Post-II rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burneracc

Reaction score
Hey all, just a general question. How common do post-II rejections tend to be? I have been fortunate enough to have quite a few interviews, but have only heard news back from a few so far which have been holds or direct rejections. I was under the impression that post-interview direct rejections were quite rare and am beginning to think there may be something in my app/ interview skills that is throwing up a red flag, causing me to worry deeply about the eventual results of my other interviews. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, sorry this is probably quite neurotic, just feeling pretty beat down by the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Look through the school-specific threads and you’ll see that there are some for each school. The post-interview rejection isn’t necessarily reflection of your character or even of your fit for medicine.. It‘s simply a determination by the ADCOMs that you’re not a good fit for their program at this time. It could be maturity, it could be mission-alignment… who knows.

Holds aren’t a bad thing though. Many schools retain up to half of their slots until the end of their interview season, only offering initial slots to the best-qualified candidates.

Yeah, you’re being a little neurotic. Nobody ever gets accepted everywhere they apply. Relax, there’s a lot of time left in the admissions season, and the fact that you‘ve had quite a few interviews says that your application likely isn’t a complete wash. If you have further interviews later this winter, focus on doing well on those. If not, there’s not a lot you can do at this point except wait for the rest of the decisions and work on improving your application for next year. For now, relax and enjoy your holiday season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, just a general question. How common do post-II rejections tend to be? I have been fortunate enough to have quite a few interviews, but have only heard news back from a few so far which have been holds or direct rejections. I was under the impression that post-interview direct rejections were quite rare and am beginning to think there may be something in my app/ interview skills that is throwing up a red flag, causing me to worry deeply about the eventual results of my other interviews. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, sorry this is probably quite neurotic, just feeling pretty beat down by the cycle.
Looking through your previous posts, I don’t see a WAMC so that makes it difficult for even the experts to comment on your situation. Having an LM of 80+ is great and all, but several of the places you’ve reported R’s from are either extremely competitive or have a specific mission focus (state, underserved/rural communities, et cetera).Your ECs might be one of the things contributing to your slow progress so far. If your PS and ECs don’t support reaching to underserved communities, this would impact many schools where this is a mission focus, such as western/mountain state schools with low populations outside of specific areas. Likewise, if you lack enough research focus, several of the T20 schools will balk at you (Harvard, Yale, John’s Hopkins, for example).

Just some thoughts from another current applicant.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
It honestly depends on the school and your app. If you’re a borderline applicant interviewing at very competitive schools, you could be a good interviewer but still not end up getting in. If you’re one of those 105+ WARS people and get almost all rejections, that could point to red flags. The fact you at least have some holds tells me you’re probably not a horrible interviewer (maybe just not an amazing one though), but this is without seeing the rest of your app

• Care
Reactions: 1 users