post-interview timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak47

flossy flossy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused as to the timeline of the application process.
So I understand that people interview basically from August til March or whatever.

But Dec 1 is the first day you can get a yay or nay.
So suppose on Dec 1 - you get 2 acceptances.
Then you interview some more and get a few more acceptances in February or whatever.

Is there a big date where everyone has to make a final decision about where they are attending? Thanks! Sorry for the stupid question.

Members don't see this ad.

I think if school X gives you an acceptance Dec. 1st, it would also say that you need to make a decision and put down a deposit of X$ to save your position at their school within the next 45 days or so... (altho the # of days allowed for you to make a decision dwindles as you get closer to the end of the cycle)

However, if you have money to throw around and you put down a deposit at like 4 schools... I think AADSAS informs schools that you'e double, triple, or quadruple deposited at schools X, Y, and Z sometime in ___?___ - sorry i forget this date.. maybe someone else can fill us in?

You're correct. However, let's worry about that dates after we get the charming letter. (Jan 15)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think AADSAS informs schools that you'e double, triple, or quadruple deposited at schools X, Y, and Z sometime in ___?___ - sorry i forget this date.. maybe someone else can fill us in?

You can fill in the blank with "May 1."

by the way, how much are the deposits? is $500 the right number? If so, then that'll definitely rip a new one especially for those who get multiple acceptances and can't decide by the due date. Why $500 for dental school when I believe it's only $100 for med?

deposit depends on schools
i really suggest everyone to buy ADEA's guide to dental schools

i believe texas schools are like 25 dollars (on top of my head)

by the way, how much are the deposits? is $500 the right number? If so, then that'll definitely rip a new one especially for those who get multiple acceptances and can't decide by the due date. Why $500 for dental school when I believe it's only $100 for med?

As the previous posters said, the amount varies by school but can range from a couple hundred to a grand.

For me, some wanted graduated deposits (ie. $500 immediately, $500 in a few months, and then another payment over the summer).

While others wanted a flat deposit all at once (ie. one time payment of $1,500).

It sounds like a lot, but when you factor in all the costs of applying, flying out to interviews, etc., it is just a small portion of the total cost of getting into d-school. Plus it is a deposit, so you get it back from whatever school you end up attending.

For me, some wanted graduated deposits (ie. $500 immediately, $500 in a few months, and then another payment over the summer).

While others wanted a flat deposit all at once (ie. one time payment of $1,500).

It sounds like a lot, but when you factor in all the costs of applying, flying out to interviews, etc., it is just a small portion of the total cost of getting into d-school. Plus it is a deposit, so you get it back from whatever school you end up attending.

So you get your deposit back from the school that you're attending...but how about if you got multiple acceptances and put your deposit in the other schools?

So you get your deposit back from the school that you're attending...but how about if you got multiple acceptances and put your deposit in the other schools?

Well aren't you a little optimistic... haha, just kidding.

Yes, you are correct that you lose out on all the other deposits. But you don't HAVE to put down a deposit on every acceptance. Say you get a couple acceptances on Dec. 1st. You will have 45 days before you have to submit a deposit to any of those schools. That will give you more than enough time to narrow that down to one school, thus only paying one deposit.

If you get an additional acceptance after those first 45 days (now the middle of January), you will have 30 days to submit a deposit if you want to attend that school more so than the one you are already deposited at.

I don't know where I am really going with this but... You will probably only end up paying a few deposits max, with many students only putting down one or two deposits. Yes you lose out on that money, but that is no different than the money wasted on the applications, secondaries, and interviews to all the other schools you applied to. It's all part of the game, and we all know it is going to be expensive.

Well aren't you a little optimistic... haha, just kidding.

Yes, you are correct that you lose out on all the other deposits. But you don't HAVE to put down a deposit on every acceptance. Say you get a couple acceptances on Dec. 1st. You will have 45 days before you have to submit a deposit to any of those schools. That will give you more than enough time to narrow that down to one school, thus only paying one deposit.

If you get an additional acceptance after those first 45 days (now the middle of January), you will have 30 days to submit a deposit if you want to attend that school more so than the one you are already deposited at.

I don't know where I am really going with this but... You will probably only end up paying a few deposits max, with many students only putting down one or two deposits. Yes you lose out on that money, but that is no different than the money wasted on the applications, secondaries, and interviews to all the other schools you applied to. It's all part of the game, and we all know it is going to be expensive.

Well, one acceptance is all i'm asking for, but hey i like to have choices. Seriously though, these schools really know how to put a hole in your wallet...

As far as I know, that deposit is applied to the first-year tuition at the d-school so that it's not refunded or returned :D