Post Bac Only Classes vs Classes with Undergrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoopybd93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about post bac programs and some of them have classes only with post bac students, and others are with undergrad students. Can anyone help to shed some light on the pros and cons of both types of programs? My main thought right now is that post bac only classes may be better for me because I'm not used to learning science, and those professors may be able to better help me understand as opposed to profs teaching groups of undergrads the same thing.

Advice is much appreciated!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you think an undergrad prof teaching a science course won't be able to teach well? Is this for pre-reqs or advanced undergraduate work to "fix" your GPA?

Why do you think an undergrad prof teaching a science course won't be able to teach well? Is this for pre-reqs or advanced undergraduate work to "fix" your GPA?

It's not that they won't be able to teach well. I'm concerned because I'm a non trad student doing a post bac to take all of the pre reqs at once. I've heard that post bac only classes may be better because those profs know how to teach to students who aren't yet science students. So they may be able to better prepare them for and teach them the huge amounts of science they're going to learn. Kind of like they know how to teach chemistry to humanities majors.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not that they won't be able to teach well. I'm concerned because I'm a non trad student doing a post bac to take all of the pre reqs at once. I've heard that post bac only classes may be better because those profs know how to teach to students who aren't yet science students. So they may be able to better prepare them for and teach them the huge amounts of science they're going to learn. Kind of like they know how to teach chemistry to humanities majors.

Your logic makes no sense. Most pre-requisite courses are introductory science courses. The gen chem series, bio, and physics series are all freshman level courses. Students coming out of high school take these courses their freshman year. They obviously don't have a strong science background, but they still succeed. I wouldn't choose a program based on that logic. I'd look at the success rate of the program or if they have some sort of linkage or if's cost effective (go to a local uni and take courses or do a formal post bac).

I was really thinking about someone who hasn't had any science background for years. The students coming out of high school at least have basic bio and chem in the back of their heads. Some post bacs haven't even thought about science for 10 years. That's what I meant.

Thanks for your input.

I was really thinking about someone who hasn't had any science background for years. The students coming out of high school at least have basic bio and chem in the back of their heads. Some post bacs haven't even thought about science for 10 years. That's what I meant.

Thanks for your input.

If you need prereqs for an algebra-based physics 1, I don't really think medicine is the right path for you.

I would have preferred "postbac only" courses only because freshmen seem to find it very unusual that someone over 30 would take classes with them. Bio1 lab with these people just out of highschool has at times been...a wee bit painful.

Last edited:
I believe the OP was talking about "career changer" formal post bacc programs, not the "academic enhancement post bacc programs," which is for people that need to fix one's undergrad GPA. And I agree with the OP. It's different for people who came fresh out of high school and have the basic science and algebra fresh in their minds against those non-trads who are possibly changing their careers and are about to begin the daunting process.

OP, I think it really depends on what your undergrad major was. If you are coming from a relatively quantitative-heavy major (Math, Physics, Engineering, etc.), I personally think it won't be much of an issue to take classes with undergrads. Otherwise, if you graduated from humanities major, post bacc only classes might benefit you because 1. I believe these classes are not graded on a curve so it solely depends on the amount of effort you put into (correct me if I'm wrong). 2. Professors who have experience teaching this particular group of students are more accessible in terms of making the materials more comprehensible to the people coming from non-science background (whereas the same concepts might come really easy to those undergrad students who are already on a pre-med track).

I'm not an expert here but just throwing in my 2 cents. Good luck with your choice!

This is exactly what I meant. Thanks so much for your informative (and nice!) response.

It seems to me that you are looking for a more supportive environment as opposed to a sink or swim program (I can relate to the feeling). From my experience, large programs or large classes seem to have a sink or swim mentality, whereas (some) smaller programs/small classes have a more support environment. I would look at places where you have small class sizes and a high number of office hours for additional support. If you look, you can find these programs without paying the $30k+ premium for a formal post bac.

It seems to me that you are looking for a more supportive environment as opposed to a sink or swim program (I can relate to the feeling). From my experience, large programs or large classes seem to have a sink or swim mentality, whereas (some) smaller programs/small classes have a more support environment. I would look at places where you have small class sizes and a high number of office hours for additional support. If you look, you can find these programs without paying the $30k+ premium for a formal post bac.

Thanks a lot!