Post-Bacc or just Retake classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

TreeofRoses

Hi everybody! First off, please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, I do not know anyone who went this route personally so I may come off as slightly ignorant regarding this topic.

So I am about to graduate with a B.A. in Biology soon, and I know that I need to bring up my science GPA to apply to opto schools next cycle.

My question is: Are post bacc programs an official thing where I get a certificate of some sort after completeing courses? Do I HAVE to take the additional courses I do not want/need to take (that are not prereqs for opto school)? Or do we pick and choose what kind of post bacc courses we need to take?

I really don't understand the concept of post bacc programs. I've tried to research but my undergrad doesn't offer post bacc programs. Can I just retake some classes I did bad in and just add those to my application to bring up my GPA? Would that be okay?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Welllllllll, Whats is your current science and cumulative GPA?

I was interested in OD school about two years ago, and they told me that anything over a 3.2 and anything over a 300 on the OAT is basically a shoe in for programs.

There are so many OD schools opening up here that you might be able to sneak into one with under a 3.0.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everybody! First off, please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, I do not know anyone who went this route personally so I may come off as slightly ignorant regarding this topic.

So I am about to graduate with a B.A. in Biology soon, and I know that I need to bring up my science GPA to apply to opto schools next cycle.

My question is: Are post bacc programs an official thing where I get a certificate of some sort after completeing courses? Do I HAVE to take the additional courses I do not want/need to take (that are not prereqs for opto school)? Or do we pick and choose what kind of post bacc courses we need to take?

I really don't understand the concept of post bacc programs. I've tried to research but my undergrad doesn't offer post bacc programs. Can I just retake some classes I did bad in and just add those to my application to bring up my GPA? Would that be okay?

Thanks in advance!!

I also also very lost and want to learn more about post bacc for pre-opto ! @treesofroses did you find out what to do in the end!? I would greatly appreciate any advice/ knowledge ! thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like we're in the same situation haha. I've been wondering the same thing and from what I've found, you don't need to be in a post bacc program. You do need to take the pre-requisites specific to the schools you're applying to, in which case I believe they then look at your cumulative undergrad GPA, science undergrad GPA, and then your GPA of the pre-reqs you've taken after graduating. Everyones situation is different, in regards to why their GPA is what it is. For example, I've had to work 3 jobs and be fully independent in regards to finances throughout my whole undergrad career. I would do your best to do really well on your pre-reqs, maybe take only 1 or 2 at a time so you can focus on those and get A's, to show improvement and dedication. And do your best to raise your GPA until you graduate!

Welllllllll, Whats is your current science and cumulative GPA?

I was interested in OD school about two years ago, and they told me that anything over a 3.2 and anything over a 300 on the OAT is basically a shoe in for programs.

There are so many OD schools opening up here that you might be able to sneak into one with under a 3.0.

3.2 with 300+ on OAT is a shoe-in? Maybe for the new schools surely?

Averages of people who I know got in were 3.5+ with 320+ OAT. That was with taking upper division bio/chem/whatever.

Or are these numbers just a gross inflation of applicants vs matriculants?

Thanks in advance!!

OPTOMCAS has grade replacement. Lets say you did bad in chem/ochem. If you retake it at the same institution for a better grade, the better grade stands.

If you retake it at a different institution, the better grade is averaged with your old grade.

As for post-bac: At my university, you go to an academic advisor (or just an advisor in your bio department) and tell them the situation. Post-bac courses are usually upper division sciences (not undergrad or prerequisites) that you take and ace (look for 3.5+) to prove to adcoms you can handle the load at a graduate level to make up for your poor undergrad performance.

The courses are usually very similar to what you'd see in opto/professional health school. Things such as: Neurochem, neuroanatomy, adv cell phys, immuno, adv. anatomy, pharmacology, biochem, virology

Upon completion, you receive a certificate of achievement.

So you have 2 choices (or more):

1- Retake courses you did bad in at the same institution for a better grade (shoot for As)
2- Do a post-bac and perform well

you retake it at a different institution, the better grade is averaged with your old grade.
8.gif

Post-Baccalaureate programs are self-paced/monitored and can be official. When I say it can be official, what I mean is that you can either finish the unit requirements for the certificate, or just take the classes you need and not get the certificate.

For example at Cal State, East Bay - as an academic enhancer student - you just need 48 units to get the certificate. If you only need 30 units of classes to raise your GPA/meet prerequisites then you DO NOT have to take additional courses that you do not need/want. Also, at CSUEB, you can choose the classes you want to take.

To re-iterate, the post-bacc program is self-paced and you are the one who decides if you need/want the certificate, and which classes to take. When I did the post-bacc program, the counselors recommended only retaking a class if you had below a C. For courses that I did receive a C in (Genetics), the counselors recommended that I took something else that shows that I did have the Genetics background, so I took Genetic analysis and got an A.
As someone has mentioned, if you decide to retake a course at a different university, the grade is Averaged.

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks everyone for the replies! It was really helpful! :)