post bac work question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lorbis

Schmember
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again! :cool:

I am in need of more advice. I want to take some post-bacc classes in the spring to get my c/sGPA up (they are both 3.4 right now). Does it make a difference if I am part time or full time while taking these classes? Do medical schools look at classes with more weight if you have taken a heavier load?

I want to take about 8 credits (two classes) of upper level science classes in the spring, because I plan on working and volunteering, too. I just would like everyone's opinion on whether they will look down on being part time instead of full time.

Also, I am apply next summer for FALL 2011.

Thanks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Hello again! :cool:

I am in need of more advice. I want to take some post-bacc classes in the spring to get my c/sGPA up (they are both 3.4 right now). Does it make a difference if I am part time or full time while taking these classes? Do medical schools look at classes with more weight if you have taken a heavier load?

I want to take about 8 credits (two classes) of upper level science classes in the spring, because I plan on working and volunteering, too. I just would like everyone's opinion on whether they will look down on being part time instead of full time.

Also, I am apply next summer for FALL 2011.

Thanks!:D

I did my entire post-bacc part-time while working full time. My GPA was lower than yours when I started. I took 10 credits/quarter. As long as you get all A's and the coursework is rigorous (ex. Biochemistry, Embryology, etc.) it'll be fine.

Thanks, nontrad, you are a wise old fogie!

Another question: It is good to retake classes that I did poorly in? My first semester of physics I churned out a C+! Next semester I bounced up to a B+. As you can tell, physics is difficult for me.

Should I retake? Do adcoms give merit to that?

Thanks, nontrad, you are a wise old fogie!

Another question: It is good to retake classes that I did poorly in? My first semester of physics I churned out a C+! Next semester I bounced up to a B+. As you can tell, physics is difficult for me.

Should I retake? Do adcoms give merit to that?

Alot of it depends on how much science coursework you actually have. If you have a ton already than retaking physics will be less important as long as you do well on the PS section of the MCAT. But if all you have are the science prereqs than definitely retake physics. As far the impact on your GPA, for AMCAS it's just averaged in like another grade, but make sure you do well. Doing poorly in a class twice is a pretty damaging statement on your abilities. For AACOMAS they have grade forgiveness, so the new grade actually erases and replaces the old grade, which makes GPA repair much more efficient for DO applications.