Posted in wrong section- What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WishfulMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started college in 2011 and have had a lot of set backs.

First semester of college my mom was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer, took 16 courses made all A's except for one F when I took my mom to her doctors appointments

A year later I had my appendix rupture and had 2 surgeries, very complicated and was in hospital over a month
Went two years with having pain and when I moved and finally went into a different hospital they saw remaining pieces of my appendix which lead to another two weeks in the hospital. So I now have about 8 or 9 more W's on my transcript.

Anyway, right now I have a 3.7 gap and good clinical, shadowing, volunteering and research experience from a couple years back but am now on academic suspension because of all my W's.

Is there anything I can do, or should I just accept that medicine won't work out?

Members don't see this ad.

well looks like you have very compelling reasons for your setbacks.

you need to ace your mcat. as i usually say, a gpa is an indicator of your long term ability and many things can happen during that time which may affect it. an mcat is how well you do short term. you can still show adcoms you're a smart applicant if you nail this exam.

keep gaining more shadowing and clinical experience. get into research and get a publication out of it as well.

write a killer personal statement about your mom and your condition

hope for the best.

Yes, you need an MCAT score. A 3.7 GPA is about the average for US MD matriculants. Anticipate that they will ask you about your Ws at an interview and have an answer prepared in advance: it sounds like you have a good reason why you had to withdraw.