Post Undergraduate Research Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kj8210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I graduated in May 2014 and am currently doing a gap year where I am working in a hospital and also working on my shadowing experience. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I could find research opportunities other than the ones offered only to undergraduate students. I see so many for sophomores and juniors in undergraduate programs but can't seem to find a thing for individuals with degrees already. Any advice would help. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tech jobs are your best bet. May be hard to find one at a university, but there are plenty in Biotechs and pharma. These are typically full-time jobs though so I don't know how that would fit into your schedule if you also work at a hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
universities and hospitals will have a career/jobs page. Go to that and look at research assistant positions. Pharma and biotechs are great also if you live around any. Again best way is to go and apply to jobs directly through the websites. Maybe consider looking for positions on Monster and careerbuilder which is how I found my job.

If your working at a hospital, try to get a hold of their research department. Several hospitals are performing research but don't necessarily advertise programs for students. Since you already have a foot in the door, it wouldn't hurt to ask if you could help out in a project and turn it into something larger down the road

I was offered two different positions by inquiring within the department of my interest (RadOnc).

Your mileage may vary, though, depending on the department you're interested in.

I second the NIH postbac option. Lots to do in the greater DC area, solid biomed research in basically whatever you are interested and a large post-bac community.

Have a look at websites for hospital and research institutions advertising for a technician ....lots of people do that after they graduate for a year or two while applying to med school and from the people I have seen do it, its very successful. I would email some PI's at various labs too. Technician is definitely the way to go

You work in a hospital... Ask the people you work for!

Tons of research going on in many hospital, be it basic science or clinical.