This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nina212

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to take a DIY post-bacc and I am only missing the prerequisites for medical school. I am wondering what my course load should be? I am planning to take biology, general chem, physics, organic chem, and english. Obviously, general chem is a prequisite for organic chem so I cannot take those in the same semester. Therefore, I will not have a full course load of 5 courses per semester and I am wondering if I should take other courses just for the sake of a full course load or keep it the way it is? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I did the same thing you and my schedule was:

Fall 1: bio 1, gen Chem 1, physics 1
Spring 1: bio 2, gen chem 2, english 1, anatomy 1
Fall 2; ochem 1, genetics, english 2, psychology
Spring 2: Ochem 2, microbiology, physics 2
“maymester” Aka a summer course that lasted the month of may: Biochem

Looking back: 3 lab sciences at once was a lot, but nothing compared to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I plan to take a DIY post-bacc and I am only missing the prerequisites for medical school. I am wondering what my course load should be? I am planning to take biology, general chem, physics, organic chem, and english. Obviously, general chem is a prequisite for organic chem so I cannot take those in the same semester. Therefore, I will not have a full course load of 5 courses per semester and I am wondering if I should take other courses just for the sake of a full course load or keep it the way it is? Thank you in advance!
You're likely not accounting for the required labs. How strong is your math background? If it's not robust, strongly consider taking a refresher algebra course the summer before you start (your grades in chemistry and physics will thank you). Do you have sufficient ECs already, and do you need to financially support yourself through the post-bac? All of these will influence how intensive each semester should be. Keep in mind that many schools also require biochemistry now, though this only needs to be completed prior to matriculation. There's different ways to approach this, but some possible templates:

(Weak math background; 2 year approach; allows for time to pursue work, volunteering, and research)
Summer before: Algebra
Year 1: Biology I/II+lab, Inorganic Chemistry I/II+lab
Summer 1: Physics I/II+lab
Year 2: Organic Chemistry I/II+lab, Humanities/Social Sciences I* (fall), Upper division classes**, MCAT prep (spring)
Summer 2: Application to medical schools
Fall 3: Interviews (til end of cycle)+ Humanities/Social Sciences II*
Spring 3: Biochemistry I
Summer 3/Fall 4: Matriculation to medical school

(Strong math background; 2 year approach; allows for time to pursue work, volunteering and research)
Summer before: Inorganic Chemistry I/II+lab
Year 1: Biology I/II+lab, Organic Chemistry I/II+lab
Year 2: Humanities/Social Sciences I/II, Biochemistry I (fall), Upper division classes**, MCAT prep (spring)
Fall 3: Interviews (til end of cycle)

* The humanities/social sciences requirement can be moved around as needed
** Additional upper division classes can be taken during Year 2 to bulk up the course load depending on work and other obligations. Taking two classes+labs will sufficiently demonstrate enough rigor and time management skills for someone who is also working; whereas it will be woefully insufficient for someone who is essentially just studying and doing some volunteering here and there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're likely not accounting for the required labs. How strong is your math background? If it's not robust, strongly consider taking a refresher algebra course the summer before you start (your grades in chemistry and physics will thank you). Do you have sufficient ECs already, and do you need to financially support yourself through the post-bac? All of these will influence how intensive each semester should be. Keep in mind that many schools also require biochemistry now, though this only needs to be completed prior to matriculation. There's different ways to approach this, but some possible templates:

(Weak math background; 2 year approach; allows for time to pursue work, volunteering, and research)
Year 2: Organic Chemistry I/II+lab, Humanities/Social Sciences I* (fall), Upper division classes**, MCAT prep (spring)

(Strong math background; 2 year approach; allows for time to pursue work, volunteering and research)
Year 2: Humanities/Social Sciences I/II, Biochemistry I (fall), Upper division classes**, MCAT prep (spring)

** Additional upper division classes can be taken during Year 2 to bulk up the course load depending on work and other obligations. Taking two classes+labs will sufficiently demonstrate enough rigor and time management skills for someone who is also working; whereas it will be woefully insufficient for someone who is essentially just studying and doing some volunteering here and there.
Thank you for your suggestions! I am actually a psychology major and I have taken extensive courses in the social sciences and humanities thus far in my undergraduate studies, so I do not think I need a humanities course for the post-bacc. Also, the last time I did anything regarding chemistry and physics was twelfth grade. So I obviously have forgotten some basics and I would like to know the easiest way to cover the basics prior to my post-bacc enrolment. Also, I will be graduating in November this year & starting the post-bacc in January 2021.

Also, sorry, I do not need to financially support myself and I need to improve my EC’s throughout my post-bacc through volunteering.

I am planning to take biology, general chem, physics, organic chem, and english.
I am actually a psychology major and I have taken extensive courses in the social sciences and humanities thus far in my undergraduate studies, so I do not think I need a humanities course for the post-bacc. Also, the last time I did anything regarding chemistry and physics was twelfth grade. So I obviously have forgotten some basics and I would like to know the easiest way to cover the basics prior to my post-bacc enrolment. Also, I will be graduating in November this year & starting the post-bacc in January 2021.
- If you've done a lot of writing-intensive courses, then you don't need any more English classes as humanities, social sciences, etc. all count towards the English requirement. (Edit: many, but not all schools will substitute these for English classes)
- Look through the textbook used by your post-bac chemistry course. Depending on the rigor of your high school chemistry class, you may or may not need a refresher. Self-study as needed.
- It's hard to provide further guidance without knowing the course offerings at your particular school as the starting course in a sequence is often not offered in the spring (except maybe at larger institutions?). I would still recommend taking two years to complete the post-bacc as it will give additional time to buff up your CV. Doing the post-bacc over one year will provide very little time to pursue extra-curricular activities.
- For the 1 year option (not recommended), I have typically seen this only with the 1-year formal post-bacc programs. Inorganic chemistry is taken during the summer, and then biology, organic chemistry and physics are taken during the year alongside MCAT and application prep. Adequate ECs are still expected at the time of application. This is a recipe for disaster though for a DIY student and someone who needs additional ECs.
- Even if you don't need the money, working (in a clinical or non-clinical job) is still a good activity in itself come application time. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
So I took all of the prerequisites in 12 months. I would recommend taking 2 years though, as it's tough to shadow, volunteer, and study for the MCAT while taking all those science classes. I took general chemistry I & II in the Summer, biology, physics and organic in the Fall, and biology, physics, organic, and biochemistry in the Spring.

One thing I wish I'd done was go through the MCAT prep book as I was taking that class. That would've made it slightly more possibly to at least take the MCAT at the end of the second Summer.

Reactions: 1 user
- If you've done a lot of writing-intensive courses, then you don't need any more English classes as humanities, social sciences, etc. all count towards the English requirement.
- Look through the textbook used by your post-bac chemistry course. Depending on the rigor of your high school chemistry class, you may or may not need a refresher. Self-study as needed.
- It's hard to provide further guidance without knowing the course offerings at your particular school as the starting course in a sequence is often not offered in the spring (except maybe at larger institutions?). I would still recommend taking two years to complete the post-bacc as it will give additional time to buff up your CV. Doing the post-bacc over one year will provide very little time to pursue extra-curricular activities.
- For the 1 year option (not recommended), I have typically seen this only with the 1-year formal post-bacc programs. Inorganic chemistry is taken during the summer, and then biology, organic chemistry and physics are taken during the year alongside MCAT and application prep. Adequate ECs are still expected at the time of application. This is a recipe for disaster though for a DIY student and someone who needs additional ECs.
- Even if you don't need the money, working (in a clinical or non-clinical job) is still a good activity in itself come application time. Just my thoughts.
Hello, I was considering to buy the TPR books for chemistry and physics review. Also, if I am not working, are 3 science courses with lab are still considered a full course load? I want to raise my gpa (and also do the prereqs) through the post-bacc so I want to be able to demonstrate to the admissions committee I am serious about my grades and can handle a full courseload. And do humanities classes count as an English credit for d.o. schools as well? I am mainly aiming for d.o. schools. Also, the school offers the first part of general chem in the spring & the second part in the summer.

Hello, I was considering to buy the TPR books for chemistry and physics review. Also, if I am not working, are 3 science courses with lab are still considered a full course load? I want to raise my gpa (and also do the prereqs) through the post-bacc so I want to be able to demonstrate to the admissions committee I am serious about my grades and can handle a full courseload. And do humanities classes count as an English credit for d.o. schools as well? I am mainly aiming for d.o. schools. Also, the school offers the first part of general chem in the spring & the second part in the summer.
Yes, 3 courses + labs will count as a full time course load while you pursue ECs and other activities to buff up your application. Since you're applying to mostly DO schools, what is your GPA? If you haven't been an A student, I would recommend taking it slow to avoid doing poorly in these prereqs (the transition to purely science classes can be rough depending on someone's background). Bad postbac grades can take year(s) of additional work to overcome.

Also, let me backtrack on what I said earlier, as not all schools consider humanities and social science classes as substitutes for English (I don't understand why they don't, but they make the rules). So it'll probably be safer for you to have an English sequence under your belt UNLESS the schools you're interested in all say that they consider the humanities courses you have taken to fulfill their English requirement. You'll need to call or email them to find out. Just my thoughts

Yes, 3 courses + labs will count as a full time course load while you pursue ECs and other activities to buff up your application. Since you're applying to mostly DO schools, what is your GPA? If you haven't been an A student, I would recommend taking it slow to avoid doing poorly in these prereqs (the transition to purely science classes can be rough depending on someone's background). Bad postbac grades can take year(s) of additional work to overcome.

Also, let me backtrack on what I said earlier, as not all schools consider humanities and social science classes as substitutes for English (I don't understand why they don't, but they make the rules). So it'll probably be safer for you to have an English sequence under your belt UNLESS the schools you're interested in all say that they consider the humanities courses you have taken to fulfill their English requirement. You'll need to call or email them to find out. Just my thoughts
My GPA is 2.87 and I intend it to be 3.2 by the time I graduate. I have an upward trend going, last semester I had a 3.85 GPA. I am taking classes in biology as well and I already reviewed some basic chemistry concepts and I am recalling the information better. I plan to take the two year approach to the post-bacc.

I recognize this thread is a couple months old, but I am in a similar boat as OP. In your first template, are there any issues taking the MCAT before Biochemistry and before finishing the second semester of Organic Chemistry?

Thanks in advance!