Post-grad options with CASAC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suzanne51

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

To update briefly, I've exhausted all other options and must remain within my current program due to financial issues related to starting/switching to anything else. I've just finished my first year in the MA General Psychology program (initially with intentions of doing a thesis to apply to a doctoral program) but can no longer do that. My two remaining options are a certificate in Human Resources or a CASAC-T (substance abuse counselor).

I've chosen the CASAC track because it will at least allow me to work in some sort of clinical setting, but this is definitely not my ideal job (not to mention the salary). I'd like to do something... anything... that is financially reasonable and will give me extra credentials to move up within my position or be qualified to work in multiple areas. Maybe a certificate of some kind?

So, my question is, what additional education can I receive post-masters that will work well with the CASAC degree in the immediate future but allow me to pursue other options down the road?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there Suzanne :)

These kind of questions are kinda hard to answer without knowing what area of the country you are in. In my state, I believe the equivalent license is called the CADC at the bachelor's level and an LADC at the master's level. Again, I believe I'm referring to the same thing :) Anyway, in my area CADCs are very limited as to what they can do, and where they can work. The only thing you'd be able to do is work in substance abuse counseling. Many friends advised against getting an LADC as it is way more limited in scope than, say an LCSW or LPC.

You can receive all kinds of additional education post-master's, but I'm not sure what you are looking for. And do you plan to finish your master's? Does your master's not lead to any kind of licensure? If you are planning on leaving your master's, what do you gain from NOT finishing your master's? I don't mean to be nosy, it's just hard to answer your question of "what should I do next?" without knowing what you are looking for.

The issue is that I went for my MA in General Psych intending to work on a thesis and apply to a doctoral program. Long story short, I can no longer afford to do that or even switch to another program... I'm stuck in this one, and I never had a back-up plan because I was hellbent on becoming a psychologist. My only option at the moment is to graduate with the CASAC, but I will not be satisfied with that as my only that credential, so I'm looking for other ways I can advance my career without needing a doctorate or a second MA yet. The only thing I can think of is a certificate of some kind :(

I live on Long Island (New York) and want to be a psychologist, but with that currently unattainable I'm just looking for any other way I can move up the psychological career ladder by starting with a CASAC. I guess what I mean is... when someone begins their career with this background (MA in General Psych and a CASAC), what additional training can they receive that would improve their career?

So I'm guessing the certificates are cheaper than an additional masters? Or is time an issue as well?

The reason I bring up this point is because I'd hate to see you spend a ton o' money on a bunch of certificates when you could have just paid for another masters and come out cheaper?

If time is an issue as well, the CADC Now, then you could take the additional courses to apply to the masters level LADC (or whatever it may called in your state) later. Then when you are in a position you can finish a counseling degree of your choice. You can work for several years inbetween to pay for the next step?

I happen to catch some of your other posts, and I do agree OT sounds more like your thing. Spend some time in the field with your CADC and see how it fits.

I'm just not a super big fan of certificates in general, there are GREAT programs out there. My main advice is to put that end goal in mind and then work out a path to there. Hopefully someone with experience with other related fields will chime in.