MD & DO Post-bac programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rmaurer754

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how medical schools view post baccalaureate programs? I've decided to hang back a little with my pre-med requirements as I do something that interests me (I'm non-traditional, Screen Writing). I plan to fulfill my requirements for this major and move on to my med school requirements after I graduate.

In terms of mathematics, I've always been incredibly weak. Science is not my strong suit because of this fact. I love biology but when it intermingles with heavy chemistry I choke up on the application of math. I fear for my GPA so I've decided to take science courses at the community college near me during the summer and winter breaks at my school (Hofstra University). This way, I can prepare myself for my time as a post-bac student when I take them at a 4-year university. I also plan on fulfilling my math requirements at community college. If I were to take extra courses at my community college, would medical schools see that I have done that? Would they factor in the GPA I've received there? Thanks a bunch guys.

Members don't see this ad.

All classes ever taken, anywhere, factor into your GPA. Always. No exceptions (Except DO) Be VERY careful about taking science and math prereqs at a community college; many med schools don't accept them. Yes, all schools you apply to will see all of the classes you've taken; how they view them is dependent on each school.

As far as how schools view postbacs in general; I designed my own postbac program and took as many science classes as possible at my local state school. I did very well in all of them, while working full time and was accepted this year. A buddy of mine; nontrad with 3 kids, did the same thing and was accepted to a different medical school this year. It happens all the time. You don't need to spend a fortune on a "post-bac" program to get your prereqs done. Just do well in them when you take them.

Choking up on math is not a good sign for success at any stage in the process of becoming or being a doctor. If you start from first principles and make sure you are solid on the basics of maths before you move on pre-recs, your journey to med school will be a lot easier. Find a good tutor and do it privately if you are concerned about your GPA being affected. Keeping up your undergrad GPA and putting a bit of extra time into becoming confident in maths will pay you more dividends than anything else at this stage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just doing a shameless self-bump here. Is there any way I can take a science or math course "off the books" at a community college, a.k.a classes that wouldn't show up when I apply to medical school? I really would like a strong foundation in these subjects at a college level.

A fair number of MD and all DO programs like post-bac programs.

Anyone have any idea how medical schools view post baccalaureate programs?

Yes; you have to report all of your classes/grades. Don't worry about taking classes at a CC.

If I were to take extra courses at my community college, would medical schools see that I have done that?

Would they factor in the GPA I've received there?

Is there any way I can take a science or math course "off the books" at a community college, a.k.a classes that wouldn't show up when I apply to medical school? I really would like a strong foundation in these subjects at a college level.
You could audit the class, meaning no grade would be earned, or you could take it Pass/Fail, but any class attempted will still show up on your transcript. If you want to have exposure to a discipline and have it be "off the books" then a private tutor would be the way to go.

You could audit the class, meaning no grade would be earned, or you could take it Pass/Fail, but any class attempted will still show up on your transcript. If you want to have exposure to a discipline and have it be "off the books" then a private tutor would be the way to go.

How do the admission's comities view Audits on a transcript?

Tutors seem like a nice safe route to go.
It depends on the class, the frequency, and the person looking at the transcript.
Audits also sound like a great idea, but if that's a touchy subject then I'm a little hesitant to try them out.