post bac??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archonsbk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw some threads that were talking about doing post-bac for one or 2 years after graduating from college, if one's GPA is not so good enough.

What is post-bac exactly?
Is it like attending to a grad school?
If it is so, what do they require? GRE?

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need a GRE because post-bac is simply taking more undergraduate level classes (ususally science) to boost your gpa after you graduate. A graduate program has a GPA that remains seperate from your undergraduate record.

I saw some threads that were talking about doing post-bac for one or 2 years after graduating from college, if one's GPA is not so good enough.

What is post-bac exactly?
Is it like attending to a grad school?
If it is so, what do they require? GRE?

If your GPA is too low I would recommend getting a masters in either some science area like chemistry or biology... or getting a masters in public health... either would be good for dental school. I had to take this route as well and was just accepted this year. If you are thinking about getting a masters, they do require you to take the GRE ...it's extremely easy compared to the DAT though... I remember only studying for a day or two before I took it. Grad school is much easier than undergrad in my experience, for the simple fact that there are no busy work assignments and everything is straight forward. If your science gpa is low though, definitely don't do the MPH, get a chemistry or biology masters (biology would be of more benefit to you in dental school).

Members don't see this ad :)
If your science gpa is low though, definitely don't do the MPH, get a chemistry or biology masters (biology would be of more benefit to you in dental school).

I don't necessarily agree. A handful of dental schools offer a dual DDS/MPH, so having an MPH under your belt means more than just taking classes to boost your GPA - it means that you have an interesting perspective (most importantly, an informed perspective) on the complexities of health care (especially at times like these).

If your GPA is too low I would recommend getting a masters in either some science area like chemistry or biology... or getting a masters in public health... either would be good for dental school. I had to take this route as well and was just accepted this year. If you are thinking about getting a masters, they do require you to take the GRE ...it's extremely easy compared to the DAT though... I remember only studying for a day or two before I took it. Grad school is much easier than undergrad in my experience, for the simple fact that there are no busy work assignments and everything is straight forward. If your science gpa is low though, definitely don't do the MPH, get a chemistry or biology masters (biology would be of more benefit to you in dental school).
how long was you masters in biology? i mean the minimum please?