Post bacc or other options moving forward - Need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inthecloudz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice about the next steps I should take. I'm not sure if I should look at a post bacc or take another approach. If this isn't the right place to post this, please let me know and I will delete it or contact a moderator to delete!

Here is my situation:
I wasn't very focused going into my undergrad. My freshman year was especially bad and I decided to retake 4 courses from my freshman year because I got Cs and Ds in them. From my sophomore year on, I did better, but still not great. I eventually decided to explore other fields and withdrew from Orgo 2 towards the end of my junior year.

I finished my undergrad with a 3.3 overall GPA and with a science GPA of around 2.9. I did attend a top 15 ranked undegrad university, but I don't think that really helps things much with a low GPA.

I didn't take all the pre-reqs, but here are the ones I took and my grades:
Chem 1: C+
Chem 1 (retake): B
Chem 2: D+
Chem 2 (retake): A-
Physics 1: B
Physics 2: B+
Orgo 1: B-
Orgo 2: W

-I was not involved in any research.
-I did not do any volunteering in a hospital during my undergrad. I did do volunteering in tutoring, classroom teaching, and community outreach throughout my undergrad.
-I was involved in several extra-curricular activities.
-I have not taken the MCAT.
-I graduated in 2016 am currently 23.
-Since then I have been working at a tech company (to pay off loans, etc.). I enjoy it, but my mind keeps coming back to medicine.

tl;dr:
I have a low GPA and have taken (and retaken) some pre-reqs. Would you recommend looking into in my situation? Should I try to finish my pre-reqs or look at a full post bacc program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are open to DO, then continue to go the DIY route by signing up at a CC or local university for non-science pre-reqs and upper level science courses to get that sGPA above a 3.0, shoot 510+ on the MCAT, start clinical-volunteering involving active patient contact (ER, hospice, etc), get at least 50 hours of primary care shadowing with DO/MD.

If you are gunning for MD, then you need to investigate formal SMPs with a guarantee interview along with MCAT, clinical volunteering, shadowing as stated above.

GL!!

See graphic in next post for selection criteria for MD schools. Can't edit in graphic on this post....

upload_2017-11-30_14-39-47.png

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are open to DO, then continue to go the DIY route by signing up at a CC or local university for non-science pre-reqs and upper level science courses to get that sGPA above a 3.0, shoot 510+ on the MCAT, start clinical-volunteering involving active patient contact (ER, hospice, etc), get at least 50 hours of primary care shadowing with DO/MD.

If you are gunning for MD, then you need to investigate formal SMPs with a guarantee interview along with MCAT, clinical volunteering, shadowing as stated above.

GL!!

See graphic in next post for selection criteria for MD schools. Can't edit in graphic on this post....

Thank you! I am definitely open to DO. But, in your opinion, would going the DIY route mean that I have little to no chance for MD?

Thank you! I am definitely open to DO. But, in your opinion, would going the DIY route mean that I have little to no chance for MD?

Not necessarily. Some factors to consider.

1) It's the math. How many hours do you have so far? I believe the average competitive sGAP of applicants nationwide is around 3.6-3.7. Do your own calculations and project how many hours you will need and the cost of DIY classes to get your sGPA up to be competitive.

EDIT: AMCAS separates post-bacc grades from undergraduate grades. So significant hours in a post-bacc at 3.9+ combined with strong MCAT/ECs will show schools that reward reinvention (@Goro) that you are a different student and can handle medical school.

2) Your state of residence. States with public schools will favor their own residents. So if you can do the DIY post-bacc and pull your cGPA and sGPA up, then with a strong MCAT score and quality ECs, you will have a shot. Investigate your state schools' stats/metric by buying MSAR to determine if that is feasible.

3) If both #1 and #2 are good to go, then you will need patience. It will take a minimum 2-3 years. But take heart that age is not an issue.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Some factors to consider.

1) It's the math. How many hours do you have so far? I believe the average competitive sGAP of applicants nationwide is around 3.6-3.7. Do your own calculations and project how many hours you will need and the cost of DIY classes to get your sGPA up to be competitive.

EDIT: AMCAS separates post-bacc grades from undergraduate grades. So significant hours in a post-bacc at 3.9+ combined with strong MCAT/ECs will show schools that reward reinvention (@Goro) that you are a different student and can handle medical school.

2) Your state of residence. States with public schools will favor their own residents. So if you can do the DIY post-bacc and pull your cGPA and sGPA up, then with a strong MCAT score and quality ECs, you will have a shot. Investigate your state schools' stats/metric by buying MSAR to determine if that is feasible.

3) If both #1 and #2 are good to go, then you will need patience. It will take a minimum 2-3 years. But take heart that age is not an issue.

1) I calculated my BCPM GPA and it is currently just under 3.0 w/ 9 courses and 32 hours (counting lab hours). So for the DIY option you would suggest another 9-10 courses with very good grades?

Ok, I will message Goro about possible post bacc's and schools that reward reinvention. AMCAS won't separate grades for DIY I'm guessing?

2) My state's public school's stats seem really favorable to in-state students. I'll also talk to their admissions about how they would look at a post bacc.

Last edited:
1) I calculated my BCPM GPA and it is currently just under 3.0 w/ 9 courses and 32 hours (counting lab hours). So for the DIY option you would suggest another 9-10 courses with very good grades?

Ok, I will message Goro about possible post bacc's and schools that reward reinvention. AMCAS won't separate grades for DIY I'm guessing?

2) My state's public school's stats seem really favorable to in-state students. I'll also talk to their admissions about how they would look at a post bacc.

Yeah, 9-10 courses with solid A's and maybe only one B might be enough to show your state school that you are a different student and can handle medical school. But the courses have to be mostly if not all upper division science courses.

On AMCAS, when you enter the postbacc courses into the system, you will need to designate it as a PB or postbacc, and on the finally chart listing rows of GPA from your freshman, sophomore, etc, postbacc GPA will have its own row.

Do a search on SDN with "reinvention" and threads should come up where Goro has provided a list of AMCAS schools that reward reinvention.

GL!!!