Post bac vs Master Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amaghsou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So Im in this cycle and haven't heard back from any schools yet. Meanwhile, I am looking at applying to post-bacs and masters programs. I am having a hard time trying to narrow down the choices and pick what'll get me to dental school more efficiently. Can someone give me their thoughts on this? If you say master programs are more efficient at matriculating pre-dents to dental school, which programs? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply to Temple? Have you heard of their post-bacc program??? It's an awesome program, but you need to have applied to the dental school in order to receive the post-bacc application.

Did you apply to Temple? Have you heard of their post-bacc program??? It's an awesome program, but you need to have applied to the dental school in order to receive the post-bacc application.
Actually, YES! but I could not figure out how to designate that I'm interested in it? I see that you went to it... can you please give me more info?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, YES! but I could not figure out how to designate that I'm interested in it? I see that you went to it... can you please give me more info?
Temple will send you an email about the post-bacc around Feb-March (I don't remember exactly when). There is a thread about it on SDN https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...school-of-dentistry-post-bac-program.1130228/
Also there is a website for the post-bacc https://dentistry.temple.edu/pb
But if you have any specific questions, let me know or PM me whichever! :)

If you choose to do a masters, one thing you can think about is possibly choosing a traditional masters program over a special masters program (SMP). Doing a SMP is basically a bet, as it is not very marketable should dental school not work out.

If you choose to do a masters, one thing you can think about is possibly choosing a traditional masters program over a special masters program (SMP). Doing a SMP is basically a bet, as it is not very marketable should dental school not work out.
Thank you for the response! So you would say a traditional Master with Thesis would be more marketable?

Thank you for the response! So you would say a traditional Master with Thesis would be more marketable?

I think thesis or no thesis doesn't make that big of a difference, since in the end nobody is really going to read your thesis. If you're trying to improve your science GPA, you probably want to do a traditional masters in a science field. However, you will likely want to choose to do your masters in a field which you would be happy going into if dental school doesn't work out.

SMP serves no purpose other than giving you a chance to "audition for a health professions school". If you perform excellently, then great, it will increase your chances for getting into dental school. However, in the event that you struggle, you lose a lot of money and end up with a degree that you can't do anything with.

Reactions: 2 users
I think thesis or no thesis doesn't make that big of a difference, since in the end nobody is really going to read your thesis. If you're trying to improve your science GPA, you probably want to do a traditional masters in a science field. However, you will likely want to choose to do your masters in a field which you would be happy going into if dental school doesn't work out.

SMP serves no purpose other than giving you a chance to "audition for a health professions school". If you perform excellently, then great, it will increase your chances for getting into dental school. However, in the event that you struggle, you lose a lot of money and end up with a degree that you can't do anything with.
I think this comment put things more into perspective. It seems like Masters would be the better choice. In worst case scenario, you end up with a degree.

Given the type of student that normally needs the academic boost a SMP provides in the first place, a SMP is such a gamble. You could do yourself a favor and do well, or have your dreams crushed and piss away 20-50K for nothing. In hindsight it's a poor ROI and not worth the risk. Take it from someone who's been there and done that. A post-bacc serves the exact same purpose at a cheaper cost to you.

I agree from the post-bacc perspective. If you go to a state post-bacc then your cost is significantly cheaper and there's a lot more flexibility than if you were in a Master's program since you wouldn't have to spend time on research/thesis (not necessarily a bad thing for your app but I believe dental related EC's that are not as strenuous can be equally effective).

I did my program at CSU East Bay and 3 quarters came out to around 15k. I know others in my class who also did post-bacc at other schools (ie CSUF , Connecticut etc...) and it is a viable option if you're just looking to improve your science GPA.

Here's the advice I've usually heard:
If you didn't major in science and/or didn't take a lot of science courses, do a post-bacc
If you did major in science and/or have taken lots of science courses, do an SMP.

I took the "SMP" route this past year, did very well, and got an acceptance to my first choice. I did the GeorgeSquared ABS program, but I'd also suggest the Rutgers GSBS program.

Reactions: 1 users
If you didn't major in science and/or didn't take a lot of science courses, do a post-bacc
If you did major in science and/or have taken lots of science courses, do an SMP.

I took the "SMP" route this past year, did very well, and got an acceptance to my first choice. I did the GeorgeSquared ABS program, but I'd also suggest the Rutgers GSBS program.

Yes, a SMP can help you get into dental school if you do very well, but like what's been said, it's like putting all of your eggs into one basket. By doing a SMP, you are betting on the fact that you will get a dental school acceptance, which is still a long shot, in return. What happens if dental school doesn't work out? What can you do with that SMP?

A post-bacc is very flexible, and will be very effective if your course selections are coherent and you do well.

If your state school offers a SMP do that. Indiana does one for 15 credits per semester for 1 year (30 total). The cost for the whole year is 10k. Of course that being said you need to work your ass off to make it worth it. Personally, I would never do a masters because it takes 2 years and I do not even care for any of the material being taught...I only want to be a dentist!! It all depends on you. If you want it, you'll study your butt off for it in a SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for your response! I just graduated from GMU and I hear mixed reviews for G2. Honestly, I sat down with the program coordinator and she did not really do much to convince me why G2 is potentially better than VCU cert or even Georgetown's SMP. Can you please tell me about it?

Yes, a SMP can help you get into dental school if you do very well, but like what's been said, it's like putting all of your eggs into one basket. By doing a SMP, you are betting on the fact that you will get a dental school acceptance, which is still a long shot, in return. What happens if dental school doesn't work out? What can you do with that SMP?

A post-bacc is very flexible, and will be very effective if your course selections are coherent and you do well.

Can you please explain to me the difference between Post-Bacc, SMP, and a traditional master? It seems like I'm getting confused now.

-My understanding is that a Post-Bacc is designed to allow you to take higher level classes for 1 year (roughly 30 credits) but you do not end up with a degree.
-I thought an SMP was usually linked to a post-bacc and you had an option to take additional classes and you'd end up with a degree.
-Masters was just a traditionally 2 year program that gives you a degree in depth of a sub field of choice?

What I'm not understanding is why is a post bacc more advantageous?

thank you so much!

Given the type of student that normally needs the academic boost a SMP provides in the first place, a SMP is such a gamble. You could do yourself a favor and do well, or have your dreams crushed and piss away 20-50K for nothing. In hindsight it's a poor ROI and not worth the risk. Take it from someone who's been there and done that. A post-bacc serves the exact same purpose at a cheaper cost to you.

Thank you for replying. Sorry if Im not understanding: are you saying that a post bacc is good or not?
What is the most advantageous in your opinion?

Thank you for replying. Sorry if Im not understanding: are you saying that a post bacc is good or not?
What is the most advantageous in your opinion?
A post-bacc is the superior choice in my opinion. You seem to be confused by the difference between a post-bacc and a SMP though. I'll try to break it down for you.

A post-bacc is where you are taking upper level science courses for a year, sometimes two depending how poor your sGPA is, to improve your sGPA and make yourself a more competitive applicant to dental schools. There is no degree earned. A post-bacc can be anything from an organized and specific curriculum of courses at some schools, or just you picking and choosing your own upper level science courses at other schools.

A SMP is a specialty masters program in which you take masters level science courses over a year to two year span dependent on the program you choose to enroll in. The cost of these programs far surpass that of most post-bacc's. These programs tend to be far more difficult and rigorous when compared to a post-bacc as well. Maybe this isn't true for all programs, but I'd say masters level science courses 9 times out of 10 are going to be more difficult than upper level undergrad courses.

I myself was not prepared for just how difficult a SMP was going to be. In hindsight, it was a poor financial decision as well. If given the choice to do it again I would choose the post-bacc every time. Why is this? It's because with a SMP you're paying 20-50K in just tuition (sometimes more and this doesn't even factor in the cost of living) for an increased chance of being accepted into dental school. If you fail to gain acceptance even after the SMP, or far worse if you do poorly in the SMP, you're going to be in a situation where that degree can't really do anything for you. It's not a traditional masters program where it's a terminal degree that results in a career or even higher prospects of being hired on for a job. The best it could do is maybe make you an attractive applicant to a PhD program, but I'd assume most of the members on this forum aren't shooting for a career in research. They're gunning to be dentists and open up their own dental practice or work in a dental chain. A post-bacc accomplishes the same thing a SMP does, which is showing admissions committees that you can handle a heavy courseload of rigorous upper level science courses. A post-bacc does this at a cheaper cost to you, and does not require you moving far away to do so.

Both a post-bacc and SMP are just increasing your chances to gain acceptance into dental school if you perform well. Neither guarantee acceptance, and that's something most students on this forum don't realize. If you go down the SMP route and do poorly, not only have you wasted more money and/or increased your total debt, but you've decreased your chances of getting into dental school as well as other healthcare professions if you decide to fallback on something else. A post-bacc is just less risky overall, both financially and academically speaking. This is just one person's opinion though.

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, thank you for the awesome breakdown. If I choose to do a post-bacc, should I be looking at "non-degree," taking upper lever classes that I did not take during my bachelors, or should I be enrolling in programs that have a specific curriculum?

Wow, thank you for the awesome breakdown. If I choose to do a post-bacc, should I be looking at "non-degree," taking upper lever classes that I did not take during my bachelors, or should I be enrolling in programs that have a specific curriculum?
It honestly doesn't matter in the end. As long as you're making A's in the science courses you take and building up your science GPA that's the goal. Of course you shouldn't take some plant or fish science course to do this, nor should you take some freshman level intro course just to pad your GPA. Admissions committees will look down on that. But as long as you're taking upper level science courses relevant to dental school and are making A's in most of them you're golden. Whether these courses are part of a courseload that you construct yourself or within a post-bacc program with a specified curriculum it doesn't matter. It's whatever you think is best for you to excel at (Example: Don't sign up to take a 400 or 500 level physio course without already having the 200 level physio course as a foundation to build on).

What you said definitely makes sense. I think I have to enroll in a curriculum based one since the university I graduated from doesn't offer many classes that I could use towards a post bacc. Lastly, what's your thoughts on programs that are specifically designed for pre-dental students such as the Temple post bacc; they have emphasize on courses relevant to dentistry and have guaranteed spots to the linked dental schools If you make their criteria? I'm not sure if those are more lucrative or even worse than SMP? Thanks again, I learned a lot from your responses.

Can you please explain to me the difference between Post-Bacc, SMP, and a traditional master? It seems like I'm getting confused now.

-My understanding is that a Post-Bacc is designed to allow you to take higher level classes for 1 year (roughly 30 credits) but you do not end up with a degree.
-I thought an SMP was usually linked to a post-bacc and you had an option to take additional classes and you'd end up with a degree.
-Masters was just a traditionally 2 year program that gives you a degree in depth of a sub field of choice?

What I'm not understanding is why is a post bacc more advantageous?

thank you so much!

I think the other posters explained it quite well why a post-bacc can potentially win. You basically just pick what courses you want to take (but of course, you are going to want to have some sort of direction and not just some random selection) and enroll as a non-degree student, and you are less limited in terms of which university you do this at. Also keep in mind for most SMP's, you would be competing with actual med (or other health professions school) students, and while they would get to take those courses pass/fail, it would be graded for you. You would have to be ranked well above those students in order to do well in an SMP, and to be convincing that you can succeed in dental school.

I think the other posters explained it quite well why a post-bacc can potentially win. You basically just pick what courses you want to take (but of course, you are going to want to have some sort of direction and not just some random selection) and enroll as a non-degree student, and you are less limited in terms of which university you do this at. Also keep in mind for most SMP's, you would be competing with actual med (or other health professions school) students, and while they would get to take those courses pass/fail, it would be graded for you. You would have to be ranked well above those students in order to do well in an SMP, and to be convincing that you can succeed in dental school.
Great explanation! Until now, I always thought SMPs and Pos-Baccs were the same thing. Thank you so much

I am currently just finishing a SMP and will be reapplying (3rd time is the charm, right?). My current feelings before my finals and generally every single week since starting: I wish I did not start this program.

Now I say that, specific to my situation. It really depends on the weak points in your application.
Mine was my DAT. In hindsight, I should have taken these 8-10 months and studied like crazy for the DAT and blown it out of the water.

I highly suggest before entering any program or enrolling for any extra classes, evaluate your needs and do something that specifically meets them. For you that very well may mean doing a Post-Bacc or SMP or full Master's. I'm not discouraging you from that. But you could also be in a similar situation to me.

Regardless, do what needs to be done to meet your needs. Don't beat around the bush by doing a magical program if that is not what your application needs.

I am currently just finishing a SMP and will be reapplying (3rd time is the charm, right?). My current feelings before my finals and generally every single week since starting: I wish I did not start this program.

Now I say that, specific to my situation. It really depends on the weak points in your application.
Mine was my DAT. In hindsight, I should have taken these 8-10 months and studied like crazy for the DAT and blown it out of the water.

I highly suggest before entering any program or enrolling for any extra classes, evaluate your needs and do something that specifically meets them. For you that very well may mean doing a Post-Bacc or SMP or full Master's. I'm not discouraging you from that. But you could also be in a similar situation to me.

Regardless, do what needs to be done to meet your needs. Don't beat around the bush by doing a magical program if that is not what your application needs.
I'm always hesitant to flat out tell someone "Don't do a SMP. Don't be an idiot like me." I don't/didn't want to throw my jaded views on the board with my individual bad experience though. But over time I feel like I've read so many negative experiences with SMPs that it seems like it's GPA suicide unless you're working with a GPA that's AT or UNDER 3.0. If you've got a 3.2+ there's no chance I'd tell someone to do a SMP. I just didn't feel like being blunt like that was the proper way to come across when this thread was first made.

I had that exact feeling from the moment I enrolled in my SMP until the moment I withdrew. Thankfully everything was wiped from my transcripts due to the circumstances surrounding my withdrawal, however I knew from the moment I started until a month and a half later when I withdrew and moved back home that it was a terrible mistake. I felt like I was thrown into courses where the material I was being exposed to was being thrown at me too fast. It was like drinking water from a fire hose. That's exceedingly difficult when you've only got a 200 level foundation to build on in some of the subjects taught, if that.

Lastly, I agree with you in regards to the DAT. If you're working with a 3.2+ I think just cracking down and getting a better exam score is worth someone's time rather than to take masters level courses of any kind. Post-bacc are acceptable, but even then I wouldn't be taking 15-16 credits of post-bacc if it were me. I'd be part-time with 9 upper level sciences so I would know I could handle the workload. and get the A's I need.

So you're going to reapply? How'd the SMP end up going for you?

Last edited:
What you said definitely makes sense. I think I have to enroll in a curriculum based one since the university I graduated from doesn't offer many classes that I could use towards a post bacc. Lastly, what's your thoughts on programs that are specifically designed for pre-dental students such as the Temple post bacc; they have emphasize on courses relevant to dentistry and have guaranteed spots to the linked dental schools If you make their criteria? I'm not sure if those are more lucrative or even worse than SMP? Thanks again, I learned a lot from your responses.
I apologize for not responding to your reply before this one. I'm bad with keeping up with threads unless someone quotes my post, tags me, or likes one of my posts. How are you doing now though? What path did you decide to take?

Great discussion. Are there Master's programs that are tailored for dental students (like an SMP) but are actually regarded as actual Master's not SMPs? There must be some out there right? I think Rutger's MS is one of them?

Great discussion. Are there Master's programs that are tailored for dental students (like an SMP) but are actually regarded as actual Master's not SMPs? There must be some out there right? I think Rutger's MS is one of them?
From my experience researching, I have not came across a single Masters program that is catered towards predents. I am assuming that some dental schools offer a Masters in Oral Microbiome, but I am not sure if that is exactly what you are looking for. I think the Rutger's MS is another "Biomedical Sciences" program, so it'll have similar courses to the SMPs. The SMPs are just super convenient because they are usually 1 year. Another notable one that you may look into is the program at Barry University.

I apologize for not responding to your reply before this one. I'm bad with keeping up with threads unless someone quotes my post, tags me, or likes one of my posts. How are you doing now though? What path did you decide to take?
Hey! Thank you for asking. I am honestly struggling making my mind on what program to choose. None of my previous advisors are really helping me and it seems like no one around me can give me a solid answer. Unfortunately, my science GPA is in a bad place and I need to rise it for the upcoming cycle(s) and it seems like some form of a post-bacc is the only thing I can do. I can't really go back to my hometown university because I've taken almost all the courses available. I applied to like 6 programs and heard back from 3 so far. Can I DM you for your advice? I would appreciate it.

From my experience researching, I have not came across a single Masters program that is catered towards predents. I am assuming that some dental schools offer a Masters in Oral Microbiome, but I am not sure if that is exactly what you are looking for. I think the Rutger's MS is another "Biomedical Sciences" program, so it'll have similar courses to the SMPs. The SMPs are just super convenient because they are usually 1 year. Another notable one that you may look into is the program at Barry University.

IIRC Rutger has both MBS and MS...
Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Newark Division

Is the MS regarded as an actual MS?

Yes the MBS gives you a masters in biomedical sciences without a thesis.
If Rutger's MS is an actual MS then that's probably my top choice... If I do well this quarter my gpa is not low enough where I should go for a course-heavy SMP and should do a master's instead (sGPA ~3.3 oGPA ~3.45). I also have some research experience and am interested in the field of research.

The question is... Are there other traditional masters with thesis like Rutger's that are for predent?

If Rutger's MS is an actual MS then that's probably my top choice... If I do well this quarter my gpa is not low enough where I should go for a course-heavy SMP and should do a master's instead (sGPA ~3.3 oGPA ~3.45). I also have some research experience and am interested in the field of research.

The question is... Are there other traditional masters with thesis like Rutger's that are for predent?
Like I said, there should be plenty of dental schools that offer a masters in oral biology. Obviously if you get in to those master programs, you could technically chose your thesis. Additionally, I am not sure what your interest is, but I am sure you can do oral related research at any university that offers a masters program. During my undergrad years (at GMU, which doesnt even have a health school), my PI allowed me to do research on carries-causing bacteria and natural antibiotics for the oral cavity.

Additionally, I think most people in this forum would agree that you don't need a masters (unless you want one) with your current stats.

Like I said, there should be plenty of dental schools that offer a masters in oral biology. Obviously if you get in to those master programs, you could technically chose your thesis. Additionally, I am not sure what your interest is, but I am sure you can do oral related research at any university that offers a masters program. During my undergrad years (at GMU, which doesnt even have a health school), my PI allowed me to do research on carries-causing bacteria and natural antibiotics for the oral cavity.

Additionally, I think most people in this forum would agree that you don't need a masters (unless you want one) with your current stats.

Yeah I will definitely look into oral biology master's like the one from BU. I guess I was confusing myself with what count as traditional master's and what count as SMPs. Originally I thought those masters in oral biology like BU's are SMPs as well.

My research interests are in molecular biology and microbiology and more specifically in oncology. If I get into oral biology master's I guess I can pursue oral cancer-related research.

Stats is not too much of an issue but consistency is. I did horribly my 2nd college year (I have 3 total) with 1 D and 2 Fs and 3 Ws plus my 1st year was at a 2 year's institution. In order to show more consistency in grades and maturity (I'm still 19) I think master's is a pretty good option for me.

Yeah I will definitely look into oral biology master's like the one from BU. I guess I was confusing myself with what count as traditional master's and what count as SMPs. Originally I thought those masters in oral biology like BU's are SMPs as well.

My research interests are in molecular biology and microbiology and more specifically in oncology. If I get into oral biology master's I guess I can pursue oral cancer-related research.

Stats is not too much of an issue but consistency is. I did horribly my 2nd college year (I have 3 total) with 1 D and 2 Fs and 3 Ws plus my 1st year was at a 2 year's institution. In order to show more consistency in grades and maturity (I'm still 19) I think master's is a pretty good option for me.
Got you! Sounds like a great plan! Look for schools that have that concentration specifically; I am sure you can make more advancement, especially if you get a publication.

Most SMPs are catered towards candidates who did poorly at 4 year university and are interested in Dental/Med school. Traditional Masters are geared towards individuals who are interested in having a deeper understanding in a particular field of interest. i.e. microbiology

Personally, I'd take your route, but I feel like I'm getting old (24) and need to start the next phase as quick as possible haha.

They're usually all tailored to those seeking acceptance into MD/DO school, or they're tailored to all pre-health professionals seeking entrance into professional schools (med, dentistry, vet, optometry). I chose a master's program (Iowa State) that wasn't "technically" a SMP since it wasn't on that grand list, but it had all the same aspects any SMP does. I assume that's how Rutgers is. The only difference with a traditional SMP is usually they'll offer you an interview to the professional school if you maintain a certain GPA throughout the program.

Hey! Thank you for asking. I am honestly struggling making my mind on what program to choose. None of my previous advisors are really helping me and it seems like no one around me can give me a solid answer. Unfortunately, my science GPA is in a bad place and I need to rise it for the upcoming cycle(s) and it seems like some form of a post-bacc is the only thing I can do. I can't really go back to my hometown university because I've taken almost all the courses available. I applied to like 6 programs and heard back from 3 so far. Can I DM you for your advice? I would appreciate it.
Of course you can. I'm happy to give it, although don't solely rely on any advice given on SDN, mine included. Whatever decision you make should be an accumulation of all factors considered after all resources are exhausted. College advisers usually do suck at this kind of thing though. Most just don't have a whole lot of experience with it because their scope is usually very general. I never had a college adviser that I thought was competent enough for me to rely on and I went through 6 of them throughout my undergrad.

sGPA ~3.3 oGPA ~3.45
I would never do a masters with that GPA. If anything I'd just take a couple of post-bacc classes in an attempt to slightly raise it. Personally I'd volunteer more, try to raise my DAT score, and use the shotgun approach of applying to a high number of schools though. Anyone with that GPA shouldn't be taking such a risk associated with a MS or SMP in my personal opinion.

Hello everyone, not sure if anyone will see this thread but does attending a post bach like Temple guarantee a spot in the dental program the following year if you do well?
Thanks!

Hello everyone, not sure if anyone will see this thread but does attending a post bach like Temple guarantee a spot in the dental program the following year if you do well?
Thanks!
Absolutely not. Would it help? Absolutely. Do I know anything about the Temple program? Absolutely not. But are there any guarantees? Absolutely not.

Thanks!
I interviewed for that program a few years ago. At that point (before the program as known), they told us that every post bacc student has a spot "saved" as long as you meet the stipulations. I think at that time, it was a 20 on the DAT and 3.5 in the program.

Hind site, I am glad I never got in because the knowledge you gain in a traditional post bacc will go a long way during your first year. Traditional post bacc are more geared towards your first year at dental school. If I remember correctly, the Temple program was more clinical heavy. At that time, I dont think the program offered anatomy, physiology, biochem, or histo.

But nonetheless, if you do well in the program, meet their other requirements, I am sure you would be a strong candidate to get in to their program.

Thanks!

You're pretty much guarantee a spot if you meet the requirements.
As @amaghsou stated, the only downside would be that you don't get much exposure to the actual D1/D2 curriculum: histology, anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, etc.
This is a great program that will get you into dental schools, but I wouldn't go unless you want to go to Temple.

You're pretty much guarantee a spot if you meet the requirements.
As @amaghsou stated, the only downside would be that you don't get much exposure to the actual D1/D2 curriculum: histology, anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, etc.
This is a great program that will get you into dental schools, but I wouldn't go unless you want to go to Temple.
Thanks for the response! I’ll look into it :)

I interviewed for that program a few years ago. At that point (before the program as known), they told us that every post bacc student has a spot "saved" as long as you meet the stipulations. I think at that time, it was a 20 on the DAT and 3.5 in the program.

Hind site, I am glad I never got in because the knowledge you gain in a traditional post bacc will go a long way during your first year. Traditional post bacc are more geared towards your first year at dental school. If I remember correctly, the Temple program was more clinical heavy. At that time, I dont think the program offered anatomy, physiology, biochem, or histo.

But nonetheless, if you do well in the program, meet their other requirements, I am sure you would be a strong candidate to get in to their program.
Ok awesome this was really helpful! :)