possible to talk alot about research experience relevant to dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my senior year this fall, and my current overall GPA is 3.26 and science GPA is around there too.

I can either take a 3 credit worth bird course to boost my GPA or do a research project course with a well known "pedeatric dental professor" in the field. The professor is known to give an A if the student work hard.

I will be cloning some genes that may have intersting facial expression patterns. This would involve first searching for the chicken homologue in the chicken genome, PCR of the sequence from cDNA, subcloning and finally in situ hybridization. The research sounds interesting to me.

I am interested in the topic, but I know that I would have to spend alot of time on this project and applying dental schoola the same time. I would only do it if I can talk about in my personal statement and interview alot.

I already shadow dentists for many hours and even did a oversea dental outreach, so that part is covered. My weakness is my GPA, so I am hoping this research project course would allevate my weaknees.

I know it doesn't hurt to do a research, but will it earn extra brownie points if I do a research with a well known dental professor who has published on a paper appear on the cover of 2001 Nature magazine? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
I know it doesn't hurt to do a research, but will it earn extra brownie points if I do a research with a well known dental professor who has published on a paper appear on the cover of 2001 Nature magazine? Thanks!

You know what to do..."bird course" or research with a well known dental professor? Hmmmmm. Duh...stop being lazy. Go for the research my man! Good luck.