Poster presentation vs Abstract listing for ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatDad26

MS2
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I did a poster presentation for a national conference, and this conference's society also publishes the abstracts as a supplementary to their journal, would this be listed as BOTH a poster presentation and an abstract for ERAS? Or would I just list it as an abstract?

A thread from way back (ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ) said you can double dip and listed as both, but want to check on this as it seems sort of sketchy.

Members don't see this ad.

If I did a poster presentation for a national conference, and this conference's society also publishes the abstracts as a supplementary to their journal, would this be listed as BOTH a poster presentation and an abstract for ERAS? Or would I just list it as an abstract?

A thread from way back (ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ) said you can double dip and listed as both, but want to check on this as it seems sort of sketchy.
That thread is probably way outdated. It's literally 15 years old

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

You can do both, but I think PDs will see right through it. I would just put one and then put a comment underneath that it was also presented at X conference/published in X journal.
I'm no expert, but I dont see a lot of that stuff changing at all by today's standards.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can and absolutely should list it under both. Everyone else will.

Reactions: 3 users
You can do both, but I think PDs will see right through it. I would just put one and then put a comment underneath that it was also presented at X conference/published in X journal.

I'm no expert, but I dont see a lot of that stuff changing at all by today's standards.
Why not? ERAS has literally changed dramatically just in the last few years

People still ask questions and respond in that thread. This is what I said when this question was asked relatively recently: ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

I would only call this a poster because they are the same work presented in different formats. Clearly some people choose to double dip because ERAS lets you. That is not disingenuous, but for an n=1 of how that is perceived, when I see people obviously listing the same thing in multiple formats my eyes glaze over and I assume that all the research is probably crap because they're trying to inflate their numbers.

List it as one thing. If you list it as a publication, don't list it as a poster. If you list it as a poster, don't list the abstract as a publication. Don't double list.

There's nothing stopping you from listing it as both, but anyone that actually looks at them will just count them as one entry and know that you're double dipping. Even on my CV I only bother listing conference abstracts if I wasn't the presenting author.