Post-Bacc/SMP for 3.17 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgd5054

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current senior at Penn State, struggles a bit during the past three years. MY sGPA is 3.17 and cGPA is 3.13. I will be graduating with a biology degree in May and hopefully my sGPA will be 3.3 if I continue to ace my courses. This being said. I knew my GPA was always low so I never bothered to take the MCATs. I am looking into Post-Bacc and SMP programs to rely enhance my resume. I have a pharmaceutical internship on my resume and am currently getting volunteering/shadowing hours now.

From anyones past experience which route should I try and go, post-bacc or smp, it truly is my dream to attend medical school and I am now committed to do whatever it takes after hitting a slump in undergrad. I am really confused and stressed out about what to do next fall.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

if you are interested in DO, I would recommend a post-bac where you retake all your undergrad classes where you received C/D/F grades since AACOMAS does grade replacement. This is your quickest and cheapest path. You have to also shadow a DO and receive a DO letter of recommendation. Aim for a MCAT score above 27 since 27 is the average for DO matriculants.

If you are interested in MD, make sure your sGPA is 3.3 by the time you graduate. Then join a high linkage SMP like Rosalind Franklin and do really well in it. Score above 32 on the MCAT to make up for your low GPA since AMCAS does not do grade replacement so no point retaking undergrad classes if you're interested in MD only. Some posters here may recommend you to do post-bacc and then SMP for MD but I don't think it's necessary.

If you're boning for the MD degree, the ideal path will be an SMP, preferably one given at a medical school. that's your back door in.

You'll need to ace the MCAT as well.

I am a current senior at Penn State, struggles a bit during the past three years. MY sGPA is 3.17 and cGPA is 3.13. I will be graduating with a biology degree in May and hopefully my sGPA will be 3.3 if I continue to ace my courses. This being said. I knew my GPA was always low so I never bothered to take the MCATs. I am looking into Post-Bacc and SMP programs to rely enhance my resume. I have a pharmaceutical internship on my resume and am currently getting volunteering/shadowing hours now.

From anyones past experience which route should I try and go, post-bacc or smp, it truly is my dream to attend medical school and I am now committed to do whatever it takes after hitting a slump in undergrad. I am really confused and stressed out about what to do next fall.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!!