somewhere before even hearing back from all the schools one applied? Some programs start as early as May! I won't even have graduated undergrad by the time my top choices commence graduate studies.

I've already come to terms with conceding my summer recess, and the preceding period of the clinically proven disorder "senioritis" so to not lose the acceptances I've fortunately gained. That means no wine tasting trips along the central coast of california with my fellow seniors during furlough days (thanks arnold). In fact, I have already budgeted into my finances a trip to return to my undergrad just so that I can at least walk during graduation, an experience I will not miss.

It would be a terrible inaccuracy to be forced to begin school before hearing from all the schools one applied.

Can people post school start dates? And if possible, when the expected dates to hear from particular programs are?

One of my favorite schools so far, and most possibly the one I will be attending is NYMC. The move in date is May 30th. (I graduate undergrad June 12th.)

Members don't see this ad.

The simple answer is yes. It can and does happen. People will be offered acceptance (largely off waitlists if late in the game) up until the very last minute. People can give you any dates, but the truth is that it is possible to hear from schools anytime between now and when classes start at that school. There really is no cutoff.

A lot of people have to "go back" for their graduation if they start PT school in the summer. It happens all the time.