Posterior Axillary Boost Indications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayQuah

Connect Four Champion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm two weeks into my breast rotation and I figured its time for my first n00b question:
Do your institutions employ post. axillary boost field? What are the indications? Any data to support it?
As far as I can tell, it seems like we use it for everyone that is getting treated to the SCV nodes that has gross extanodal extension in the axilla...how say you?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not aware of any data supporting the use of PAB. Most studies looking into this suggest that having microscopic extranodal extension is a poor prognostic factor but it does not necessary portend for axillary failure and does not indicate a need for full axillary RT.

Many rad oncs would give full axillary RT for gross extranodal extension or in other circumstances where there is a high risk of having gross residual disease or microscopic disease remaining in the axilla. Again, I don't think there's any data to back up this practice.

There are a few times when I had patients I treated only the lymphatics using only anterior supraclav fields (no axillary boost) and they developed isolated axillary failures. These are times when I wish I could have gone back and treated with an axillary boost, although I'm not sure it would have always made a difference. In high risk patients, I'd rather risk a chance of lymphedema (which is manageable) than have cancer recurrence (which most often is not).

That being said, I don't use an axillary boost field routinely when I treat the supracalv, but only in instances where I feel there is a high risk of having untreated disease in the axillary nodes.

Also, it should be mentioned that a PAB field is not per se the ideal method of giving tumoricidal dose to the axillary nodes. A number of dosimetric studies challenge the use of the historic PAB fields and suggest other methods of giving adequate dose to the axilla.

A few references:
Pierce, PMID 7673012
Grills, PMID 12788171
Mignano, PMID 10506712

I'm two weeks into my breast rotation and I figured its time for my first n00b question:
Do your institutions employ post. axillary boost field? What are the indications? Any data to support it?
As far as I can tell, it seems like we use it for everyone that is getting treated to the SCV nodes that has gross extanodal extension in the axilla...how say you?

For many patients who meet the classical indications for full axillary RT (i.e. gross ECE, inadequate dissection, >50% LN+), a SCV field will provide an appropriate dose to the axillary calc point. I don't use a PAB on those patients. If the dose to the calc point is inadequate (I use 95% of Rx as a cut off), I'll use a PAB to flush in the missing dose.

To be clear, I don't use a PAB to give the level II lymphatics a higher dose than the rest of the SCV volume.

For many patients who meet the classical indications for full axillary RT (i.e. gross ECE, inadequate dissection, >50% LN+), a SCV field will provide an appropriate dose to the axillary calc point. I don't use a PAB on those patients. If the dose to the calc point is inadequate (I use 95% of Rx as a cut off), I'll use a PAB to flush in the missing dose.

agreed. Sometimes, in a big patient, you'll need a PA field to get adequate dose to the SCV. And sometimes, the classic PAB field doesn't even cover the axilla that well in some patients.