Post Bac Pre-PT Students 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbptexs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!
I decided to create this forum to meet other students in the same boat as me. I graduated from a Pre-Physical Therapy program and no I did not have above a 3.0 cumulative (2.72 :() Thanks for my two 5 credit Chem courses. I was not a lazy student, I just juggled too much during my last several years in undergrad. Let it be known that I've completed and presented research with my Exercise Physiology professor. This included presenting the same study at our annual state ACSM conference.I'm in the process of teaming up with him and preparing to write a publication for the study.

So far I was lucky to complete some observational hours at a inpatient knee and hip replacement rehab unit for six months, but I still need more hours! :)

As of now, I'm working at a paid Internship, in another state for a University as a Fitness Coordinator. After telling my supervisor that my main goal becoming a Physical Therapist. She state's "Well you know that we have a PT program?... I understand your situation with undergrad grades, but you know that we have a post bac program that will help you prepare for the DPT program?" Plus, she's willing to extend my internship contract for another school year so I can complete the pre reqs and apply to the program.

I apologize for writing a whole chapter. I just wanted to see if anyone else is taking an alternative route and what are you plans to get yourself in the DPT program? Maybe we could all encourage each other? Your insights, suggestions, and feedback will be greatly appreciated. Please no negativity!

PS please excuse the grammar and mechanics I have been up since 4am and going non stop today...:sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as you! It is a relief to hear that I'm not alone in this struggle. I'm a senior at UW and I also don't meet the 3.0 minimum GPA requirement. Unfortunately, I think I was just not ready for going to school at such a large University, I didn't have good studying skills, and the environment didn't fit me well at all... :(

I talked to an advisor a few days ago about the post-bac programs and she said that most post-bac programs are for med schools. Physical Therapy schools don't have the same stigma about community colleges that Medical schools do, and these post-bac programs are often at private schools which means extremely expensive. She advised me to just retake courses at a community college or UW-Bothell instead. Only problem is that it would take me a total of 3 years after graduating to actually enter PT school because I need to take classes, shadow and then application process is one year. My PI offered me a job after I graduate at the research lab I'm working at. A lot of Universities offer tuition exemption for their staff. I'm not sure about interns, but as a staff, I would be able to take classes for free at UW while working. Might be another option you can consider?

It seems like you have a lot of experience to put on your apps though, I think if PT is something you want to do, then we can do it!! No matter the amount of time it would take, if it is something you think you will love to do, it will be worth the wait! :)