Post Bacc or Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Which do medical school's prefer/help you out more to get in, a post bacc or a masters in medical science or a master's program that is designed to help pre-med students? For example, Master of Medical Science at UNT Health center. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told by many advisors/people in med admissions that sometimes SMPs can hurt more then help your application - so be wary in how well you think you can perform. If you're choosing to do it because you have a "low" GPA, then you have to be sure you can perform very well, as having a B average or something of that sort in an SMP will not help your application and will probably hurt it instead (or so I've been warned).

I had a 35 MCAT, 3.5 GPA (250 clinical hours, 2000 research experience, 500 volunteering, 1500 employment) and chose to pursue a Master's thesis program in the year between graduating undergrad and hopefully entering med school.