post bac programs or state school prereqs? Quick question please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post. Thanks to everyone for the incredible info in these forums, I hope to contribute in the future throughout my journey.

We all know the debate over a formal postbac program, or simply taking prereqs at 4 yr colleges. I am a pretty traditional student because I have not applied yet, and am in my lower 20s still. I do already have a batchelors degree from a 4 yr state school, but lack 3/4 of prereqs, so I am going back for that. Question: All things equal, (MCAT and gpa), will my chances at being accepted be any different taking the prereqs at a state school with no official postbac premed program (University of Kansas in Lawrence) versus one that does have one (San Francisco State U)? I am ready to start either place so any additional details on each school would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

gsd

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from advising and other types of admin support, I doubt there'd be any difference with admissions, since both are regular state schools. SF State with its postbac program may get you in touch with other postbacs, a sort of moral support, but I'm sure you can find that anywhere if you look hard enough.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't think there would be any difference, unless the postbacc program has linkage agreements with certain medical schools. I don't think the SFS has linkages, but other postbac programs like Columbia, Bryn Mar, Groucher, and Drexel do (or should at least when I checked last year).

Linkage agreements generally mean that the postbac programs have definate guidelines which state that if you get 'X' gpa and 'X' MCAT score, you will have a conditional guarantee into 'X' medical school. Specifically speaking about my postbacc program, the gpa ranges from at least a 3.4 to 3.6 within the postbac program, and at least a 27 on the MCAT with at least 9's across the board in the 3 subject matters, in order to "link" with the medical school.
Also, linkages allow you to get into the medical school sooner instead of waiting the traditional year or year and a half cycle period. Anymore questions? Just PM me...