Post Bacc Hunter vs. CUNY Brooklyn College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doomoo123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am editing an old post of mines because I just realized I mistaken with something.

I am currently a sophomore going for a BA in psychology at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I am thinking of attending the post bac pre med program at either CUNY City College of New York or Hunter College.

I am wondering which program I should apply to? Or is the best route, since I am out of state and so I have to first be accepted by a CUNY school before applying to a post bac pre med program, that I should apply to both?

Also, I am wondering if it is better that I transfer as an undergrad to one of the schools just so that I will already be accepted by school and all I have to worry about is being accepted into the program, rather than getting my undergrad here at the University of Hawaii and worrying about getting into a CUNY school and into the program as well?

And sometimes it was mention in the CCNY website that you can get into a CUNY/CCNY school but not the post bach pre med program? Does this only apply to the post back pre med City college of new york or for the post bach pre med program in Hunter college as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For the Hunter PB, you need to have already received your degree before entering the the program. I guess we are talking like 3 years out. Also, I have no idea why you would want to do it instead of just completing your pre-reqs where you're at. Anyway, mull it over. You've got plenty of time to think it over.

finish your pre-reqs at your college. you are a sophomore for godsake

Members don't see this ad :)
I am editing an old post of mines because I just realized I mistaken with something.

I am currently a sophomore going for a BA in psychology at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I am thinking of attending the post bac pre med program at either CUNY City College of New York or Hunter College.

I am wondering which program I should apply to? Or is the best route, since I am out of state and so I have to first be accepted by a CUNY school before applying to a post bac pre med program, that I should apply to both?

Also, I am wondering if it is better that I transfer as an undergrad to one of the schools just so that I will already be accepted by school and all I have to worry about is being accepted into the program, rather than getting my undergrad here at the University of Hawaii and worrying about getting into a CUNY school and into the program as well?

And sometimes it was mention in the CCNY website that you can get into a CUNY/CCNY school but not the post bach pre med program? Does this only apply to the post back pre med City college of new york or for the post bach pre med program in Hunter college as well?

I think you are extremely confused. A "post-bac" means exactly that. It is a program for applicants who have finished their baccalaureates. And just in case you don't understand what that is, it is what we typically refer to as an undergraduate degree. That said, transferring into a CUNY undergraduate school does not guarantee admission into their post-bacc program. They have admissions committees separate from the undergraduate admissions committee. Furthermore, if you are currently a sophomore, that means you have 3 years to complete 4 courses. Why on Earth can't you complete them at your current institution?

I think you are extremely confused. A "post-bac" means exactly that. It is a program for applicants who have finished their baccalaureates. And just in case you don't understand what that is, it is what we typically refer to as an undergraduate degree. That said, transferring into a CUNY undergraduate school does not guarantee admission into their post-bacc program. They have admissions committees separate from the undergraduate admissions committee. Furthermore, if you are currently a sophomore, that means you have 3 years to complete 4 courses. Why on Earth can't you complete them at your current institution?

I suppose I asked the question the wrong way. I will be applying to transfer to either CCNY or Hunter college as an undergraduate. The reason for this is because my family will be moving to New York, and another reason is that I read in an older post that it is usually advised and better that you do your post bac pre med study in the college where you did your undergraduate. And therefore, since in the end I will be going to a post bac pre med program in the mainland why not just transfer to a college in the mainland as an undergrad where they have a post bach program. I guess what my question was really which school should I consider transferring to (saying I get accepted to both) based on their post bac pre med program (better advising, better chances of getting to know professors, class size, etc)

But I am also now considering Stony Brooks University as another option.

Also, all the classes that I have taken thus far (30 something credits) have all been online through the University of Hawaii and therefore I've only been doing my liberal arts classes and have taken zero math and science classes geared towards my degree and have only completed 3 psychology classes.