Postdoc to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RTKdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation, I always dreamt of becoming a pediatrician but while in undergrad my GPA was not good. To my pleasure I discovered that I also loved research and decided it was a good way to stay in science and I would then pursue my MD when I was done.
Well, I am now done :) I"m currently a postdoc trying to find time to study for MCATs next spring, which means I will go to med school in 2006. Is been a long way here and I feel I have a lot to offer to the medical field, I now have a decent GPA, 3.3 grad (and 2.6 undergrad) and I'm hoping for at least a 32 in the MCAT. I find myself still longing for the human contact which sometimes is limitted in a research lab and despite the odds, this is something I want to do.

Does anyone out there has any advise for me, is this even possible?
I appreciate your help.
RTNdoc

Members don't see this ad.

3.3 is rather low for grad school (inflated) GPA, having been through the PhD process myself. You probably won't get in at a top 25 school, but you should get in somewhere with your PhD. I would look at state schools and/or Carribean schools.

You'll probably also find more advice in the pre-allo forum since this forum is mostly visited by people interested in joint MD-PhD programs IN MED SCHOOL (not sequential from two schools).

GPA? I disagree. I think that once you have a graduate degree, along with a thesis and papers to back it up, as well as strong recommendations from people with whom you've worked closely, you are rather well set for medical school. I mean, really, if you can conduct research, why would it matter so much whether you have a 3.3 or a 4.0? Afterall, being a good doctor means being able to think through a problem and either develop a diagnosis or a research hypothesis, not just spitting out facts.

But since this is just an opinion, I would say you should talk to pre-med people at you college/graduate school/postdoc institution, or even contact schools directly and inquire about your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
mercaptovizadeh said:
GPA? I disagree. I think that once you have a graduate degree, along with a thesis and papers to back it up, as well as strong recommendations from people with whom you've worked closely, you are rather well set for medical school. I mean, really, if you can conduct research, why would it matter so much whether you have a 3.3 or a 4.0? Afterall, being a good doctor means being able to think through a problem and either develop a diagnosis or a research hypothesis, not just spitting out facts.

But since this is just an opinion, I would say you should talk to pre-med people at you college/graduate school/postdoc institution, or even contact schools directly and inquire about your chances.

I think you are right for MSTP programs. I feel like research background is very very important for MSTPs however not that much for MD programs. Overall, it is a reality that for MDs research is a "+" in your application but I do not think we can say papers can cover for insufficient GPA in most of the medschools. Maybe, papers combined with volunteer experience, some very outstanding ECs may help. However, if it was an MSTP application, things would be different. Most of the MSTP guys that I know first got into PhD(they were waitlisted in MDs), then MD had to let them in.

Yes, but since he already has a PhD (presumably in a biomedical science), it doesn't make much sense applying to an MSTP program - and I don't think they would accept him since he really doesn't need two PhD's.

If none of the top 25 schools would accept him (and I'm not sure that they wouldn't, and they would be FOOLS if they didn't) then perhaps he could apply to some medical schools in England or elsewhere in Europe (if he knows the languages). The standards for entry there are much lower, since all you need is a high school degree, but the education is not necessarily much weaker. Research facilities are of course not as good, but that doesn't mean the physicians are not competent and excellent.

Bottom line, you sound like a great candidate for biomedical research; I suggest you apply to medical schools both in the US and in Europe (or elsewhere if you wish). You shouldn't go the Caribbean route, in my opinion.

mercaptovizadeh said:
I think that once you have a graduate degree, along with a thesis and papers to back it up, as well as strong recommendations from people with whom you've worked closely, you are rather well set for medical school.

I disagree. Your statement is very logical, but it doesn't reflect the real world so well. Unfortunately, medical schools are going to look at all that research as an excellent extracirricular and move on. It won't make up for a sub-par GPA and MCAT. That being said, the op does have a 3.3 cum, which isn't bad, and if they can pull a good MCAT (32+ would be nice like the op said), I think they stand a good chance. I wouldn't expect the op to get in with say a 25 MCAT, however.

Medical school admissions are very numbers driven. It's kind of sad, but it's very true.

That's good to know, Neuronix. In which case, perhaps it would be best if RTKdoc studied really hard and aimed for a high 30s or low 40s on the MCAT; it's hard, but it seems to be the "easiest" way to counterbalance the GPA.

Neuronix said:
That being said, the op does have a 3.3 cum, which isn't bad, and if they can pull a good MCAT (32+ would be nice like the op said), I think they stand a good chance. I wouldn't expect the op to get in with say a 25 MCAT, however.

The OP actually had a 3.3 GRAD (not cumulative) GPA, which was why I thought he had a better shot with mid to lower tier schools.

tofurious said:
The OP actually had a 3.3 GRAD (not cumulative) GPA, which was why I thought he had a better shot with mid to lower tier schools.

Oh, you're right. That cum GPA is going to be a real hinderance trying to get into medical school. I don't know if it'll be possible at all with a cum under 3.0.