Post Bacc and AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrawHatDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you are doing well. I am planning on doing a post bacc at Dominican University this fall. I recently applied to DO schools but am now looking to apply to MD schools after scoring a 30 on my most recent MCAT. Now my MCAT may be great but I'm pretty sure my AMCAS science gpa will suck (let's just say it was a 2.99 on AACOMAS, and that's having retaken two pre med courses).

I know that by the end of the program, god willing, I will be successful, and that my science gpa will increase a lot to the point that it will be competitive. I know that if I apply to MD schools next year, I'll have a competitive application. But I don't want to go through another cycle and wait another year, so here's my question.

There are only two schools I can apply to that I can realistically include the grades of the courses I will take this fall semester into my primary app and into the amcas gpa. For every other school, the most I can say is that I am taking them. But I can't provide a grade. So here's my question: will medical schools look at the post bacc transcript if I apply this fall if I sent it separately after the semester ends? Will they ask to see the transcript? I hope this makes sense. Basically, I want to show these MD schools my fall semester transcript so that they can give me chance to compete for a spot (that's of course, if I'm successful which I plan to be). I'm wondering, if I apply, whether I'd get that opportunity to show that despite the primary application deadline well past.

Hope this makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

A 2.99 will probably get you screened out of most if not all MD schools. It's very unlikely that they will wait until December for a fall transcript.

How can you "realistically include the grades of the courses [you] will take this fall semester"? You haven't taken the courses yet, you don't have a grade. You cannot enter grades for current/future coursework in AMCAS, those grades will not figure into an AMCAS gpa.

If you want a shot at MD, you'll have to wait a year and apply next year. But realistically, with a sub-3.2 GPA and a 30, MD chances are slim.

Hi all,

Hope you are doing well. I am planning on doing a post bacc at Dominican University this fall. I recently applied to DO schools but am now looking to apply to MD schools after scoring a 30 on my most recent MCAT. Now my MCAT may be great but I'm pretty sure my AMCAS science gpa will suck (let's just say it was a 2.99 on AACOMAS, and that's having retaken two pre med courses).

I know that by the end of the program, god willing, I will be successful, and that my science gpa will increase a lot to the point that it will be competitive. I know that if I apply to MD schools next year, I'll have a competitive application. But I don't want to go through another cycle and wait another year, so here's my question.

There are only two schools I can apply to that I can realistically include the grades of the courses I will take this fall semester into my primary app and into the amcas gpa. For every other school, the most I can say is that I am taking them. But I can't provide a grade. So here's my question: will medical schools look at the post bacc transcript if I apply this fall if I sent it separately after the semester ends? Will they ask to see the transcript? I hope this makes sense. Basically, I want to show these MD schools my fall semester transcript so that they can give me chance to compete for a spot (that's of course, if I'm successful which I plan to be). I'm wondering, if I apply, whether I'd get that opportunity to show that despite the primary application deadline well past.

Hope this makes sense.
Some med schools will request a formal postbac transcript. Some would accept a formal transcript if you sent one, but they would not recalculate your new GPAs. Others do not accept any supplemental submissions.

Unless you already have a solid year of excellent recent grades on your transcript at the end of college, I find it highly unlikely that an MD school will let outstanding grades for a single semester trump a BCPM GPA as low as yours. My advice would be to wait until the end of the postbac and apply early next cycle with a year of > 3.7 GPA on your record. Except that you seem to be in a hurry.