Post-bacc...in math?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sutter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a 3.65 cGPA/sub 3.41 sGPA. I then took 32 credits of math and physics courses while I worked as a consultant my first year out of college. My company had a pretty sweet tuition reimbursement package, and I thought...why not? The college nearest to me offers more engineering/math degrees, and so had an abundance of evening math and physics courses. I always enjoyed math and physics, needed a way to raise my sGPA, so took a lot of them, and loved it. The courses range from College Algebra to Quantum Mechanics, I'm about 3 credits away from a degree in applied mathematics, something I hope to finish up sometime this year.

However, I understand this is not a conventional post-bacc. Will adcoms raise their eyebrows at this? Be bothered by this?

Members don't see this ad.

Will they be bothered by it? No. But GPA repair isn't just a numbers thing. You need to show a proficiency in biology and chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
bumpidity bump, hoping to get some more perspectives, maybe from adcoms? @Goro ?

I graduated with a 3.65 cGPA/sub 3.41 sGPA. I then took 32 credits of math and physics courses while I worked as a consultant my first year out of college. My company had a pretty sweet tuition reimbursement package, and I thought...why not? The college nearest to me offers more engineering/math degrees, and so had an abundance of evening math and physics courses. I always enjoyed math and physics, needed a way to raise my sGPA, so took a lot of them, and loved it. The courses range from College Algebra to Quantum Mechanics, I'm about 3 credits away from a degree in applied mathematics, something I hope to finish up sometime this year.

However, I understand this is not a conventional post-bacc. Will adcoms raise their eyebrows at this? Be bothered by this?

If I were an ADCOM, I would be impressed because you took courses 1) That were much tougher than a typical Post-Bac 2) Out of sheer motivation for those fields. Based on your earlier post in the WAMC section, I would be convinced of your passion for a career in healthcare.

Unfortunately, I'm not an ADCOM so lemme request the help of Dr. @gyngyn and Dr. @LizzyM

Will they be bothered by it? No. But GPA repair isn't just a numbers thing. You need to show a proficiency in biology and chemistry.

I'd argue that Quantum and Higher Math > Biology + Chemistry. If he could handle that load working full time, he'd certainly slaughter Cell Phys and PChem.