Post-Bac Information Overload (and I still need more help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedslave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently a sophomore premed student at a small liberal arts college. I've really been taking advantage of the "liberal arts" part, while keeping up with my premed track, but now that I've finally figured out what I want to major in--Chinese and Physics, either a joint or a double--I'm a bit pressed for time. I am really not a fan of taking premed requirements so early on in college because I think experience and maturity are necessary to really figure out if being in medicine is what's right for you. One of my advisors just told me about post-bac pre-health programs, and I've been reading about them for the past 2 hours. They seem ideal because they are for more mature, focused students, and allow me to finish the classes I need for med school. I still need help figuring out if these programs are what's right for me (and this is where I need your help!).

I've already taken Gen chem, bio I, calculus, physics I, and Orgo I, with Orgo II and Physics II lined up for the spring semester. At this point, I really need to be taking more courses in my major, but premed classes are jamming up my schedule since I'm a non-science major. If I've already taken several premed classes and done quite well in them for the most part, should I just finish the rest of the requirements here, or save them for a post-bac program so I can really focus on my majors? Do I seem like a good candidate for the post-bac programs? Should I just take the remainder of my courses at a public institution? It seems to me that most of the post-bac programs are for people considering career changes or GPA boosters, but I really just need to take the classes for lack of time. I hope I don't sound too naive, I just find planning out the rest of my life awfully complicated. :) I'm all ears, thanks for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

premedslave said:
Hey everyone,

I am currently a sophomore premed student at a small liberal arts college. I've really been taking advantage of the "liberal arts" part, while keeping up with my premed track, but now that I've finally figured out what I want to major in--Chinese and Physics, either a joint or a double--I'm a bit pressed for time. I am really not a fan of taking premed requirements so early on in college because I think experience and maturity are necessary to really figure out if being in medicine is what's right for you. One of my advisors just told me about post-bac pre-health programs, and I've been reading about them for the past 2 hours. They seem ideal because they are for more mature, focused students, and allow me to finish the classes I need for med school. I still need help figuring out if these programs are what's right for me (and this is where I need your help!).

I've already taken Gen chem, bio I, calculus, physics I, and Orgo I, with Orgo II and Physics II lined up for the spring semester. At this point, I really need to be taking more courses in my major, but premed classes are jamming up my schedule since I'm a non-science major. If I've already taken several premed classes and done quite well in them for the most part, should I just finish the rest of the requirements here, or save them for a post-bac program so I can really focus on my majors? Do I seem like a good candidate for the post-bac programs? Should I just take the remainder of my courses at a public institution? It seems to me that most of the post-bac programs are for people considering career changes or GPA boosters, but I really just need to take the classes for lack of time. I hope I don't sound too naive, I just find planning out the rest of my life awfully complicated. :) I'm all ears, thanks for any help!!

Maybe I'm missing something. But why can't you just push your graduation back a year and do all the classes where you are? (And avoid postbac at all, as it would all be bac.)

If you're ambitious enough to pursue a double major and med school as well, I'm afraid you've set yourself up for some very tough semesters or a longer haul to complete all the requirements. I would not recommend post-bacc. Just complete the requirements where you are. It does not look, I think, to complete part of your reqs at one school, and part at another. Just finish them up and apply when you are ready. If you need an extra year or two after graduating to determine if medicine is for you, so be it--you will look all the more impressive when you do apply.

So doing a post-bac after you've already taken quite a few premed classes doesn't look good? I guess I'll just try to fit everything into college then...including going abroad. Thanks for all your help!