Post Bachelor Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Econ2auD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've learned a bunch from this site already but i do have one of those neurotic admissions questions. Sorry:oops:

I really want to enroll in a post bachelor program for non comm disorder majors who want to apply to SLP or auD programs. I am looking for feedback to make sure I'm not wasting time and money.

I have a background in economics (B.A. & M.A.) and my undergraduate grades are piss poor (2.65 GPA). Although i do have a 3.0+ GPA for the ASHA pre-req courses. However, i have a 4.0 GPA for my M.A. economics degree. Will this help with admissions?

I want to do this but if i do not have a realistic chance at admittance to a graduate auD program then i probably shouldn't spend $10k to try.

Also, a high GRE I'm sure would help tilt an apprehensive adcomm.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, welcome! Glad to have some more fresh blood. ;)

It sounds like your GPA has had an upward trend. That's good. I have kind of the same situation, where for 18 months a panic disorder destroyed my grades. Luckily, my GPA within the department is much better. I would be up front with it in your essay and explain why your GPA was poor and what changed that resulted in your higher GPA later.

Yes, high GRE scores will definitely help counteract your GPA. I highly recommend reading through a couple prep books (I bought used ones from 2005 and 2008, I think. you don't need a brand new set) and also read through on www.ets.org/gre about what graders look for in an essay. Also keep in mind that all your scores from the last 5 years appear on the score report when it gets sent to the university.

With a history like yours, you may not get into your dream school, but definitely if you strengthen your application in ways other than GPA, you have a real chance of attending an AuD program. I'd advise applying to several programs, that way you have a much better chance of going to one of them.

Good luck! I feel your pain. Don't give up. :)
Ashley

Hello everyone!

I've learned a bunch from this site already but i do have one of those neurotic admissions questions. Sorry:oops:

I really want to enroll in a post bachelor program for non comm disorder majors who want to apply to SLP or auD programs. I am looking for feedback to make sure I'm not wasting time and money.

I have a background in economics (B.A. & M.A.) and my undergraduate grades are piss poor (2.65 GPA). Although i do have a 3.0+ GPA for the ASHA pre-req courses. However, i have a 4.0 GPA for my M.A. economics degree. Will this help with admissions?

I want to do this but if i do not have a realistic chance at admittance to a graduate auD program then i probably shouldn't spend $10k to try.

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have heard from a few people that i should just go for the post bachelor program and see what happens. Shadowing an audiologist i think would also be of great help.

As far as the GRE, for us economics dorks anything below a 700Q and 700V is considered a no go for graduate school. From what i've heard a 1200+ score would really help me stand out as most average around the 1000's.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as the GRE, for us economics dorks anything below a 700Q and 700V is considered a no go for graduate school. From what i've heard a 1200+ score would really help me stand out as most average around the 1000's.

Wowza. Yes. 1200+ score is great! That will definitely help you.

Most programs either have posted or readily available average GRE scores of accepted applicants. You might check with each school you're interested in, and just see what kind of GRE scores they require. (I usually just send a quick email and ask what the mean and range of accepted applicants' scores were. They've always been happy to disclose.) It won't altogether negate your GPA but it will definitely do you justice!

Also, I just want to restate how important it is to not let your GPA speak for itself. Like I said, I had a difficult 18-month struggle with a panic disorder (arachnophobia, to be precise), and my personal statement highlights that time in my life because it was what made me realize I wanted to be a lifelong learner. If you can twist your negative into a positive, do that.

Last edited:
Honestly, i got into grad school with a GRE score of 860 and a gpa of 2.9. I was accepted into 3 programs. I think you definitely stand a chance. I was stressing so bad about not getting in because everyone made it seem like you had to have a high gpa and GRE scores but there are plenty of schools that accept lower credentials.

One thing I found helpful was looking at older post. I came across an AuD applicant who admitted having a 2.7 gpa and he listed all the programs he got into. I think he got into Texas Tech and UAMS (sp?). I used those as back up schools in case I had to reapply the following year but never had to thankfully. Really use ASHA edfind when researching programs because they show the previous years applicants statistics and this is how I really narrowed down my search. I think there is a school in Louisiana as well that is really easy to get into but i can't think of the name.

AT Still requested an interview from me before they even got my GRE scores. They also have rolling admissions so they aren't as competitive as alot of other schools because they state on their website that they accept applicants until all spots are filled. There minimum gpa requirement however is a 2.75 so I'm not sure if they would offer you conditional admissions or not. I would call or write them, they are pretty good at getting back to you fast. i think if all else fails they would be a good back up school to look into, but I'm sure you will get in somewhere.
:)

I am pretty sure that most of high ranked programs including Vandy, Northwestern, Iowa, Washington, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Indiana etc.... request higher grade and GRE score like 3.5 GPA with 1200 GRE. It is because they have higher reputation and name value for their graduate programs compared to other schools.

I am pretty sure that most of high ranked programs including Vandy, Northwestern, Iowa, Washington, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Indiana etc.... request higher grade and GRE score like 3.5 GPA with 1200 GRE. It is because they have higher reputation and name value for their graduate programs compared to other schools.

Duh...the posters concern is that they don't have the credentials to get into "a" school so I provided options that they would have a better chance getting into. If you have a 2.65 gpa Vanderbilt, and Northwestern probably aren't going to be viable options. Schools like AT Still, Nova, Texas Tech aren't as competitive and are more forgiving, therefore I listed them as possible choices for considerations where you don't need a high 1200 GRE score.

I really don't think the name of the school matters anyway for rehabilitative sciences, I have actually had professors encourage students to always select the cheapest option. My sister is an SLP from University of Cincinnati, she has coworkers from a variety of different schools including Boston University. Guess what? They are doing the exact same job for the exact same pay. Only difference is one has more debt than the other :eek:. In some fields like Law or business the name can be very important, in health...not so much, unless maybe if your going to be a surgeon or a physician possibly. I myself will be attending school to be an OT (I applied to 4 different fields of study), I was considered Audiology strongly but I decided against it in the end. I do however believe that the original poster can probably get into a school somewhere, prob not Northwestern, but if Audiology is a dream of theirs it is definitely possible.

Duh...the posters concern is that they don't have the credentials to get into "a" school so I provided options that they would have a better chance getting into. If you have a 2.65 gpa Vanderbilt, and Northwestern probably aren't going to be viable options. Schools like AT Still, Nova, Texas Tech aren't as competitive and are more forgiving, therefore I listed them as possible choices for considerations where you don't need a high 1200 GRE score.

I really don't think the name of the school matters anyway for rehabilitative sciences, I have actually had professors encourage students to always select the cheapest option. My sister is an SLP from University of Cincinnati, she has coworkers from a variety of different schools including Boston University. Guess what? They are doing the exact same job for the exact same pay. Only difference is one has more debt than the other :eek:. In some fields like Law or business the name can be very important, in health...not so much, unless maybe if your going to be a surgeon or a physician possibly. I myself will be attending school to be an OT (I applied to 4 different fields of study), I was considered Audiology strongly but I decided against it in the end. I do however believe that the original poster can probably get into a school somewhere, prob not Northwestern, but if Audiology is a dream of theirs it is definitely possible.

Thanks for all the positive words!

My intention is not to apply to the top schools. The school i want to go to is Wayne State in Detroit Michigan. I live 20 miles away and my family is in Michigan so that is my #1. Also Wayne State is where i will be taking the 35 credit post bachelor program. From the looks of it, Wayne isn't a top tier school like the schools mentioned above. I wouldn't mind Nova either, nice location.

Honestly, i got into grad school with a GRE score of 860 and a gpa of 2.9. I was accepted into 3 programs. I think you definitely stand a chance. I was stressing so bad about not getting in because everyone made it seem like you had to have a high gpa and GRE scores but there are plenty of schools that accept lower credentials.

One thing I found helpful was looking at older post. I came across an AuD applicant who admitted having a 2.7 gpa and he listed all the programs he got into. I think he got into Texas Tech and UAMS (sp?). I used those as back up schools in case I had to reapply the following year but never had to thankfully. Really use ASHA edfind when researching programs because they show the previous years applicants statistics and this is how I really narrowed down my search. I think there is a school in Louisiana as well that is really easy to get into but i can't think of the name.

AT Still requested an interview from me before they even got my GRE scores. They also have rolling admissions so they aren't as competitive as alot of other schools because they state on their website that they accept applicants until all spots are filled. There minimum gpa requirement however is a 2.75 so I'm not sure if they would offer you conditional admissions or not. I would call or write them, they are pretty good at getting back to you fast. i think if all else fails they would be a good back up school to look into, but I'm sure you will get in somewhere.
:)

Hey Goofygirl.. I am new to the forums and after reading most of the posts I was getting pretty discouraged about applying to AuD in the states....Do you know who posted about the 2.75 GPA? I am afraid I am in a similar sort of position..
My 4 years gpa is 2.75
Last 2 years is about 3.3
I will be writing GRE in a couple of weeks
I have good recommendations

However, I am applying from Canada and I am really not sure where I should apply to get in. I already know I want to stay away from the big names because it is expensive to apply... I just want to get in "a" program as well. Which schools do you (or anyone else) suggest?

Thanks a bunch!

Econ2aud -

I live just outside of Detroit, literally, in Grosse Pointe. I shadow at Henry Ford once a week in the ENT/Audiology department, and a few of the staff members there are professors at Wayne. One told me that you definitely want to have a high undergraduate GPA. While they have problems filling spots because not many out of state students are dying to move to Detroit, they are more likely to have empty spots than to accept lower GPAs. However, since you have your masters, I definitely don't think you would have an issue getting in as I feel that would trump a poor undergrad record. WSU requires a 1000 GRE score as well.

Have you already signed up to do your post-bach there? If not, look into some of the online programs. Utah State for example has a really great post-bach program that is WAY cheaper than Wayne.

Also, St. John's Hospital (Moross location) has a newborn hearing screening program that is solely run by volunteers. Check into something like that as it will look great on an application.

And I wouldn't worry at all! Having a graduate degree is definitely going to set you apart from the majority of the applicants! Good luck!

Hello everyone!

Thanks

There aren't any formal post-baccalaureate communication sciences and disorders programs. So, your options would be to either get a second Bachelor's degree in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology or you could take the necessary pre-requisite classes on your own. Good luck!

There aren't any formal post-baccalaureate communication sciences and disorders programs. So, your options would be to either get a second Bachelor's degree in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology or you could take the necessary pre-requisite classes on your own. Good luck!

Actually, EarDoc6, if you don't mind me correcting you. There are a few CD programs that offer post-bacc education across the country, but there aren't many. My university offers that option and so does a few other programs around my location. You just need to contact programs and see if there's even room for a post-bacc.

Last edited:
Actually, EarDoc6, if you don't mind me correcting you. There are a few CD programs that offer post-bacc education across the country, but there aren't many. My university offers that option and so does a few other programs around my location. You just need to contact programs and see if there's even room for a post-bacc.

I agree! There's something through Idaho State University called "Pre-Professional" programs, wherein students get their prerequisites for graduate school. It's not as good as an entire degree in communication sciences, but it's sufficient for application to the graduate program in speech-language pathology or audiology.

The lower ranking school accept with lower test scores and GPA but you need a strong personal statement and recommendation as well as volunteer. A student can spend their entire undergrad studying get straight A's but have no interpersonal communication skills, in a field like this you need that. Many schools look at the person overall and there are many circumstances why a GPA is low that they take into consideration. Many schools accept on a conditional basis and you prove yourself in the first semester. What I've learned getting in is easy staying in is harder. After two C's your out. Depending on where you live I would say look into Nova, ISU where I go and they have one of the strongest clinical programs i've seen. Already 5wks in and I'm seeing patients on my own, writing reports, fixing hearing aids and so on. I have a decent GPA but not as strong GRE and It turned out fine for me. Also some schools don't require GRE like Nebraska so look into those

what the **** is wrong with tthe field here.., 860 GRE???? 2.5 GPAA and you get to be a DOCTOR.. freaking annoying to see such pathetic good for nothing folks getting an Aud degree
what a shame for the field..
useless dumb folks like you drag the entire profession down.. as it is its a DOG job.. abolish Aud.. Give the4 techs better job.. bunch of jokers

what the **** is wrong with tthe field here.., 860 GRE???? 2.5 GPAA and you get to be a DOCTOR.. freaking annoying to see such pathetic good for nothing folks getting an Aud degree
what a shame for the field..
useless dumb folks like you drag the entire profession down.. as it is its a DOG job.. abolish Aud.. Give the4 techs better job.. bunch of jokers

Troll_Spary_max192w.JPG