Post-doc needed for lisencure in PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phipps

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All:

I have a "stupid" question...; would anyone happen to know whether I need a post-doc for PA, in order to fulfill license requirements in the state of PA? Or, knows where to look? I don't seem to find any info in that one.

Thanks a bunch! Ms. Phipps

Members don't see this ad.

Got it!! Thanks. That was not easy to find. I know it sounds like a joke...:diebanana:

So, the law states:

"An applicant shall complete 1 year of acceptable postdoctoral supervised experience." I assume that does not presume it has to be an official post-doc position but a position that meets criteria described for a specific state? The reason I started thinking about it was that I initially applied to official post-doc positions only and slowed discovered that others in PA apply to jobs! Meaning a secure position and more pay right after internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it!! Thanks. That was not easy to find. I know it sounds like a joke...:diebanana:

So, the law states:

"An applicant shall complete 1 year of acceptable postdoctoral supervised experience." I assume that does not presume it has to be an official post-doc position but a position that meets criteria described for a specific state? The reason I started thinking about it was that I initially applied to official post-doc positions only and slowed discovered that others in PA apply to jobs! Meaning a secure position and more pay right after internship.
The state licensing board should define its terms; if not, definitely email them. One note with regards to pay, often non-"official" post-doc jobs pay considerably less than what a licensed/fully license-eligible person would get for the same position.

Reactions: 1 user
The state licensing board should define its terms; if not, definitely email them. One note with regards to pay, often non-"official" post-doc jobs pay considerably less than what a licensed/fully license-eligible person would get for the same position.

This. The statue(s) should specify what's required, but if they don't, emailing the board is usually the best way to go. You could also take a look at the licensing forms themselves. The ones meant for supervisors of postdoctoral hours should have a variety of questions related to whether or not the particulars were met (e.g., "did the applicant receive X number of supervision hours per week; did the applicant complete at least XXX number of face-to-face patient care hours in the course of the year;" etc.).

I think this is highly variable. Sometimes for doing an "unofficial" postdoc you'll get ripped off in the long run, but that's not always the case.