Post Interview Thank you notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I was wondering what the general consensus is on sending thank you notes after an interview. I know sending one is a definite yes - my main question is: does every interviewer get a thank you note or do you just send one? and if only one, who is it addressed to?

Thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I'd send one to everybody. It can't hurt, and the only downside is that you have to write something a little different in each one (that, and postage). ;)

FWIW, when I was a resident and received a personal thank-you note from somebody I'd interviewed, it made a big positive impression...because most people don't do it.

And when we were all sitting around at match time going through applicants' files, a big folder full of thank-you notes definitely scored points.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, I really appreciate your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
In today's video age, I think thank you notes are especially important when your interviewers are of the "older" generation before email became the norm. It is a lost art and definitely is important to stand out. Be sure they are individualized and addressed specifically to each person who interviewed you.

In today's video age, I think thank you notes are especially important when your interviewers are of the "older" generation before email became the norm. It is a lost art and definitely is important to stand out. Be sure they are individualized and addressed specifically to each person who interviewed you.
Also send one to the program coordinator (or whoever arranged the details of the interview).

One director told me last month that some residency did a study a year or so ago on that.. there was NO advantage of sending them. If they wanted you, the thank you note didn't matter. Think about it.. do doctors write prescriptions of a certain drug because the rep bought lunch, etc? NO.. and they aren't going to choose you because you sent them a hand written note. That is my opinion.

One director told me last month that some residency did a study a year or so ago on that.. there was NO advantage of sending them. If they wanted you, the thank you note didn't matter. Think about it.. do doctors write prescriptions of a certain drug because the rep bought lunch, etc? NO.. and they aren't going to choose you because you sent them a hand written note. That is my opinion.

Eh, it may not make or break you, but it's kind of just the nice thing to do. I was taught to always do this growing up.

Uhh, the evidence says that yes, in fact, doctors do write drugs more often after the drug reps visit.

Plus, consider a situation where you and another candidate are ranked pretty much the same. You hand write thank you notes, the other person doesn't. I can promise you, at least in my part of the world, that you're going to be ranked above that other person. It won't change you from being ranked 45th to being ranked 1st, but it might get you bumped up a spot or two which might be all you need.

In that case, send the director a box of pens with your name and a key chain hand gel with your initials as a logo.

Reactions: 1 user