Post Doc not required in my state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychologyToday1984

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My state does not require a post doc. If i get licensed and then decide to move to state that requires post-doc hours, what would happen? Could I get those hours somehow later?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You could pay for supervision, sure. Though first it would be worth checking whether you could ever become licensed without supervised postdoc hours in a state that typically requires them. If you've been in practice for a certain number of years it might be less of an issue in some states. If your state has reciprocity agreements with other states that could be an option. Some states also relax the requirements if you are ABPP-boarded. It really depends on the state.

Reactions: 1 users
My state does not require a post doc. If i get licensed and then decide to move to state that requires post-doc hours, what would happen? Could I get those hours somehow later?
Thank you!

The simple answer is you may not be eligible for licensure in said state. Although many of these states have clauses that will grant license for someone who has been practicing (in another state) without sanction for 10 years or more

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I'm in a similar situation. Got licensed last year in a state that allowed me to use my huge amount of pre-doc hours to waive the need for a postdoc. However, I made arrangements with my job to make sure I still got those hours, and got them signed off on and submitted. As a national register member, I have the necessary hours now banked if/when I change states to work.

In sum, if youre gonna do this, protect yourself by getting 1900 hours of postdoc supervision anyways, and get it banked somewhere so can you can always access it. I enjoy the national register, but I think ASBPP has a similar deal as well as the CPQ that you can get a little later in your career (3-5 years IIRC) that will help you transition to other states later.

OP, I'm in a similar situation. Got licensed last year in a state that allowed me to use my huge amount of pre-doc hours to waive the need for a postdoc. However, I made arrangements with my job to make sure I still got those hours, and got them signed off on and submitted. As a national register member, I have the necessary hours now banked if/when I change states to work.

In sum, if youre gonna do this, protect yourself by getting 1900 hours of postdoc supervision anyways, and get it banked somewhere so can you can always access it. I enjoy the national register, but I think ASBPP has a similar deal as well as the CPQ that you can get a little later in your career (3-5 years IIRC) that will help you transition to other states later.

I would second this recommendation (or however many hours it is you might need in the state in which you might want to be licensed). It's easier to get it now and not need it than to have to hunt it down later while being unlicensed. I believe there are some states that place a cap on how far out from obtaining your degree you can be before the hours no longer count (e.g., must be obtained within the first two years), which would be another reason for just going ahead and getting the supervision now.

I would second this recommendation (or however many hours it is you might need in the state in which you might want to be licensed). It's easier to get it now and not need it than to have to hunt it down later while being unlicensed. I believe there are some states that place a cap on how far out from obtaining your degree you can be before the hours no longer count (e.g., must be obtained within the first two years), which would be another reason for just going ahead and getting the supervision now.
thats why I recommended 1900. Some states require less, but few if any require more than that. National Register only requires 1500, but I don't know if that'll fly if you try going to a state that needs 1900, for example.

A pragmatic psychologist will make life choices that are based on maximizing options for the LONG-TERM (insert echo/reverb about here). Basing the decision of "postdoc yes / postdoc no" on the current requirements of one's preferred-state-at-the moment is, frankly, short-sighted. While one might think that one KNOWS the state in which one will live-work-retire-die... one most certainly DOES NOT and CANNOT know this. Spouses get high-paying dream-jobs in other states; one might be offered one's own dream job with more money elsewhere; one might realize that one's a priori preferred state turns out to be nightmare. And so forth. This becomes even more relevant if one went to an unfunded program and has mountains of student loan debt. One would not be able to legitimately defer student loan repayments while pursuing a cobbled-together "postdoc" experience in which one was also paying for the supervision. (Sidebar: Some state psychology boards actually forbid paying for one's own supervision). Use those frontal lobes, and think about the future implications of short-term choices.