Post Bac Programs vs Doing it yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baloo0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any particular advantage or disadvantage to doing one of the post bac programs or simply taking the pre-reqs. yourself at a university? By doing the post bac at a particular school does that give you a leg up in terms of admission to that medical school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are pros and cons to each method. A formal program is (generally) going to be significantly more expensive than a do-it-yourself, and may be less flexible for someone trying to continue to work.

On the other hand, several have linkages where they can help with admissions (or at the very least, interview) prospects at a given school or schools. The process will also generally be more streamlined to help you with letters of recommendation, research, finding clinical/volunteer experience, etc. etc.

I chose to take the necessary classes on my own through a couple of area colleges, but my decision was primarily a financial one. The considerations will vary from person to person.

I am in a DIY post-bacc. No regrets at all. I never got anything out of advisers in undergrad. Why would I for post-bacc? It's just paying more for very little in return. Getting research (as a volunteer) or LORs is not very hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Roughly speaking for formal programs the benefits are:

Linkages, priority registration, advising, committee letter and community/networking.

On the other side you have:
Flexibility and lower cost. There may also not be a program near you so geography as well.

I agree with Bru. The advantage is the linkages you can make / letters of recc from in house teachers / staff. In terms of the grades though I don't think it matters if you do a post bacc or undergrad at a different school. Admissions just wants to see you do well in a solid chunk of upper level science courses. Doesn't matter if its undergrad / post bacc / etc.

I did a structured program, and it is nice to have everything laid out for you and to get that committee letter, but I also really enjoyed the collaboration between myself and others in the program. It was a huge help!

I did a do it yourself post-bacc which is turning into a second major, but sometimes I wonder if I would be better off if I did a program. Some things I learned through experience is not all bio courses are structured the same, so a professor may focus on ecology concepts because he likes it more, to the detriment of the premeds. This type of thing I assume does not exist in a "name brand" post-bacc because everyone is there for the purpose of getting into med school and not potentially being the next biology PhD. You have to hustle a lot more in a do-it-yourself postbacc. The pre-med adviser may be unsympathetic to you, I learned to embrace the term non-traditional because everything I did was not traditional! Regardless, I'm having lots of fun and saved a lot of money.

I did it own my own. I just applied as a second bach student at an instate univ and just took the classes I needed. frankly I wasn't sure if I could do the work not did I have money for a program. I also supplemented two bio classes at a local cc. It all worked out because I am going to be a doc in 2017! Med school can't care less where yoy did what. Make sure that whatever institution you attend has a good health professions advisor. Or just read this forum inside out. Good luck on your journey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

I did the Postbac Program at Columbia University and just finished in May.

I chose to do a Postbac Program there because of the structured class schedule, Postbac-specific advising, and the "Postbac community" aspect. I suppose it depends on the person, but for me, I knew that returning to studying science after such a long time period without it (hadn't taken any sciences since high school!) a little bit of hand-holding would be very helpful.

It felt really nice to be able to see my course schedule plotted out for me from the day I started, and with the help and support of my advisor I rarely felt overwhelmed. Additional things offered by the Postbac Program were "mock interviews" run by the Postbac Office that absolutely prepared me well for medical school interviews, various clubs and groups composed of Postbacs that organized charity events or offered volunteer opportunities, and, obviously, the all-important committee letter!

So far I have three interviews set up and I still have a number of schools I'm still waiting to hear back from. Not only do I feel very prepared for these interviews and for medical school, but I also have a large group of friends from the Postbac Program that I'm not sure I would have met had I pieced together my own program.

If you want more info specific to CU's program, check out the website: http://gs.columbia.edu/postbac/

I went from a formal post-bac at a big university affiliated with a medical school and ended up leaving to take the remaining 3 courses at a community college (gen chem 2, organic 1 and 2). For me it was #1 financial, I am a cash paying student and the tuition at the university was killer, and #2 I didn't enjoy the large size classes because I didn't get the one on one help I needed in Physics and Gen Chem 1...I also felt the tutoring center was too crowded and a waste of time for me at the university. I think I'm learning a lot more at the community college...believe it or not the same prof teaches at both schools but is more available to help at the community college, go figure. I'm in the process of starting to apply/not in yet so I don't know if I made the right choice.

I should add that I got most/better info from SDN members who actually have gone/are going through the same process rather than an advisor from the post-bac.

First time poster. Hi everyone, looking forward to exploring the site and learning as much as I can from others who share the same goal as myself.

Back on topic:

Currently doing it on my own, though I kinda wish I had done a formal program, as I probably would have been done with the pre-reqs already. Just my luck that I only have my round of physics left, and wasn't able to get into the class this fall. So, basically delayed me a year, I think. Still learning the admissions process, so whether or not I'm still on track for a planned 2014 matriculation or not is still up in the air. Hopefully I can get in for the spring semester.

It was harder to sign up for a couple classes without being enrolled in a degree program than I had anticipated, which is the main reason why I wish I had done a program, though I did save a bunch of cash. The last university wouldn't let me sign up to day classes because I was classified as CE student, which is beyond me, and was only allowed to sign up for those classes and they didn't offer what I wanted/needed. I would take that into consideration as well. Good luck with what you decide to do!

Last edited:
Wt about that programme yourself.
AS about kingly
The name Kingly derives from the ancient Chinese term, “Kingly Herb”. Used to describe a small group of herbs used by emperors and sages, the wealthy and discerning; very special herbs that were recognized as having extraordinary health promoting benefits for those fortunate, or wealthy enough, to acquire them.

I'm a DIY'er as well and the main problem I run into is finding Science classes that are offered in the evening due to my Full Time work schedule. I chose it for the much cheaper cost but it does have some scheduling hurdles.

I went to one of the 'top-tier' formal postbacs and cannot emphasize how effective it is at getting its students into medical school.

While many people don't necessarily need the direct advising of the committee, there is definitely an invisible hand at play at the formal postbacs. You may only see your advisor twice the entire year, but they will be looking out for you regardless the whole time. Classes are scheduled so that they mesh well together and you can manage to take them all within a year. Additionally, from what I've been told, the committee letters they write for you typically are well regarded by medical schools.

While they typically are more expensive, I personally thought it was worth the extra expense. I can say with absolute confidence that there's no way I would've wound up where I am now were it not for the help and support I received at my postbac.

I disagree. The best postbach will not help you when it comes to mcat. I got to see my advisor at my local state school many many times in addition to many workshops she led. the best part was I got state university grant to cover my tuition cost.

I disagree. The best postbach will not help you when it comes to mcat. I got to see my advisor at my local state school many many times in addition to many workshops she led. the best part was I got state university grant to cover my tuition cost.

I attribute my bio section directly to how my bio professor taught the class. She know we were all postbacs and so taught biology in the context of human physiology, which helps significantly for the MCAT. If all your classmates are applying to medical school, it makes sense for the professors to uniformly prepare you for that.

Doing all your pre-reqs in a single year also helps with keeping all the material fresh in your head when you take the MCAT at the end of your program.

That said, the MCAT is only a part of your application. The advisers at these top postbacs have been sending something like 98% of their graduating students to medical school, so they know what they are doing and are exceedingly good at it.

If you are a good student you will probably get into medical school regardless of where you go. A formal postbac has the ability to leverage your application more effectively however. The question the original poster asked was if doing a formal postbac gives you a leg up, and I believe the answer is an unequivocal yes.

I think some post bacs are better than others, mine was awful. If you're going to take it do it at a school were its all post bacs in your classes, mine had majority undergrads and it was not a flexible time at all as the school advertised. I also felt like I was competing with to many pre meds all 70+ in bio and chem and the professor referred us all to the tutoring center which was useless. I get the small class size, same profs, who actually help at the community college. Do I regret not getting a comittee letter? Perhaps, I guess I will find out when I apply. I do know one thing, I will have awesome letters of rec from profs who know the real me not a student out of the many who got a general letter. Again, we will see if I even get accepted...there's pros and cons to both and programs out there differ. If you can find one with mainly all post bac classmates take it!!! Northwestern has such a program.