POST-BACC HELP! Which option is best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doitforkids

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering if Open University, Informal, or Formal post-bacc was best for me.

I graduated from a UC with a 2.7gpa. Many years of E.C and leadership positions in most of them. Strong LORs. No MCAT score yet. I would like to attend somewhere that would be easier to get A's in, but have somewhat of a good supportive nature. I noticed I do well in environments where people help/challenge each other.

My options:

1. Should I take classes at UCLA extension classes to re-take some of the classes.
-My only worry is that it will be more difficult to get A's here than other schools such as cal-state

2. Apply to formal programs CSULA, SFSU, CSUEB.
-What are my chances of getting in with my low gpa?

3. Take open university classes at cal-state schools CSULA, CSULB
-How difficult is it to get into the pre-req classes because I would be at the bottom of the priority list.

Any feedback would help!

I don't have any experience with West Coast programs but I'd bet heavily against you being competitive for formal programs. Sometimes, you can apply/register as a "second degree student" instead of a non-degree student at a school, which allows you to register with other degree-seeking students (and you would get advanced standing based on credits transferred over from your first degree). I would consider doing that, making a spreadsheet seeing what you need to do to get over a 3.0. As for doing the prereqs in one year or two years, when to take the MCAT - tough calls

You're going to have a very difficult time getting into formal programs with that gpa, unfortunately. You're better off either retaking courses OR taking new science courses at your undergrad/other schools. Focus on a year of building that gpa and THEN either do a post-bacc OR take an SMP. I find SMPs are going to be the best option for you after boosting your gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
SFSU and CSU EB (and several other programs, I'm sure) specifically have "academic enhancer" programs in addition to what's available for career changers.

Honestly, I don't know what's considered "competitive" for these programs, but it seems that the directors are quite open to meeting with prospective students and happy to answer questions about their program. So in a nutshell, you ought to start contacting the directors of the programs that you're interested in. You'll get better info from them than what you'll likely get here.

I am in similar situation as you. I graduated from UC about 2 years ago with similar gpa as yours. First, I would re calculate what your AMCAS gpa is so that you know where you really stand. What I did after graduation was retake classes at UC extension, and at CC's. It is difficult to get into science classes at UC's or CSU's as open university student. I am in middle of applying to SFSU, CSU EB and CSULA academic enhancer programs right now to take some upper division courses. Then I am planning on applying to SMP at the end of this year. It is going to be a long process. Good luck.

I did not take classes at UCLA extension. I re took ochem at UCR during summer. They have courses where you take 1 year of ochem in summer. If you want to retake ochem, you should look into that. Every 3 weeks they will cover 1 quarter of ochem. I tried to take classes at UCR extension and UCI, and I had no luck. UCI only allows 2 classes per quarter for extension students. Because you probably have accumulated a lot of units, you probably have to spend some time to raise your gpa close to 3.0. If I were you, I would contact SFSU and CSUEB to see if you are competitive enough to get into their post bac program. From my experience, it really helps to be in structure program to do post bac work. Both schools seem to have friendly staffs. Both of their applications are not due until June so I would really look into it.